• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

El Cheapo Smoke of the Day - 2023

$2.47 Cain Straight Ligero 4 x 60 Maduro - by Oliva - from a large Oliva sampler pack.

Nicaraguan with an Maduro wrapper. This one was a bit strong for me. I had to set it down and come back to it later. Still, it was a good smoke

Puffy rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

View attachment 75692

Yeah, they're not for the faint of heart. Oliva only started making them in the NUB vitola past couple years... Oliva owns both Cain and NUB, so makes sense. Even just the robusto is one you want to have a full stomach first.. and definitely keep something sugary nearby if too powerful.

Here's the ligero breakdown from the box itself:

20170527_165820-1.jpg

They pair quite nice with a good craft rootbeer or cream soda... plus you get the sugar to keep the strength at bay.

< $1 - Flor de Filipinas Robusto Natural 5 x 52. Hand rolled in the Phillipines.

"Premium, hand rolled, smooth-medium bodied cigar made from the same top notch, imported Cuban-seed tobaccos that you love."

Nice mellow smoke. This is my sixth one of these, from a 25 stick bundle. So far, so good. Decent construction and an even burn.

Puffy rating: ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Flor de Phillipines.jpg

These are not exactly El Cheapo, but at $4.16 ea/delivered, it felt like it was a good deal.

Davidoff Classic Series Primeros Maduro Nicaragua.
These are little 4 1/8 x 34 mini cigars, packed in a nice tin.

A well constructed medium/full cigar that smoked a lot longer than I would have guessed. Very well behaved.

Puffy rating: ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ 🌟

Mini Davidoff.jpg

$1.87 Victor Sinclair Primero 6 x 60 - from a large sampler pack of VS cigars.

The "everyday" price for this sampler is 40 cigars/$110. ($2.75/ea)

Mellow Dominican, with Dominican long leaf fillers and a Connecticut wrapper.

It's a good early morning pairing with instant coffee. :)

VS Primero.jpg

< $3 - La Palina Nicaragua Oscuro 6 x 50. These closeout cigars sported the old bands, and appear to be sold out. Also, this particular blend appears to have been discontinued in the current La Palina line.

Nicaraguan - Tabacalera Fernandez
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Oscuro
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan

Medium stick with good construction, a nice draw, and a decent burn. This is stick #4 from the new box, which has been in the humidor at 68% since October.

Not too shabby !

La Palina Oscuro.jpg

Back to basics. I'm into my second 50-bundle of these 71-cent cigars. So far, so good.

Short/mixed fillers in a Connecticut wrapper. Hand rolled in the Philipines. A decent mellow smoke. The wrappers on some of these are a bit lumpy but they have (so far) all smoked well.

One of the finer el cheapo el cheapo smokes available.

Puffy rating: ⭐⭐⭐ 1/2

1000006769.jpg

$1.08 Odyssey Maduro Robusto in the 5.5 x 43 Corona size. A medium stick with an Honduran binder and an Maduro wrapper - from the Plasencia factory in Nicaragua (blender not mentioned).

These arrived a bit wet, but two months at 68% has straightened them out nicely.
A decent el cheapo smoke, especially in this price range.

Puffy rating: ⭐⭐⭐ 5/8

Odyssey Maduro.jpg

Victor Sinclair Primeros. Very mild smoke.

Dominican, with Dominican binders/fillers and Connecticut wrapper.
Everyday online price - about $4.50 - - Puff promotional price - $1.40
Smoked well.

View attachment 71048

There's a box and a half of these (the fancy version) in the tote - but this one was on the loose, an escapee from some earlier mondo poor boy sampler. May, I think.

These Churchill sized sticks take two sessions to smoke.

Puffy rating: ⭐⭐⭐ 3/4

VS Primero.jpg

Sitting in my recliner this morning with a blanket and a nice cup of coffee.

$2.58 Gilberto Oliva Reserva Blanc, from a large Oliva sampler pack that's been resting in the 68% box since May, I think.

Mellow+ Nicaraguan stick with an Habano binder and an Ecuador Connecticut wrapper.

About $7 everyday online.

Nice smoke. Excellent draw, and very even burn.

Gilberto Oliva Reserva Blanc Torpedo.jpg

$1.87 Victor Sinclair Vintage Select 6 x 60 - from a large sampler pack of VS cigars.

Dominican, with Dominican long leaf fillers and an Brazilian Maduro wrapper.

Four months in the 68% box, and smoking very well indeed.

If any of you cost conscious shoppers find these for less than three bucks in a toro or torpedo, please let me know. I could use another box.

Puffy rating ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ 1/2

VS Vintage Select.jpg

Last edited:
Ron Mexico 7 x 48.

These are 20 sticks for $32.99 everyday, but a recent 30% off plus free shipping brings them down to just $1.18 ea., delivered.

This one has been in the humidor for a little more than six months.

A mild and mostly unremarkable Dominican stick in which the literature claims long fillers, all rolled up in an Connecticut wrapper.

Well constructed with a light draw and an excellent burn.

Puffy rating: ⭐⭐⭐ 1/3

Rn Mexico.jpg

Last edited: