• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

El Cheapo Smoke of the Day - 2023

La Perla Habana Black Pearl Morado Toro.

A mellow/medium Nicaraguan with an Cameroon wrapper. Smooth.

About four bucks online. Puffy price: $1.60.

I admit that I smoked this one right off of the truck - and it smoked well, but the wrapper is a bit thin, and I got a crack in the last 1/3. Some time in the humidor may help that.

Pretty nice cigar for a buck-sixty.

Puffy rating: ⭐⭐⭐ 1/2

La Perla Habana cigar.jpg

Drew Estate - Tabak Especial Cafecitas 4 x 32.

Five tins of ten little cigars each will set you back $75 ($1.50/stick). $60 on sale takes that to $1.20.

These arrived in shrink-wrapped tins with a small Boveda pack in each tin that was the consistency of a saltine cracker. Still, the cigars are burning evenly and staying lit.

A lightly sweet tip, and a nice aroma of coffee and chocolate.
Smooth little stick that goes well with morning coffee.

Puffy rating: ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

tabuk.jpgtabuk tin.jpg

< $1 - Flor de Filipinas Robusto Natural 5 x 52. Hand rolled in the Phillipines.

Nice mellow smoke. This is my second one of these, from a 25 stick bundle. So far, so good.

View attachment 74283

Now smoking #5 from the same box. These have been consistent, mild sticks that burn well and stay lit.

Puffy Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

1000006531.jpg

Oliva Serie G - in a box-pressed 4.5 x 50.
Nicaraguan, with Nicaraguan Habano long-fillers and an African Cameroon wrapper.

Everyday online price $7.
About $2.50 for you cost conscious shoppers.

Medium strength. Nice, even smoke that burned well and stayed lit.

Puffy rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

View attachment 75172
I've said it before and I'll repeat it again. This is a very good Cameroon wrapped cigar. Price point is fantastic.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it again. This is a very good Cameroon wrapped cigar. Price point is fantastic.

Yup. Here's a little secret, if you're a Fuente fan.. the same wrappers that adorns many of their best cigars, including the Don Carlos, are the same Cameroon wrappers as the Serie G.

Same seed line, just different fermentation and pilon aging process. Now, the long fillers are a completely different story, but both are excellent in their own way while sharing the same cloak progenitor.

ETA: Sorry Michael, meant to reply to @PuffTheMagicDragon .. I'm pretty sure you probably knew this already!

I bought a large sampler pack of Oliva cigars in June at $2.47 ea/delivered.

So, five+ months in the humidor at ~68%.

Olivia Connecticut Reserve. Mellow/medium Nicaraguan, with Nicaraguan long fillers and binder, with an Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper.

Well constructed stick, and burned exceptionally well. A nice smooth smoke, especially at this price point.

Puffy rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 1/3

Oliva-1.jpgOliva-2.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a large sampler pack of Oliva cigars in June at $2.47 ea/delivered.

So, five+ months in the humidor at ~68%.

Olivia Connecticut Reserve. Mellow/medium Nicaraguan, with Nicaraguan long fillers and binder, with an Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper.

Well constructed stick, and burned exceptionally well. A nice smooth smoke, especially at this price point.

Puffy rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 1/3

View attachment 75289View attachment 75290

One of my favorite connies... CI had a fantastic Oliva combo deal when you bought a box.. and then I had a free shipping AND 20% coupon code.. all this for a tick under a bill..

20211217_193622.jpg

20211220_190023.jpg

I bought it twice.. each one came with a hat, cutter, torch, and branded keychain bottle opener. All look and work great, hat is made very well, durable and comfy... cutter body is hardened plastic, but the blades are stainless and razor sharp. I was happy with it all.

$2.47 Gurkha Cask Blend Gordo Perfecto.

Medium Dominican with a habano wrapper. Undisclosed filler.

About $8. Probably $5 online.
Good construction with an even burn.
Just a nice smoke. Smooth.

Puffy rating: ⭐⭐⭐ 3/4

1000006524.jpg

Last edited:
Great deal for the price

And do note, I've tried posting links before to da Page numerous times, and yes folks, ya gotta copy and paste it in your browser to work... still not sure why.

La Perla Habana Black Pearl Morado Toro.

A mellow/medium Nicaraguan with an Cameroon wrapper. Smooth.

About four bucks online. Puffy price: $1.60.

I admit that I smoked this one right off of the truck - and it smoked well, but the wrapper is a bit thin, and I got a crack in the last 1/3. Some time in the humidor may help that.

Pretty nice cigar for a buck-sixty.

Puffy rating: ⭐⭐⭐ 1/2

View attachment 75083
One of the first full box purchases I ever made (many years ago) was the Black Pearls. I had completely forgotten about those.

Last edited:
$1.08 Odyssey Connecticut Robusto. A mild Nicaraguan with an Connecticut wrapper.

Everyday online price 20 sticks/$29.99 at CI.

Good construction, excellent burn.

Puffy rating: ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ 1/2

1000006597.jpg

Victor Sinclair Fumas Lonsdale Maduro 6 x 42.
Box of 50 / $54.99 everyday online price. A little less for you coupon shoppers.

The first one is #14 from a box of 50. I fought this one - and lost. Simply wouldn't draw. The dang thing wouldn't smoke in the pipe, either.

Puffy rating: ⭐

1000006618.jpg

Not to be dissuaded, I went back to Mr. Humidor and got the stick that was next to it. Identical appearance, but it smoked sooo nice.

Puffy rating ⭐⭐⭐ 2/3

1000006620.jpg

La Differencia Cubana. A nice mellow+ stick that smoked well and stayed lit.

Dominican, with an sun grown Nicaraguan wrapper.

They're 40 sticks/$72.50 everyday online price - but hey, 30% off of that puts them nicely in the El Cheapo thread !

This one had a lumpy construction that didn't bother it at all.

Puffy rating: ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ 3/4

1000006615.jpg
1000006617.jpg

Last edited:
La Differencia Cubana. A nice mellow+ stick that smoked well and stayed lit.

Dominican, with an sun grown Nicaraguan wrapper.

They're 40 sticks/$72.50 everyday online price - but hey, 30% off of that puts them nicely in the El Cheapo thread !

This one had a lumpy construction that didn't bother it at all.

Puffy rating: ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ 3/4

View attachment 75606
View attachment 75607

The lumpiness is common with them and adds to their charm. In that regard, they're not much different than many people I know and love.

Oh, and also my mother's mashed potatoes... as I was just reminded of yesterday!

< $3 La Aurora Cameroon - in the handy 5 x 50 Robusto size.
A medium Dominican, with Dominican and Nicaraguan long fillers, Ecuadorian Sumatra binder, and a Cameroon wrapper.

The bands on these were either an old style, or maybe a limited run (and on sale). I couldn't find any more like this. You can get the new style bands from Cigar Page for about five bucks, everyday. Just assuming it's the same stick.

This one has been resting @68% for about six weeks.

Very well constructed stick. Excellent draw and a slow, even burn. A bit more spice than I usually like, but it was still quite tasty.

La Aurora Cameroon.jpg
nubs.jpg

Last edited:
< $3 La Aurora Cameroon - in the handy 5 x 50 Robusto size.
A medium Dominican, with Dominican and Nicaraguan long fillers, Ecuadorian Sumatra binder, and a Cameroon wrapper.

The bands on these were either an old style, or maybe a limited run (and on sale). I couldn't find any more like this. You can get the new style bands from Cigar Page for about five bucks, everyday. Just assuming it's the same stick.

This one has been resting @68% for about six weeks.

Very well constructed stick. Excellent draw and a slow, even burn. A bit more spice than I usually like, but it was still quite tasty.

View attachment 75639

Brings back memories. La Aurora was a staple for me when I first started smoking cigars. (circa 1996)