• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Famous / notorious ancestry?

My Grandmother was an illiterate Italian immigrant who made a lot of money bootlegging. Her maiden name would be familiar to many of you. We don't talk about it.

Doc.

My mother's line is the House of Bold (England). Hereditary title/property/serfs were granted when the House founder was knighted after some battle. The House degraded to scoundrels late 18th century and said title/property were stripped and the House "moved" to South Africa for a new start.

...and my Dad was a MARINE.

I have a long list of famous family members, too many to put in one place. I do however have a family portrait that shows a bunch of them, I'm the guy with the big nose on the bottom left.

muppets.jpg

And here's another shot with some distant cousins of mine:

doll_tomy_fraggles.jpg

I am descended from King Carl XIII by his illigitemate son Carl Lowenheilm. Most of my genealogay is sort of done for me.

This list of my family would be to long to even write in a single post. In fact, it would be a novel. Whats creepy is this. My dad side of the family and mother side was on the same ship in the early 1600's when they came over. Over the course of centuries in the good ole USA, the family has associated with many and many have become famous. On my dad side, my Great great grandfather was the neighbor of the James boys and did their horse shoeing. One of the girls supposedly married one of the James boys. His side also was related to the Dalton gang at one point.

Yeah, some real Outlaws on my dad side. One of them had over 18 kids that lived so most of the people in the USA with the same last name as me, are related at some point. Whether its the direct line or cousins. My mom side there wasn't much to note about it. I've traced the records of both sides back to early ship records from the early 1600's which was an impressive find within itself.

Now, there is towns with our name, counties, cites, schools, and even medical research buildings named after the family line. Like I said, its a laundry list which isn't even funny. At some point or another, they are all related by blood, even if its distant over the years. One was even a Governor.

If you did a search, you would be overwhelmed with it all. :thumbs:

Fascinating stuff, all.

Alan, who's the stupidest in MN? Can't be the same person I'm thinking of.

BMW, very cool story. I can't imagine the story he lived. I'll have to keep an eye out for his book. I just got done reading all the online links you posted. How sad to put your wife and son on a boat and say "so long, Franky, see you later." I don't think I'd be able to do the same. How cool that his remains were scattered over the site.

My only brush with "fame" or something like that would be on my mother's side. My grandmother's grandfather was William Jackman. He wrote a book in the 1850's about how he was shipwrecked off the Australian coast and held prisoner by a cannibal aborigine tribe. I'm reading the book right now. But you can get it on google free since it is in the public domain. It's called The Australian Captive. Pretty amazing story. He was a teenager when it all happened.

Cool stories by everyone so far. It never ceases to amaze me how everyone has a story. I don't care who you are or how boring you think your family is/was. Everyone has a story.

BR

Fascinating stuff, all.

Be thankful you don't know this person. After family meals and get togethers we are all less intelligent for having listened to their incessant jackassery.

Of course this is all just based on my analysis and it certainly may contain a certain amount of bias. I figure that puts me on par with most purveyors of news and information these days, so I think the observation is quite valid. :whistling:

First, the lesser one...my wife is directly related to a Capone-era mobster named Vern Miller. He was a decorated Army vet who learned how to drive and shoot a machine gun, and hence was a valued hit-man when he became associated with gangsters. He was eventually gunned down himself and we have seen some nice photos of his bullet-riddled blood-soaked body. Here he is:

My relative, a cousin of my grandfather, was Generaloberst Eugen Ritter von Schobert who served as a German officer during both WWI and WWII. He was awarded the Knight's Cross of he Military Order of Max Joseph, which was Bavaria's highest military honor, and which conferred a "patent of nobility" on a recipient who was a commoner. (Unfortunately, it came with no hereditary rights that I can claim). He was commander of the German 11th Army on the Russian front. He died in 1941 when his plane crashed in a Russian minefield. Here he is:

My father was a WWII draftee who attend Infantry OCS at Ft. Benning and fought in the Pacific theater against Imperial Japan. I guess he would have been torn if sent to the European theater to oppose his relatives.

Fascinating stuff, all.

Be thankful you don't know this person. After family meals and get togethers we are all less intelligent for having listened to their incessant jackassery.

Of course this is all just based on my analysis and it certainly may contain a certain amount of bias. I figure that puts me on par with most purveyors of news and information these days, so I think the observation is quite valid. :whistling:

LMAO! That's my new favorite word: jackassery!

:laugh: :thumbs: :laugh:

Very, very far related to Brad Pitt

and my ancestors originally owned the land that Daniel Boone national forest sits on

Legend has it that I'm somehow related to Adam and Eve :sign: , don't know how it works out, frankly don't want to know! :laugh:

In all seriousness though, my mother has always been big into genealogy so I'll have to ask her next time I talk to her if we have any notable relatives.

First, the lesser one...my wife is directly related to a Capone-era mobster named Vern Miller. He was a decorated Army vet who learned how to drive and shoot a machine gun, and hence was a valued hit-man when he became associated with gangsters. He was eventually gunned down himself and we have seen some nice photos of his bullet-riddled blood-soaked body.

My relative, a cousin of my grandfather, was Generaloberst Eugen Ritter von Schobert who served as a German officer during both WWI and WWII. He was awarded the Knight's Cross of he Military Order of Max Joseph, which was Bavaria's highest military honor, and which conferred a "patent of nobility" on a recipient who was a commoner. (Unfortunately, it came with no hereditary rights that I can claim). He was commander of the German 11th Army on the Russian front. He died in 1941 when his plane crashed in a Russian minefield. Here he is:

My father was a WWII draftee who attend Infantry OCS at Ft. Benning and fought in the Pacific theater against Imperial Japan. I guess he would have been torn if sent to the European theater to oppose his relatives.
Talk about really, really bad luck... twice.

NA

Johnny Depp is a cousin of mine having come from the same clan of the 'Wells' family in Kentucky. I have never met him but his mother has attended some of the family reunion events. Oddly, this same branch of the family has some more distant connection to Loretta Lynn and Crystal Gayle of country music fame.

I know my mother has traced back the family line in England pretty far. One ancestor was beheaded in London during the War of the Roses...another was apparently one of the first Governors of the state of Georgia. Maybe I need to pay more attention to my mother's ramblings about family history before BMW posts another thread like this! :blush:

My ancestor, William Arnold, arrived in the Bay Colony in 1639. After a winter with the Puritans he went south to sign the charter for Rhode Island with Roger Williams among others.

Benedict Arnold, who had no descendants, was the brother of one of my great-great-great (etc...) grandfathers.

My grandfather Arnold traced us back to Cadwalader, king of the Britons, who ruled from Abergavenny in Wales in 1100 AD. My son is the 28th generation of uninterrupted male succession to that throne. Sadly, his subjects seem to have taken a disliking to him and killed him, thus ending our family's reign!