• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fancy Labels Heavy metals?

MrPerfecto

I own a water purification company and we deal with all kinds of chemicals in water. Heavy metals are one of the major concerns we have when it comes to water. I pulled out a cigar today (La Riqueza) and saw that it has a gold fancy glittery label. I also noticed when I pull cigars like this out that there is this glittery like sparkle on the rest of the cigar (Not plume). So I was curious about what these labels are actually made of and what kind of chemicals are in the paint/glitter on these labels. Is this a potential health hazard? Anyone have info on label manufacturer for cigar labels. I was thinking about writing some of these cigar companies to see if they would reply and provide info on the companies making their bands. Just a thought. What is your take on this? Does it concern you you may be smoking harmful chemicals from these labels? I do not buy cigars to smoke the glitter from the label. It is rather annoying and concerning to me.

Most of us don't smoke the label, thus there's no concern about vaporizing and being exposed to heavy metals.

If this freaks you out, maybe cigars aren't for you, bro......

Why not just take off the label and use a piece of tissue to dust off the stick.

Can't say I've ever noticed this before...

I can honestly say I've never seen glitter on my cigars, even after trips to the gentlemens club which is where I suspect your glitter may be coming from Bill.

MrPerfecto said:
I own a water purification company and we deal with all kinds of chemicals in water. Heavy metals are one of the major concerns we have when it comes to water. I pulled out a cigar today (La Riqueza) and saw that it has a gold fancy glittery label. I also noticed when I pull cigars like this out that there is this glittery like sparkle on the rest of the cigar (Not plume). So I was curious about what these labels are actually made of and what kind of chemicals are in the paint/glitter on these labels. Is this a potential health hazard? Anyone have info on label manufacturer for cigar labels. I was thinking about writing some of these cigar companies to see if they would reply and provide info on the companies making their bands. Just a thought. What is your take on this? Does it concern you you may be smoking harmful chemicals from these labels? I do not buy cigars to smoke the glitter from the label. It is rather annoying and concerning to me.

I think what you might be noticing is the dried vegetable glue used to roll the cigars which is the same glue used on the labels. I've also noticed it but it isn't specific/related to "glittery labels"

Cigars are for me. The gold dust/ glitter definitely came form the label and was all over the cigar ( I do not smoke labels). I shouldn't have to dust off a premium cigar. It was just an inquiry. I put one in to tatuaje. Let's see if they answer it. If not I will just stop smoking these certain cigars. The cigar was tasty BTW.  

Assuming that the label does contain some heavy metals, I would have to wonder if the cigar gets hot enough to vaporize said metals. Case in point is the Daniel Marshall Gold Torpedo. The thing is covered in 24kt gold leaf. Supposedly, the fun is sifting through the ash for all the gold when your done.

It always makes me sort of chuckle to myself when people are worried about smoking harmful chemicals when they smoke cigars.  If it bothers you that much, just don't smoke that particular brand or cigar.  I doubt a company is going to change the way they make their bands.

You know, cigars aren't the healthiest lifestyle choice anyway.

I've seen the goldish flakes you speak of On the La Riqueza cigars before and never gave it much thought. Why don't you see if the lab you use for water sample testing can give you an idea. We have a young guy at the lab we use that I'm friendly with. I could see him doing something like that for me in his spare time if he was allowed. I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but curiosity does sometimes get the better of me....

I would be more worried about pesticide chemicals in the tobacco.  The vaporization temp of gold is 2600C (nothing to worry about if it is gold).  The only metal I can think of with a low enough vaporization temp is mercury (and possibly zinc, but thats a stretch).  If you worried about either of these, you got to ask yourself what possible plausible reason would a manufacturer ever add these to a band.