• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

fauxhiba esplendidos

Screw trying to prove that Rockbridge guy. He's probably an old decrepit man with no sense of reality. :laugh:

Trying to prove to the event coordinators that their goods are fake isn't going to work very well. They seem pretty hot headed (and irresponsible considering the fact that they received fake Cohibas).

If anything, go to their next HERF with a laptop and investigate any boxes that may seem fake. Print off the info. and notify the attendees of the event. It's not like we can collectively attack the coordinators and get the bidders money back. He made an illegal purchase and there's a good chance the money is already in the charities hands.

And nice job on bringing this to our attention. I feel bad for that poor bastard that bought those. In his defense, it did look like a pretty convincing fake.

Is this the poor guy that "won" 'em?

Charlie_Jack.jpg

Chewy won the fake cigars? :)
Chuey

It's not allowed there. The do have the right to determine content to protect themselves.

I have PMs in to determine not only who donated the boxes but to contact the person who won the auction box.

Great post.

I'm a little suprised they don't (allow) leave it up there. (edit)

Are they trying to protect the person who donated the prize?

Trying to prove to the event coordinators that their goods are fake isn't going to work very well. They seem pretty hot headed (and irresponsible considering the fact that they received fake Cohibas).

If anything, go to their next HERF with a laptop and investigate any boxes that may seem fake. Print off the info. and notify the attendees of the event. It's not like we can collectively attack the coordinators and get the bidders money back. He made an illegal purchase and there's a good chance the money is already in the charities hands.

If any of us knew that the boxes were fakes we wouldn't've had them in the auction. We accept donations expecting that those who do so are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, not trying to screw some poor bastard. The adage, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, comes to mind. Perhaps we are naive, but we have learned from our mistakes in the past and are learning now.

Please bring a laptop to the next event, the Lounge is WiFi accessible. Definitely bring it to our attention and we'll take anything that doesn't measure up away.

I would like to know which member of the event staff stated he doubted the authenticity of those boxes so I can take it up when we meet. PM me if you know his name or even if you have a description.

It's not allowed there. The do have the right to determine content to protect themselves.

I have PMs in to determine not only who donated the boxes but to contact the person who won the auction box.

Great post.

Do they not have a Cuban cigar forum anymore at CW? Why would openly discussing Cuban cigars be OK, but trying to determine counterfeits would not be? I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind that.....

If any of us knew that the boxes were fakes we wouldn't've had them in the auction.

I don't think anyone is accusing you or even the guy who donated them of trying to "pull one over" on everyone. The problem is why would it even be accepted if you have no clue about Cuban cigars? That is not acting in good-faith at all....that is acting carelessly without regard for people who are giving away hard earned money for something that is fake.

Maybe if CW wouldn't be so concerned with not publicly allowing discussion of counterfeit Cuban cigars this would not have happened.

This thread needs to be pinned somewhere under the heading of:

"Why it is NOT a good idea to delete posts and overmoderate."

Do they not have a Cuban cigar forum anymore at CW? Why would openly discussing Cuban cigars be OK, but trying to determine counterfeits would not be? I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind that.....

The reasoning is theirs, the board is cigarweekly, I'm sure the owner Renaissance Man, would be able to explain it better than me trying to guess

If any of us knew that the boxes were fakes we wouldn't've had them in the auction.

I don't think anyone is accusing you or even the guy who donated them of trying to "pull one over" on everyone. The problem is why would it even be accepted if you have no clue about Cuban cigars? That is not acting in good-faith at all....that is acting carelessly without regard for people who are giving away hard earned money for something that is fake.

Maybe if CW wouldn't be so concerned with not publicly allowing discussion of counterfeit Cuban cigars this would not have happened.
I'm not sure what CW has to do with this at all. They are not any more a sponsor than CP is. There has been no mention of the genuine cigars that were raffled/auctioned. I suppose if this were our full-time jobs and we were making money we would be responsible, but we're just a few guys who thought it would be nice to put on a FREE event that, in this day of tobacco bans, would be appreciated. And for the most part it was. You say that no one is accusing us and in the same breath you say that we acted without regard taking peoples hard earned money. I take issue with that. No one is getting a cent, all the money can be written off as a charitable tax deduction. Believe me I'm condoning this in the slightest, but to use legal terms to defend your point seems like adding gasoline to the fire.

We understand that you had only the best intentions with this however some poor bastard is cherishing a box of ragweed in his humidor that he just dropped $300 for. :blush:

The reasoning is theirs, the board is cigarweekly, I'm sure the owner Renaissance Man, would be able to explain it better than me trying to guess

I'm not sure what CW has to do with this at all. They are not any more a sponsor than CP is. There has been no mention of the genuine cigars that were raffled/auctioned. I suppose if this were our full-time jobs and we were making money we would be responsible, but we're just a few guys who thought it would be nice to put on a FREE event that, in this day of tobacco bans, would be appreciated. And for the most part it was. You say that no one is accusing us and in the same breath you say that we acted without regard taking peoples hard earned money. I take issue with that. No one is getting a cent, all the money can be written off as a charitable tax deduction. Believe me I'm condoning this in the slightest, but to use legal terms to defend your point seems like adding gasoline to the fire.

It does sound like a great event and was certainly for a great cause; doing something like this for charity is to be commended. The problem, as is the same with "rockbridge" on CW, seems to be you think this is a dig at the Herf. I have yet to see one post where anyone says anything bad about the Herf. The problem is the box of cigars and the response at CW when it was brought up that they were indeed fake. It looks as though the people on that board were trying to protect others who frankly, F*cked up. Not to mention not an apology from "rockbridge" to mrtapes for his idiotic rants.

To say "it is all for charity and no one is making a dime and it can be used as a tax credit so we don't have any responsibility" is very disappointing. You do have a responsibility. I'm sorry you take issue with my statement, but I can assure you if I was the poor guy who spent my money on a box of fake Cuban cigars, I would take issue with your response. That is complete disregard for your fellow cigar lovers. This doesn't have to revolve around legal terms to convey the right message. Take responsibility and stop trying to make excuses or defend those that don't deserve it.

I saw the box. I've never heard of or seen 2005 Esplendido A/T's until Sat....that's because they don't make legit ones.

Part of the fault lies with those who noticed and did not comment right then and there....that would be me.

It's a mistake I will not let happen again - especailly when 3 or 4 of us were in agreement.

Funny, now that I think about it, I wonder....did they only announce 'Cohiba Esplendido's' or did they add a comment like 'from an island' - as with the other 'island' items they had?

Either way...it was a mistake to not speak up.

Also - I don't think they came from a 'vendor' - rather someone donated the cigars.

I did mention it to one of the organizers. He admitted they were in question and asked my opinion on what I thought.
That's where I said that what I would do is say, 'thanks but no thanks' to the donation. The cigars were donated originally by someone attending the event and not a vendor. Then they were raffled off a box at a time (there were two boxes, one full the other missing three "tubos") The full box was given back after being won at raffle and then was auctioned off.

Anyway, Thanks so much for all of the comments on my behalf.
I really appreciate you guys looking out for a brother!
That means a lot!!!!

Edited to add:

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!

What an incredible FUBAR by Rockridge! Plainly mrtapes was fine in what he said and did regardless of the questionable actions of others.

Here's what I posted on CW.
"
Favorite Quote:Why does this keep HAPPENING???
This was a VERY disturbing thread no matter how Rockridge tries to redeem it now.
It seems a shame to me that understandable defensiveness immediately turned to repeated and persistent personal attack.
Perhaps we have forgotten that "PRIDE" remains one of the deadly sins. A little humility on Rockridge's part would have rescued the situation without this incredible uproar and corresponding loss of time and effort.
JMHO."

Is this the poor guy that "won" 'em?

Charlie_Jack.jpg

Chewy won the fake cigars? :)

No, the orginal winner donated the cigars back to be auctioned off.

'Chewy' (if that is who this is) won the bidding on the auction.

Al

And Chewy should never learn of this until he has had time to smoke all of his prized cigars. As Moki's blind test help show, perception is everything. He donated good money to a charity, and he should be allowed to savor his prize. Just my .02

The problem is why would it even be accepted if you have no clue about Cuban cigars? That is not acting in good-faith at all....that is acting carelessly without regard for people who are giving away hard earned money for something that is fake.
I think the word you're searching for is "negligent." You can't wipe away negligence with good intentions.

Personal integrity is the foundation of all things. Failing that, there can be no organizational integrity. It might seem harsh, but think about to whom your first responsibility lies.

Wilkey

Great post.

Great to hear Al.

I'm sure it will work itself out. :thumbs:

It does sound like a great event and was certainly for a great cause; doing something like this for charity is to be commended. The problem, as is the same with "rockbridge" on CW, seems to be you think this is a dig at the Herf. I have yet to see one post where anyone says anything bad about the Herf. The problem is the box of cigars and the response at CW when it was brought up that they were indeed fake. It looks as though the people on that board were trying to protect others who frankly, F*cked up. Not to mention not an apology from "rockbridge" to mrtapes for his idiotic rants.

To say "it is all for charity and no one is making a dime and it can be used as a tax credit so we don't have any responsibility" is very disappointing. You do have a responsibility. I'm sorry you take issue with my statement, but I can assure you if I was the poor guy who spent my money on a box of fake Cuban cigars, I would take issue with your response. That is complete disregard for your fellow cigar lovers. This doesn't have to revolve around legal terms to convey the right message. Take responsibility and stop trying to make excuses or defend those that don't deserve it.

Look I'm going to drop this now as i see you are only trying to flame me so you can call me another one of the event planner hotheads. The person, who your board has referred to as a shmuck and poor bastard has been notified, but I'm sure this is of no conern to you as it won't allow to continue to make disparaging remarks.

As my only resposibilty is to create the posters and keep track of who registers, I would like to let those who did attend that I appreciate them coming, I hope they had a good time, and to look for NERF2009 on other boards as we are obviously not welcome on CigarPass.

I think in general we're all on the same page in saying that we understand this wasn't a preconceived, malicious attempt at selling fake Cohiba's. That's not the problem. As has been said, it's Rockridge's arrogance and immaturity that has caused this to spiral out of control.

Lessons to be learned:

1. When dealing with commonly counterfeited items, be sure to know your source, especially before selling them as an authentic product (charitable or not).

2. Do not become defensive when someone with good intentions politely brings something of serious concern to your attention. Do not assume someone to be attacking you.

3. Learn when to give up. Childish tactics such as publicly posting PMs and blah, blah, blah-ing someone makes you look like a fool.

4. Make things right. Yup, they're fakes. That sucks. The original purchaser needs to be made aware of the mishap so the problem can work itself out.

Then when you're done... no hard feelings! It's a bummer when stuff like this happens, but dealing with this situation in a better way would have been a lot easier and left every party with their dignity intact.

Look I'm going to drop this now as i see you are only trying to flame me so you can call me another one of the event planner hotheads. The person, who your board has referred to as a shmuck and poor bastard has been notified, but I'm sure this is of no conern to you as it won't allow to continue to make disparaging remarks.

As my only resposibilty is to create the posters and keep track of who registers, I would like to let those who did attend that I appreciate them coming, I hope they had a good time, and to look for NERF2009 on other boards as we are obviously not welcome on CigarPass.

Whoa, it's getting warmer in here. I know I am nowhere NEAR a FOG, I am still a FNG on here, so if I am out of line FOGs; please advise. But I would just like to point out again, what Mike33 has stated in the following:

"The problem, as is the same with "rockbridge" on CW, seems to be you think this is a dig at the Herf. I have yet to see one post where anyone says anything bad about the Herf. The problem is the box of cigars and the response at CW when it was brought up that they were indeed fake."

MadAl, I understand as an event planner, you've put sweat and personal time into it, the NERF is your baby. Ultimately the discussion is concerning the fauxhibas, not on the actual Herf you guys put on. I'm not going to stroke your ego and say that everyone thought the Herf was awesome, because people have already stated so. But don't guide Mike33's postings out of context.

Flame you? Disparaging remarks? All b/c I called you out on not taking responsibility for something you ran? All of your posts on this thread have come across as immature and not wanting to address the issue. Some people just don't get "IT" I suppose.

Actually it is of concern to me and apparently everyone else b/c THAT IS ALL WE WERE CONCERNED ABOUT. We wanted to make sure this guy was taken care of b/c you couldn't do that at the time. If you would have checked the authenticity beforehand instead of "well we are doing this for charity so we don't have to care," I wouldn't be wasting precious minutes of my life typing to someone who lacks the capacity to comprehend. I mean, what planet are you on? (That might be considered flaming).

Once again, take responsibility and quit playing the victim.