• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

fauxhiba esplendidos

The problem is why would it even be accepted if you have no clue about Cuban cigars? That is not acting in good-faith at all....that is acting carelessly without regard for people who are giving away hard earned money for something that is fake.
I think the word you're searching for is "negligent." You can't wipe away negligence with good intentions.

Personal integrity is the foundation of all things. Failing that, there can be no organizational integrity. It might seem harsh, but think about to whom your first responsibility lies.

Wilkey

Reckless would be more appropriate in this case Wilkey b/c they were, or at the very least, should have been been aware of the dangers in placing "Cuban" cigars up for auction when they had no clue about what they were dealing with.

Edited to add: The part in bold above is what this is all about MadAl.

The problem is why would it even be accepted if you have no clue about Cuban cigars? That is not acting in good-faith at all....that is acting carelessly without regard for people who are giving away hard earned money for something that is fake.
I think the word you're searching for is "negligent." You can't wipe away negligence with good intentions.

Personal integrity is the foundation of all things. Failing that, there can be no organizational integrity. It might seem harsh, but think about to whom your first responsibility lies.

Wilkey
Reckless would be more appropriate in this case Wilkey b/c they were, or at the very least, should have been been aware of the dangers in placing "Cuban" cigars up for auction when they had no clue about what they were dealing with.
Yup. That'll work too. Either way, it ain't good.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Wilkey

Is this the poor guy that "won" 'em?

Charlie_Jack.jpg

Chewy won the fake cigars? :)
Chuey
chuy.jpg

Real Chuey (Chelsea Lately anyone?) Humor aside, I do feel badly for the guy in the photo. He was obviously a proud winner of something he thought was kick ass.

The person, who your board has referred to as a shmuck and poor bastard has been notified, but I'm sure this is of no conern to you as it won't allow to continue to make disparaging remarks.

To be fair, what I stated was: "Sad thing is, some schmuck who donated those cigars likely paid a pretty penny for 'em..." -- in reading it now, I realize it doesn't come off as intended. I meant to say "poor schmuck" is in, genuine sympathy for a person who got taken by a scam artist, and doesn't know it.

For what it's worth.

Great post.

I'm a little suprised they don't (allow) leave it up there. (edit)

Are they trying to protect the person who donated the prize?

The only real way to protect them now is to notify him/her that the cigars were fake. I hope someone had done at least that.

As I understand it, this event is hosted by a small number of cigar enthusiasts who are conjoining an open cigar gathering with a charitable concern. It is my understanding that the event hosts are few in number and are likely absorbed by a myriad of production details, in addition to living their regular lives. Again, as I understand it, they receive products (for "gift bags" and auction) from a variety of sources: Manufacturers, retail sources, private parties. It is generally understood that all parties present are participating for fun and charitable cause (and perhaps a bit of good will advertisement for the commercial concerns).

Can the organizers be expected to investigate each and every private person offering for authenticity? Keep in mind, more than just Habanos are counterfeited. Counterfeit N/C's exist as well, and can possibly derive from generally "trusted" sites such as retail sources (although extremely unlikely). My point being, it could be a daunting task for regular guys, with regular lives, to add "product investigations" to their many hats in hosting this event.

Yes, it would be nice if they could check each and every offering for its provenance. Yes, it would be nice if they could immediately discern what is an obvious fake A/T Habano presentation. However, in light of their efforts, I just cannot see malice in their actions. Not that anyone really accused them of maliciously accepting and auctioning off counterfeit cigars - only of stubbornly refusing to hear of it afterwards (which appears to be a founded concern).

But where the ---- were these concerns during the event itself? The event hosts were likely busy guys. Handing out name tags, checking off attendance rolls, clean up, whatever. Remember, regular guys going out of their way to host cigar smokers in an event for everyone's enjoyment. Like nobody perused the auction lots before they went up for bid? How come there was no public hue and outcry then, when it was the appropriate time? Why wait for the guy to blow his cash on fakes and take them home before make light of this? I would suggest that the attendees (who were cognizant of this), who perused those auction lots while puffin' away and swilling beer, had a strong responsibility to the cigar community to satisfactorily address this issue right there and then - NOT AFTERWARDS. As for that guy, well, I feel bad (I do) - but a bit of caveat emptor as well.

As I understand it, this event is hosted by a small number of cigar enthusiasts who are conjoining an open cigar gathering with a charitable concern. It is my understanding that the event hosts are few in number and are likely absorbed by a myriad of production details, in addition to living their regular lives. Again, as I understand it, they receive products (for "gift bags" and auction) from a variety of sources: Manufacturers, retail sources, private parties. It is generally understood that all parties present are participating for fun and charitable cause (and perhaps a bit of good will advertisement for the commercial concerns).

Can the organizers be expected to investigate each and every private person offering for authenticity? Keep in mind, more than just Habanos are counterfeited. Counterfeit N/C's exist as well, and can possibly derive from generally "trusted" sites such as retail sources (although extremely unlikely). My point being, it could be a daunting task for regular guys, with regular lives, to add "product investigations" to their many hats in hosting this event.

Yes, it would be nice if they could check each and every offering for its provenance. Yes, it would be nice if they could immediately discern what is an obvious fake A/T Habano presentation. However, in light of their efforts, I just cannot see malice in their actions. Not that anyone really accused them of maliciously accepting and auctioning off counterfeit cigars - only of stubbornly refusing to hear of it afterwards (which appears to be a founded concern).

But where the ---- were these concerns during the event itself? The event hosts were likely busy guys. Handing out name tags, checking off attendance rolls, clean up, whatever. Remember, regular guys going out of their way to host cigar smokers in an event for everyone's enjoyment. Like nobody perused the auction lots before they went up for bid? How come there was no public hue and outcry then, when it was the appropriate time? Why wait for the guy to blow his cash on fakes and take them home before make light of this? I would suggest that the attendees (who were cognizant of this), who perused those auction lots while puffin' away and swilling beer, had a strong responsibility to the cigar community to satisfactorily address this issue right there and then - NOT AFTERWARDS. As for that guy, well, I feel bad (I do) - but a bit of caveat emptor as well.

Did you read the whole thread?

It was mentioned. No, not be me, but it WAS mentioned.

Yes, I did read the whole thread.

I saw that it was mentioned. However, I have the distinct feeling that it was not mentioned with the veracity of this thread and the posting on CW. A strong protest would have been appropriate then, not now. If it were, I doubt the auction of that lot would have been finalized and there would be no need for this thread.

I saw that it was mentioned. However, I have the distinct feeling that it was not mentioned with the veracity of this thread and the posting on CW. A strong protest would have been appropriate then, not now. If it were, I doubt the auction of that lot would have been finalized and there would be no need for this thread.

Remember, we're all 'regular guys'.

The people who seem veracious were probably not even there.

The folks who were, and the organizers, are contacting all parties.

Remember, we're all 'regular guys'.

The people who seem veracious were probably not even there.

The folks who were, and the organizers, are contacting all parties.
It has been said by attendees within this thread, including you, that the box was recognized (or at the very minimum - suspected) as fake on the spot. If the organizers would not stop the auction, I think the bidders deserved from you (and from mrtapes) a "heads up" whisper in their ear while bidding away their $$$ for the box, at the very least. That would have been an immediate help to a fellow cigar enthusiast. Now it's just hoping for the best, at best.

The moment has shifted from that of being able to immediately help prevent a fellow cigar enthusiast from blowing his cash on fakes to now (slightly) riling up the cigar community (cigar boards) after the fact. I'm guessing the organizers have already reported (and possibly given) their funds raised to their charitable concern. What can they do now? Go back to the charitable concern and ask for $XXX back? Say, "Sorry, but we accidentally sold fake (illegal) cigars to make up your money. Can we have some back?" They just might get it back, and be told to get lost forever by that charitable concern for exposing them to potential harm or fallout for the source of contributions by this event.

Should'a been handled on the spot. Until it was resolved. Or just let it go.

It has been said by attendees within this thread, including you, that the box was recognized (or at the very minimum - suspected) as fake on the spot. If the organizers would not stop the auction, I think the bidders deserved from you (and from mrtapes) a "heads up" whisper in their ear while bidding away their $$$ for the box, at the very least. That would have been an immediate help to a fellow cigar enthusiast. Now it's just hoping for the best, at best.

The moment has shifted from that of being able to immediately help prevent a fellow cigar enthusiast from blowing his cash on fakes to now (slightly) riling up the cigar community (cigar boards) after the fact. I'm guessing the organizers have already reported (and possibly given) their funds raised to their charitable concern. What can they do now? Go back to the charitable concern and ask for $XXX back? Say, "Sorry, but we accidentally sold fake (illegal) cigars to make up your money. Can we have some back?" They just might get it back, and be told to get lost forever by that charitable concern for exposing them to potential harm or fallout for the source of contributions by this event.

Should'a been handled on the spot. Until it was resolved. Or just let it go.

Thank you for your insight and concern.

Did you have anything useful to add, that has not been said?

Or shall this perpetuate whilst riding white horses?

Let's kill this topic.

All important or serious information has already been aformentioned. :whistling:

I'm sure the event was for a great cause and I'm glad to see that those children are getting the help they deserve, not trying to bash on that or anything but I thought it was pretty funny how he said we do it with "honesty and transparency." By selling (what he thought to be) illegal Cuban cigars? LOL. As much of a victimless crime I think that obtaining Cuban cigars is, the simple fact is it's still ILLEGAL!, so when you do that you can't say that you obtain the funding in a honest way.

Edit: P.S. thought mrtapes handled himself in a civilized and professional manner, more civilized I'm sure than most of us, cause' me personally... I would've tore into him. He was just trying to educate and ensure people have the knowledge and someone took it as a personal attack.. pretty sad.

Let me reiterate:

I saw the cigars, Immediately knew they were fake and drew it to the attention of one of the event board. HE was well aware of them and told me they had discussed it.

There was no veracity on my part until I was personally attacked on CW by this guy "Rockridge"

This is mentioned in the threads.

Edit: P.S. thought mrtapes handled himself in a civilized and professional manner, more civilized I'm sure than most of us, cause' me personally... I would've tore into him. He was just trying to educate and ensure people have the knowledge and someone took it as a personal attack.. pretty sad.

Thanks for that note hott mic. I appreciate it.
Thanks to everyone for all the pm's I've received.
I knew if I posted this here it would be a good thing.
I'm done with all this, Thanks CP.

PS:
I got much more support from you guys than I did over at CW.

Thanks for that note hott mic. I appreciate it.
Thanks to everyone for all the pm's I've received.
I knew if I posted this here it would be a good thing.
I'm done with all this, Thanks CP.

PS:
I got much more support from you guys than I did over at CW.

Anytime, just speaking the truth, besides it was so painfully obvious that you were just stating facts while he was getting offended by it, and in the end he realized what a mistake it was to even sell those cigars. And that's why I like this forum so much, everyone is so helpful and friendly. I got some good advice when I purchased some fake Cubans here, and yeah I did feel like a sucker when people on here told me they were fake but I appreciated the help and knowledge, and now I am better educated because of it.

<sigh>

Once again, no one is claiming there was any malice on anyone's part and they have my respect for doing all this for charity. To say that they can't possibly know the authenticity of every thing they get is correct. But not only were those boxes HORRIBLE counterfits and they were informed of it at the event, they got defensive and insulting when this was pointed out to them. I wouldn't have had a problem if they would have taken RESPONSIBILITY and immediatly said, "Yeah, we f*cked up, we are going to handle this." Everyone makes mistakes, how you deal with them is what seperates people.

<sigh>

Once again, no one is claiming there was any malice on anyone's part and they have my respect for doing all this for charity. To say that they can't possibly know the authenticity of every thing they get is correct. But not only were those boxes HORRIBLE counterfits and they were informed of it at the event, they got defensive and insulting when this was pointed out to them. I wouldn't have had a problem if they would have taken RESPONSIBILITY and immediatly said, "Yeah, we f*cked up, we are going to handle this." Everyone makes mistakes, how you deal with them is what seperates people.

Mike for a young guy, you get it! I wish others showed their maturity when addressing issues that concern all of us.