• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fresh Homemade Pico De Gallo

souldog

OG Post-Whorer since 2008 bitches...
Reaction score
I've been making this recipe for years now, as it was passed down by my mother, who had it passed down to her from her mother, and her mother, and her mother...you get the idea. I've tweaked it to my own taste, and it's not an exact science, but here we go!

INGREDIENTS:

• 6 Red Tomatoes (I prefer on the vine as they taste better)
  • 1 White Onion
  • 2 Serrano Chiles (approximately 4 inches long)
  • 2 bunches of Fresh Cilantro (Apprx. 1 1/2 cups when diced)
  • 1 Lemon
  • 1 Bottle of Lawry's Garlic Salt
  • 3 oz. of Vodka
  • 1 Jalapeno Stuffed Queen Olive
  • 1 Toothpick
  • 1 oz. of Olive Juice
  • 1 Plastic Tupperware Container

DIRECTIONS:

First, cut the Red Tomatoes into quarters, and remove all the seeds. Then, dice the tomatoes until they are relatively small enough and have a square-like shape. Place all 6 diced Red Tomatoes into your plastic Tupperware container, and add a few shakes of the Lawry's Garlic Salt. Stir up the tomatoes until the salt is distributed throughout, and take a spoonful to taste. The flavor should be salty enough that you taste the garlic, but not so overpowering that you lose the flavor of the tomatoes.

Next, thoroughly wash the Cilantro in water to clean it, because you never know what might be hiding in there. I've found dead bugs before, and today I even found a pine nut. Anyways, after washing the cilantro, pull off the leaves from the stem. The reason you do this is because if you cut the stems up with the cilantro leaves (which contain the majority of the flavor), the salsa will become bitter and have a horrific aftertaste. After plucking the leaves off, arranged them on a plate and finely mince them. Add the cilantro to the tomatoes, and mix them together well.

At this point, add another couple shakes of the Lawry's Garlic Salt, and continue to mix them. Don't be concerned as you'll see a reserve of juice forming underneath the tomatoes. This is normal, and is sometimes the best part of pico de gallo because that is where the true flavors of your creation live.

After mixing in the salt and cilantro to the tomatoes, grab your White Onion and cut 3/4 of it up. Before you start chopping, grab your Lemon and aggressively roll it on the counter top to loosen up the pulp. Cut the lemon in half, and grab one of the halves, setting it aside for this next step.

Chop up the white onion, and unless you have no soul and desire the pain of onion fumes in your eyes, take the lemon half and slightly squeeze it onto the chopped up onion. Be careful not to use it all up, as you need both halves for a later step. Add the onion into the mix, and stir it up. Again, add a shake of Lawry's Garlic Salt and grab a spoonful to taste. If it is to your liking, you don't need the salt anymore. If you added too much salt, it's alright because we can fix that.

Lastly, wash your two Serrano Chile's and prepare yourself for awesome. Cut the stem from the pepper, then slice the pepper diagonally, from the top where the stem was to the bottom tip of the chile. Once you've opened it up, you'll see some seeds. These Serrano Chile Seeds are the main players in deciding how spicy you want your salsa to be. If you want it mild because you have guests, scrape out all seeds from both chilies and throw them out. If you're a real man and you're making this whole thing for yourself, leave those f**kin' seeds in! Dice up the chilies, then mince them extremely finely. The finer you mince them, the more flavor will be distributed throughout your salsa.

Add the chilies to the mix, stirring vigorously to mix everything well. Finally, add the two halves of Lemon by squeezing them both to release their juices directly into the pico. Stir well, then take a taste.

If your pico is too salty, add another lemon half's worth of juice. If it is too spicy, add more Lawry's Garlic Salt to cut down the "hot factor." Take the whole container and place it in the fridge for a few hours to let the flavors meld together.

Finally, take the Vodka, the Olive Juice, and the Jalapeno Stuffed Olive, and make yourself a dirty martini while you wait!!

Once you're good and drunk, light a cigar, grab your pico de gallo and a bowl of chips, and enjoy your creation! You can tell all your friends you got the recipe from a real Spaniard! :p

IMG00224-20091012-1723.jpg

:laugh: The wife just practically coughed her guts up from the spiciness!! I love it!

That looks so incredibly good right now! I need to make a batch sometime!

I do a very similar salsa.
I use red onions, lime instead of lemons and a splash of white vinegar.

It is awesome.

Perhaps I will try this version...

It always tastes better the day after you make it though!

-Rob

Looks tasty souldog. I think this one will be one to sample soon, and thanks for the tip on the cilantro. I made some salsa from a recipe a while back, and I think I may have included the stems from the plant when I chopped it up... made the salsa taste like soap. (or at least what I'd imagine soap to taste like)

How much does this recipe make, and do you have recommendations for serrano pepper substitutes?

Looks tasty souldog. I think this one will be one to sample soon, and thanks for the tip on the cilantro. I made some salsa from a recipe a while back, and I think I may have included the stems from the plant when I chopped it up... made the salsa taste like soap. (or at least what I'd imagine soap to taste like)

How much does this recipe make, and do you have recommendations for serrano pepper substitutes?

This particular recipe makes approximately 6-7 cups of salsa, and as far as substitues you can use fresh jalapenos (not the canned ones).

Enjoy!!!

Looks great but I would think it would kill any nuances in any cigar ???

Made this stuff the other day... was great as a pre dinner snack... between the pre dinner smoke and the post dinner smoke

Made this stuff the other day... was great as a pre dinner snack... between the pre dinner smoke and the post dinner smoke

EXCELLENT Garris! How did you like it? I'm glad you tried it. :thumbs:

well, it was so good that I hardly got any (and he brought it to my place for the birthday dinner on the weekend) :0

also, he only brought nacho chips to have with it... I think it might have been better with pink donuts... :sign:

It went fast... so I would say that it was great..

The next day it was even better....

ok Ngetal next time I will bring pink Nachos for you to have with it

Yeah, I nom'd the hell out of them, sorry. :blush: Course the wife didn't hold back either. I guess we should have put the breaks on when we ate 80% of the first container and just dumped it into the next batch and then started eating that one too.

So much of me is happy inside knowing all you fockers used ma recipe. Gotta tell my mom! :p

souldog, this stuff is so good. I made some for my girlfriend's party along with another dip and Bavarian meatballs. Almost right away the bowl was half gone and I topped it off with the rest in the plastic container (the other dip was hardly touched and the meatballs made it to just before the end of the night). 15 minutes later my girlfriend told me we needed more pico since the bowl was empty. I had to tell her sorry that it was all gone. Next time I'm making a double or triple batch.

The only thing I did differently was to use a lime instead of a lemon.

Great to hear it Kuso, this stuff truly is some tasty salsa. In fact, now that you've bumped this thread again, I might look into making some more! :laugh:

I love pico de gallo and put it on everything! Sadly, I have to settle for the bottled version when tomatoes arent in season. I'll have to make this when summer rolls around. Very similar to my own recipe except I've never thought to use Lawry's (good stuff!) Thanks for sharing your recipe :)