• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Garden Thread

That looks great! Do you start the seeds indoors? Which zone are you in? I'm from NY as well and my zone is 6b.

Thanks! It is a lot of work, but I really enjoy the constant expansion and trail & errors. I typically like to start my seeds indoors. Some plants that need a little longer in the seedling stage before transplanting I buy as starters from the local farms. However, the space I am currently living in doesn't allow too much extra space indoors(by windows)…so I have been doing a combination of both lately. I would like to set something up for next year where I can start most, if not all my plants indoors. In due time I suppose.
I live in Rensselaer County towards the the border of Mass. We sit at about 1,300' ASL so the spring in a couple weeks later to arrive than in the valley and winter sets in a littler earlier with 'first frosts' hitting with the higher elevation. My zone is 5a. With a short growing season, I try to plant veggies that are prolific producers such as peppers, eggplant, leaf lettuce, etc. I try not to take up too much space in the garden with a 'one time harvest' type of plant like cabbage. Im assuming you are on L.I. or towards Rockland/Orange County with a zone6b?

Thanks! It is a lot of work, but I really enjoy the constant expansion and trail & errors. I typically like to start my seeds indoors. Some plants that need a little longer in the seedling stage before transplanting I buy as starters from the local farms. However, the space I am currently living in doesn't allow too much extra space indoors(by windows)…so I have been doing a combination of both lately. I would like to set something up for next year where I can start most, if not all my plants indoors. In due time I suppose.
I live in Rensselaer County towards the the border of Mass. We sit at about 1,300' ASL so the spring in a couple weeks later to arrive than in the valley and winter sets in a littler earlier with 'first frosts' hitting with the higher elevation. My zone is 5a. With a short growing season, I try to plant veggies that are prolific producers such as peppers, eggplant, leaf lettuce, etc. I try not to take up too much space in the garden with a 'one time harvest' type of plant like cabbage. Im assuming you are on L.I. or towards Rockland/Orange County with a zone6b?

I live in Westchester County. Last year was my first time ever planting anything and I really enjoyed it. The vegetables and the fruits (strawberries, goji berries and blueberries) were outstanding and nothing tasted like it does when you buy them at the store. I built a raised bed and I'm thinking about adding another two this year (I'm making my own compose for them). I only planted starter plants last year but this year I would like to start most of them indoors from seeds. I'm also planting a couple of fruit trees (Peaches, Russian Pomegranates and Chicago Figs).

I'm hoping that this will be a good season and if you have any good tips for a beginner then share them!

@ Whylieineedacigar

Newbie Gardener eh? Well, Congratulations on the new endeavor! I agree with you, as would most, that the food you grow as compared to the produce(if you can call it that) you buy from the markets is far more superior in both taste & nutritional value.
It's funny you mention fruit trees because that is a goal of mine for the fall. I would like to create a natural barrier against my roadside frontage with fruit trees but I first need to rebuild the existing stone wall. My thought is to buy semi-dwarf, self pollinators that will be planted in LARGE, metal, containers strategically placed within the stone wall. When I measured, I believe the run was long enough to plant 8 comfortably? The containers would be spread out as needed and wrapped with the same stone as the wall. In theory, Im hoping the design will create something both functional & edible. I have a drawing that I may pop up later of my idea? But, YES, fruit trees are a fantastic idea for those looking to establish some self sufficiency with produce. I have even pondered the idea of planting some nut trees on the property but I fear that my efforts may only end up benefitting the wildlife and not my family.

@ Whylieineedacigar

Newbie Gardener eh? Well, Congratulations on the new endeavor! I agree with you, as would most, that the food you grow as compared to the produce(if you can call it that) you buy from the markets is far more superior in both taste & nutritional value.
It's funny you mention fruit trees because that is a goal of mine for the fall. I would like to create a natural barrier against my roadside frontage with fruit trees but I first need to rebuild the existing stone wall. My thought is to buy semi-dwarf, self pollinators that will be planted in LARGE, metal, containers strategically placed within the stone wall. When I measured, I believe the run was long enough to plant 8 comfortably? The containers would be spread out as needed and wrapped with the same stone as the wall. In theory, Im hoping the design will create something both functional & edible. I have a drawing that I may pop up later of my idea? But, YES, fruit trees are a fantastic idea for those looking to establish some self sufficiency with produce. I have even pondered the idea of planting some nut trees on the property but I fear that my efforts may only end up benefitting the wildlife and not my family.

That sounds great! Post the drawings.

Tell me about your efforts benefiting the wildlife, 50% of my strawberries and blueberries were stolen by them! I don't mind them taking some, but I lost way too many. I also wanted to save the seeds from the last tomatoes of the season but they got to them before I did. This year I will definitely come up with some kind of system to protect the fruits and veggies. A BB gun perhaps? Lol

Tell me about your efforts benefiting the wildlife, 50% of my strawberries and blueberries were stolen by them! I don't mind them taking some, but I lost way too many. I also wanted to save the seeds from the last tomatoes of the season but they got to them before I did. This year I will definitely come up with some kind of system to protect the fruits and veggies. A BB gun perhaps? Lol
Pfffft! For every squirrel I shoot, ten come to its funeral.....

... I also wanted to save the seeds from the last tomatoes of the season...

I remember as a kid, my father would save the seeds from his heirloom crops. When I got older and had my own garden(s), I never saved them. It always seemed like a lot of effort, but I may try and give it a go this year?

Pfffft! For every squirrel I shoot, ten come to its funeral.....
You know, it's funny… I saw many more squirrels living in the city limits than I do at my new location in the country. I know it may be because of the abundance of easy food scraps in the city - but I was shocked when I didn't see them at all around my bird feeders in the country. It is so uncommon that I honestly feel like I have only seen 1 on my property in 2yrs!Im afraid if I plant the nut trees, Im opening Pandora's Box. o_O The only thing I currently worry about, in relation to the garden, are chickens and insects. Those things can do some damage!

I have been thinking about pulling the trigger on some of the dwarf fruit trees from the following link. https://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees
More specifically the "DWARF" varieties suitable for my area. I would like to get a couple different fruits established. I have done a lot of research and have come to the conclusion that it is wise to avoid planting fruits that are prevalent in one's area. I'm from Upstate, so to say that we have plenty of apple orchards would be an understatement. I can drive about 15mins and hit at least 2 large sized orchards where I can buy them a 'dime a dozen'. Therefore I am pulling the plug on planting apple trees, at least for now.

Has anyone planted/cared for DWARF or SEMI-DWARF fruit trees? If so, what did you plant, how long has it been in the ground and how big is it currently? Im interested in these 'short' root stock trees and wonder about others success/failures.

I also wanted to save the seeds from the last tomatoes of the season but they got to them before I did.

If you plan on saving seeds, start with Heirloom seeds. Don't save hybrid seeds, they aren't guaranteed to grow the same thing year after year.

You can save seeds in the freezer, for years.

@ Whylieineedacigar

I have even pondered the idea of planting some nut trees on the property but I fear that my efforts may only end up benefitting the wildlife and not my family.

In terms of self sufficiency - having wildlife on your property might not be a bad thing. ;)

If you plan on saving seeds, start with Heirloom seeds. Don't save hybrid seeds, they aren't guaranteed to grow the same thing year after year.

You can save seeds in the freezer, for years.

Its great to see this thread up and running. I am going to start my seeds in the next week or 2.

Is it beneficial to store the seeds in a freezer? I keep them in their original packaging stuffed into a padded envelope that is stored in the basement, i.e. a cool dry place.

Its great to see this thread up and running. I am going to start my seeds in the next week or 2.

Is it beneficial to store the seeds in a freezer? I keep them in their original packaging stuffed into a padded envelope that is stored in the basement, i.e. a cool dry place.

Nope, the freezer isn't necessary, but it's about the only place I have to store mine (no basements here in Oklahoma). As long as you keep them in a cool/consistent temperature spot, with no direct sunlight, you should be just fine. There is lots of information out there, on how to save seeds and then store, them as well. The below video, is a local heirloom grower and she has several videos on how to save/store seeds:

Nope, the freezer isn't necessary, but it's about the only place I have to store mine (no basements here in Oklahoma). As long as you keep them in a cool/consistent temperature spot, with no direct sunlight, you should be just fine. There is lots of information out there, on how to save seeds and then store, them as well. The below video, is a local heirloom grower and she has several videos on how to save/store seeds:

That is a good video thanks for sharing.

That's your garden? Holy crap, that's a large garden.

Yes, the way things grow sometimes is comical, especially when the kids are picking and notice it too.

I guess this goes here...

Wife and I finished landscaping a few months back. We installed a brick border around the grass and planted begonias, liriope, and some crawlers. It was just ugly dirt before that. We enjoyed doing the work ourselves and are happy with the result.

Tq5EqlV.jpg