• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gearheads, I need your help!

I would think if the wg was stuck closed you should be building enormous pounds of boost. But it might not show up as surging. In theory as you overboost the computer in the car should try and shut that down which I would think would present as a open and closing of the BOV as it try’s to regulate. But that isn’t your issue as described. Others have described this thing though most unfortunately end up with a diagnosis of turbo replacement.

Though I think some have wastegates that are external. So that should be replaceable. But some are built into the turbo so I am unsure if that is repair or just replace.

The best diagnosis from a Internet forum level is a recording of the sound of what’s happening. I doubt it would help me, as I would need to know what I’m listening to, but it could be easily passed along to other forums I’m a member of.

Seventeen years and no turbo headaches whatsoever with my N/A 5.7L Dodge Ram.

Seventeen years and no turbo headaches whatsoever with my N/A 5.7L Dodge Ram.
Say what you will, but not every dodge has this track record. But I get it. :). I pledge no allegiance to any car company..

Say what you will, but not every dodge has this track record. But I get it. :). I pledge no allegiance to any car company..
Oh, I have no allegiance, either. I'm just not a fan of forced induction. Turbos are not built for longevity, and are expensive when they inevitably crap out.

Oh, I have no allegiance, either. I'm just not a fan of forced induction. Turbos are not built for longevity, and are expensive when they inevitably crap out.
Touché as “they” say. But…and I’m not speaking for trucks but my last turbo endeavor…a dodge Omni glh…(aka Mitsubishi engine)…they can be fun as hell lol.

For the fords…they perform great for towing…maybe better than great.

I would think if the wg was stuck closed you should be building enormous pounds of boost. But it might not show up as surging. In theory as you overboost the computer in the car should try and shut that down which I would think would present as a open and closing of the BOV as it try’s to regulate. But that isn’t your issue as described. Others have described this thing though most unfortunately end up with a diagnosis of turbo replacement.

Though I think some have wastegates that are external. So that should be replaceable. But some are built into the turbo so I am unsure if that is repair or just replace.

The best diagnosis from a Internet forum level is a recording of the sound of what’s happening. I doubt it would help me, as I would need to know what I’m listening to, but it could be easily passed along to other forums I’m a member of.
I could replace my wastegates, but to be honest if it came to that point of having to rip both turbos out, I’d just replace/upgrade them lol

So the blow off valves are rated for 30-32 pounds of boost. The stock turbos build maybe 16 pounds. In theory if the wastegate was stuck closed and the BOV was blowing off, I would feel some type of surging or power loss (maybe?)

@Eqwhipped to answer your question, I haven’t checked for codes, but I can hook my laptop up to it and check it this weekend. I’ve been meaning to get in there and adjust my tire pressure set points anyway.
I would start here, we found more issues that show up in scans than any other diagnostic tool. If you can read the fuel to air ratio changes that may indicate if your turbos are building pressure properly. The system will retard fuel to match a lack of air. Mapping fuel curves will show this too.

Have you noticed any difference in your fuel economy?

Touché as “they” say. But…and I’m not speaking for trucks but my last turbo endeavor…a dodge Omni glh…(aka Mitsubishi engine)…they can be fun as hell lol.

Oh, fun to drive, for sure. Not so much fun to own long-term.

I’ve heard good things about the 5.7

I had a 4.7 and it was a bag of dicks.
In the trucks, the pre-'06 5.7L engine was a tank. It took a year or three for Dodge to figure out how to make the MDS work in the big trucks. I'm honestly not too familiar with the 4th and 5th Gen trucks and the newer systems, but it was definitely a great engine (across all platforms) from '02-'05. The 4.7L had aluminum heads which were junk and caused LOTS of trashed engines, IIRC.

They were fun back in the day! The “Goes Like Hell” was definitely an appropriate name. I loved embarrassing the muscle cars in that thing and watching the jaws drop in my rear view mirror. 😂 Sucker handled like it was on rails too boot! Carrol Shelby made a fun one there! 😍

They were fun back in the day! The “Goes Like Hell” was definitely an appropriate name. I loved embarrassing the muscle cars in that thing and watching the jaws drop in my rear view mirror. 😂 Sucker handled like it was on rails too boot! Carrol Shelby made a fun one there! 😍

Back in my day (lol) we used to cruise gratiot ave. Nowadays probably a bit more dangerous. But back than nothing was more fun than to race a muscle car light to light, and beat the hell out of it.

Now past 85 mph I was getting owned but light to light it was killer. Mine had the cat removed and a flow master put on it as well as what amounted to a small fish tank air valve used to bleed off the wastegate solenoid and produce more boost. All this was done by the previous owner. I actually came across the car racing it with my buddy’s 5.0 mustang. Fun times for sure.

Muscle car guys would make me pull over after I race and pop the hood, because they couldn’t believe a 4 cylinder blew their doors off, while growling like a v8. I have no clue what that guy did to the exhaust to make it sound like that, but it was bad ass for sure.

I constantly scour the internet for them now, hoping to by one on the cheap and restore it myself. But hard to find the old glh, and the glhs is almost always crazy expensive, even if it is literally a pos.

Whelp, cool story. I got under the truck after work today and found that the driver side IWG is seized. Not sure how that took me this long to think to actuate it by hand. But it’s a no go..

Whelp, cool story. I got under the truck after work today and found that the driver side IWG is seized. Not sure how that took me this long to think to actuate it by hand. But it’s a no go..
Ugh. So it’s frozen? Needs a new drivers side turbo?