• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Good Morning S / BOTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Sunday morning all and yes, the espresso coffee is on. I figured a good jolt of caffine was in order today and a whole pot of Medaglia D'oro will do it. I've got a few things to take care of this mornin' and then I'll get ready for this afternoon's NASCAR race at my favorite track, Bristol Motor Speedway (Tennessee). Here is a link to their website and a ittle cut and paste from it as well:

http://www.nascar.com/races/tracks/bms/index.html

Bristol Motor Speedway

The land, upon which Bristol Motor Speedway is built, used to be a dairy farm.

Larry Carrier and Carl Moore traveled to Charlotte Motor Speedway in 1960 to watch a race and it was then that they decided to build a speedway in Northeast Tenn. However, they wanted a smaller model of CMS, something with a more intimate setting and opted to erect a half-mile facility instead of mirroring the 1.5-mile track in Charlotte.

Work began on what was then called Bristol International Speedway in 1960 and it took approximately one year to finish. Track officials scratched many ideas for the track on envelopes and brown paper bags.

The land on which BMS now sits, as well as construction of the track, cost approximately $600,000. The entire layout for BMS covered 100 acres and provided parking for more than 12,000 cars. The track itself was a perfect half-mile, measuring 60 feet wide on the straightaways, 75 feet wide in the turns and the turns were banked at 22 degrees.

Seating capacity for the very first NASCAR race at BMS, held on July 30, 1961, was 18,000. Prior to this race, the speedway had hosted weekly races. The first driver on the track for practice on July 27, 1961 was Tiny Lund in his Pontiac. The second driver out was David Pearson. Fred Lorenzen won the pole for the first race at BMS with a speed of 79.225 mph.

Atlanta's Jack Smith won the inaugural event, The Volunteer 500, at BMS on July 30, 1961.

In the fall of 1969 BMS was reshaped and re-measured. The turns were banked at 36 degrees and it became a .533-mile oval.

The speedway was sold after the 1976 season to Lanny Hester and Gary Baker. In the spring of 1978, the track name was changed to Bristol International Raceway. In August of that year, the first night race was held on the oval.

On July 6, 1983, Warner Hodgdon completed 100 percent purchase of Bristol Motor Speedway. Hodgdon named Larry Carrier as the track's general manager. On January 11, 1985, Warner Hodgdon filed for bankruptcy.

After Hodgdon filed for bankruptcy, Larry Carrier formally took possession of the speedway and covered all outstanding debts.

In Aug. 1992, BMS became the first fully concrete speedway to host a Cup event.

On Jan. 22, 1996, Larry Carrier sold the speedway to Bruton Smith at a purchase price of $26 million. At the time of the sale, the facility seated 71,000.

On May 28, 1996 the track's name was officially changed to Bristol Motor Speedway. By August of that year, 15,000 seats had been added bringing the seating capacity to 86,000.

For the August 1998 Goody's 500 the speedway featured more than 131,000 grandstand seats and 100 skyboxes. On Aug. 26, 2002 work began on the most ambitious construction project since Speedway Motorsports, Inc., purchased BMS in 1996. The new backstretch increased the venue's seating capacity to more than 160,000.

I try to catch a race at a different track every year and hopefully I get to Bristol Next year....... :) :thumbs: :cool:

Mayorga in the pot and waffles in the gut. Good morning so far!

Just put on the Caribbean Cutthroat.

Have a great Sunday.

Brian

Good morning all and wish everyone has a great week. Brian, how do you like the Killer Beans Caribbean Cut Throat? It's one of my favorites and it definitely starts the day of right. Have a super day all and smoke one if you get the chance....... :) :thumbs: :cool:

Well good morning to all...Decided to hit Kasey's for doughnuts and coffee. Just stepped in and fired up a JdN Antano Robusto. Looks like it will be a wonderful day. :) Enjoy your Monday.

On Jan. 22, 1996, Larry Carrier sold the speedway to Bruton Smith at a purchase price of $26 million. At the time of the sale, the facility seated 71,000.

On May 28, 1996 the track's name was officially changed to Bristol Motor Speedway. By August of that year, 15,000 seats had been added bringing the seating capacity to 86,000.

For the August 1998 Goody's 500 the speedway featured more than 131,000 grandstand seats and 100 skyboxes. On Aug. 26, 2002 work began on the most ambitious construction project since Speedway Motorsports, Inc., purchased BMS in 1996. The new backstretch increased the venue's seating capacity to more than 160,000.[/b]

I try to catch a race at a different track every year and hopefully I get to Bristol Next year....... :) :thumbs: :cool:

I love Bristol myself... but I'm referring to the "other" track onsite, the strip also known as Thunder Mountain. This is hands-down the finest facility I've ever had the pleasure of racing at. Bruton Smith spent a pile of money raising the racing surface 21 feet above where it used to be, and the restroom/shower facilities are always clean, no matter what time of day you're using them. Staying onsite (NHRA divisional races are multi-day events for us), it really helps to take the load off the motorhome facilities. :)
My current hiatus from active competition has not allowed me to visit since '02, but this is still one of my personal favorite tracks. The NASCAR track they have there is simply incredible in scope (the grandstands, parking, etc.) for such a short track surface.

Robert

Morning fellas and the coffee this morning is great. I stayed up last night till about 11:30 watchin' some TV and then I was back up this morning at 4:30, so even a cup of good mud would be great right about now! :D

Hope everyone has a great day and gets to enjoy some of this spring weather we are now havin'.......... :) :thumbs: :cool:

Morning all and hope your hump day goes by rather smoothly. The coffee is on and fresh danish are in the oven. Enjoy the day and smoke one of your favorites if you get the chance........ :) :thumbs: :cool:

Good mornin' all and yes you probably guessed it, the coffee is on. :D
The weather was great yesterday and it's going to be even better today, yeah baby. After work yesterday I sat outside on the back deck BBQing some chicken while I enjoyed a Partagas Spanish Rosada and a couple of cold ones as well. Hope your day goes by great and you get to enjoy some of it........ :) :thumbs: :cool:

Edited for grammar and so CC doesn't say anything...... :D

Well good morning as well. I havent been to bed yet which isnt unusual for me. Retirement sucks...Ok maybe it doesnt. :D I guess I will have to light up a cigar and put some coffee on. Then play the guessing game if today will be a good day or bad. :whistling:

Well good morning as well. I havent been to bed yet which isnt unusual for me. Retirement sucks...Ok maybe it doesnt. :D I guess I will have to light up a cigar and put some coffee on. Then play the guessing game if today will be a good day or bad. :whistling:

Good morning.

Today will be the day you want it to be :cool:

Brian

Good mornin' all and yes you probably guessed it, the coffee is on. :D
The weather was great yesterday and it's going to be even better today, yeah baby. After work yesterday I sat outside on the back deck BBQing some chicken while I enjoyed a Partagas Spanish Rosada and a couple of cold ones as well. Hope your day goes by great and you get to enjoy some of it........ :) :thumbs: :cool:

Edited for grammar and so CC doesn't say anything...... :D

Sounds like another fine day!

I finally rode the scoot into work - still a little bit of sand on the roads!

As for java - Jamacian Blue Mountain - (it's my birthday 'week' - ok 2 weeks :D )

Got to love the Morning with Charlie program. Keep it up. Today was a little rough here in the Varon casa got one home sick with the flu and another just not interested in going. Started the day with a nice Americano... hmmm good. Enjoy the rest of the day we'll check in tomorrow!

:thumbs: :cool: Good morning all and the only thing I have to say is TGIF. :D

Hope everyone has a great weekend and get to enjoy a couple of your favorites with a few cold ones. Oh yeah, the espresso coffee is on......... :)

Well I may as well chime in. Good morning to everyone including Stogieman. This morning I decided to be lazy. I ate some Jack Links Carne Seca Beef Jerky and got a cup of coffee instead of brewing. I'm about to eat a blue berry hostess pie. Then fire up a cigar since I cant sleep.

Up to 75 today and I only have to work half a day. The deck will see some use today.

Benn working 12 to 15 hour days for the last 2 weeks building my firm's new network from the ground up...

New Domain, New Exchange, ext ext ext...

This weekend(starting today) is going to be the roughest part but when its over I'll have a clean Windows 2003/XP enviroment to look forward to :thumbs:

I brought the following cigars to keep me company and am probably going out to enjoy one in a few mins while MS robocopy does its thing.

AF 858 Sungrown (THANKS SWISSY!! :love: )

Padron 3000 Maduro

Cuesta Rey Sungrown

Take care brothers.

Did a 2003 upgrade last year, 7 locations and 22 servers. Everything went pretty well but the potential for a major screw up is always there with MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.