• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gurkha Cellar Reserve XO

Radovan_Misic

I was on the road this week for work and made a stop at cigar shop in Rockford, IL.  Had a nice talk with the gentlemen there and after telling him I would love an aged cigar right now......  he brought me this beauty.  A 15 year old dark brown stick.  I have not smoked it yet, wanted to let it sit for a week or two in my humidor before I light it.  Has anyone tried one before?  Is it as good as he was describing it to be?

"Some" of the filler is a 15 year old Nicaraguan tobacco but no means is this an "aged" cigar. An aged cigar by my definition is a cigar that has sat in a humidor for a few years. I'm sure this stick is probably a good stick though. Let us know how it turns out.

I gave up on Gurkha's a long time ago. You can buy a fiver and 4 of them will taste like crap. Hopefully for you, you got the 1%

I haven't had one I like. Also, I refuse to buy them. I don't like the way they arbitrarily come up with MSRP. (MSRP = $5,000./each, but you can get them today only at CI for $1.25/each).
Yes, I exaggerated the numbers but, not by much.

I have found that a lot of Ghurka are over priced as well.

I have also had many of them plugged with draw issues. The ones I have laying in the bottom of the humidor will be the last one's I buy.

That being said I have not had any of the Cellar Reserve XO line.

But, if you find you like it, enjoy.

My buddy gave me one that looked like a small DE FP. homestly it was not bad, no FP but it didn't suck like your typical Ghurkha. Nothing i would purchase on myself. 

DeputyDawg said:
I have found that a lot of Ghurka are over priced as well.

I have also had many of them plugged with draw issues. The ones I have laying in the bottom of the humidor will be the last one's I buy.

That being said I have not had any of the Cellar Reserve XO line.

But, if you find you like it, enjoy.
Definitely. Gurkhas are all hype and no substance. In a nutshell, they are fairly bland cigars with flashy bands that have more burn problems than any other premium cigars I've ever smoked.

Its already an old cigar then why dont you smoke it. dont wait for it to get more old.

Backslide said:
I have yet to smoke a Gurkha that I would call good.

I said the same until I ditched the pre-conceived notion and the Cellar Reserve is quite good albeit over priced and I love the Ghost. That stick will always be in my humis. Give it a try if you havent thus far you might be surprised sir!

I agree with most of the comments within this thread.  IMHO, Gurkha doesn't exhibit consistent quality throughout their line.  Having attended a Gurkha event at the end of last summer at my local B&M, the only cigar I walked away with, that I thought was worth purchasing, was the Cellar Reserve.  I have one left in my humi (I have the perfecto, 4x58).  I encourage you to try it, you may like it despite the issues with quality with the Gurkha line in general.  

Backslide said:
I have yet to smoke a Gurkha that I would call good.

I am right there with you on this one.  One of my local shops is always asking me to try some kind of Gurkha.  I tried three or four and just got nothing good.  I do have some friends that smoke Gurkhas like crazy though.  My father-in-law is a huge fan.