• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hate you guys....

JoeGibs

Here I was, just joining the forum to ask some simple questions about a humidor, happily holding a stock of around 50 cigars, enjoying my Gurkha's, thinking you guys must be nuts holding a thousand sticks in your massive coolerdors. And after a while of hanging out here, seeing pictures of your guys' setups, I randomly walked into my guest bedroom, glanced at ye ol glass door gun cabinet that was my grandpa's muzzle loader cabinet, and I think to myself... DAMN THEM. The idea popped into my head that perhaps I should be considering transforming it into a big ol' humidor. As much as i'd like to build my show piece humidor out of walnut as I've been planning and posted about before, this cabinet just screams humidor to me. Wouldn't be difficult to seal up all the seams, build some shelving, and line the interior with spanish cedar.

For a space this large, i'm guessing a couple bovida packs wouldn't be enough. I'm assuming there's some kind of electronic humidity control units out there that might be suitable for something of this size?

cabinet.jpg

Don’t see why not. Perhaps some aquarium sealant around the glass and a gasket for the door. The biggest thing would be to ensure you are buying the proper variety and quality of cedar for the interior. We’ve seen people cheap out in projects and turn out unhappy.

There are so many people here with much more knowledge and experience than me, so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. But I believe sometimes you have to work with what you’ve got. Functionality wise, a large cooler or two are going to be the easiest to maintain. But if the presentation factor is part of what makes it fun for you, go for it! Just monitor your cigars closely for a good while after transferring them to make sure there’s no I’ll effect from poor humidity or potential odor from preexisting finish inside the cabinet.

Best of luck! Keep up posted on progress if you decide to go through with it.

I do agree with Hayden, though, on pretty much all of that. My first concern when hearing your plan was if the wood is at all permeated with smells of black powder and Hoppes No. 9. If you are sure that odor won't be an issue (that stuff might be an actual health issue, too -- I don't know), then I think it's a cool project!

The cost of Spanish cedar alone might be a prohibiting factor..that’s a pretty big space. Looks like a fun project though!

Here I was, just joining the forum to ask some simple questions about a humidor, happily holding a stock of around 50 cigars, enjoying my Gurkha's, thinking you guys must be nuts holding a thousand sticks in your massive coolerdors. And after a while of hanging out here, seeing pictures of your guys' setups, I randomly walked into my guest bedroom, glanced at ye ol glass door gun cabinet that was my grandpa's muzzle loader cabinet, and I think to myself... DAMN THEM. The idea popped into my head that perhaps I should be considering transforming it into a big ol' humidor. As much as i'd like to build my show piece humidor out of walnut as I've been planning and posted about before, this cabinet just screams humidor to me. Wouldn't be difficult to seal up all the seams, build some shelving, and line the interior with spanish cedar.

For a space this large, i'm guessing a couple bovida packs wouldn't be enough. I'm assuming there's some kind of electronic humidity control units out there that might be suitable for something of this size?

View attachment 52608
Joe, I can tell you are a lot like me, you like to work with wood and you would love a humidor that you built/modified with your own two hands.

The gratification of reaching for a cigar from a very unique humidor, which you built, would manifest itself every time you decide to smoke. If this is what you want, I wouldn't try to change your mind, I get it.

Let me give you a few things to ponder before you take the first steps to modify the gun cabinet.
  1. Think about how you really feel about cigar smoking. If you are hooked, you will outgrow the cabinet.
  2. You may encounter some of the issues others mentioned here, like smells. It would help the Gurkha's.:)
  3. You may encounter problems getting it truly sealed, the wood itself may seep your precious humidity.
  4. If you do outgrow it, you will then look back and wish you had left grandpa's gun cabinet alone.
All that being said, if you want to tackle the job, I love the idea.

Here is a tip if you are looking to make a big jump, either the cabinet or a large cooler. Silica beads are the most cost effective, hassle free, method of humidification IMHO. You can buy pure silica beads cheap and program them yourself.

PM me if you want more info on how to program the beads and build a rack for your coolerdor.

It's a cool project, outgrowing it may or may not happen. That shouldn't effect your decision to do this. I agree with what everyone has said for the most part. My cabinet has active humidity and I love it. This is what I use <<LINK>> but there are others out there. I think you should take week to decide if you are going to miss that cabinet in the end.

There was a thread here on a china hutch to humidor conversion, but the pic links were all busted so it was hard to tell what went down.

I see a couple other threads on other sites turn up in a Google search of "china hutch humidor". Might get some ideas, a china hutch isn't that much different.

FWIW, I have an unused hutch that was my parents' and two nearly empty gun cabinets as well as a well equipped shop and I use cooler/Tupperdores for storage. Thoughts of converting the hutch is how I found the old conversion threads.

No larger than that cabinet is, I might go for it. It'd make a nice display (if it doesn't smell of gun oil), but I'd still line it with Spanish Cedar and use a cooler for storage.

It’s doable. Here is a humidor that I built… I have since reworked it a little by leveling the top shelves to hold boxes rather than display trays.

That's what I did, and it works great. Line with plastic drop cloth and then luan, Spanish cedar shelves and drawers, beads/silica kitty litter for humidification. Couldn't be happier, less upkeep than my coolers I had before. Happy to answer any questing you have.

Old picture of it :
PXL_20211231_043545742.jpg

That's what I did, and it works great. Line with plastic drop cloth and then luan, Spanish cedar shelves and drawers, beads/silica kitty litter for humidification. Couldn't be happier, less upkeep than my coolers I had before. Happy to answer any questing you have.

Old picture of it :
View attachment 52614
I have a question!

Will you send me that box of H Upmanns?

Did you know he has those wired up now so when you open a lid it starts playing one of the Three Tenors?

He rotates it with angel song from time to time too. 👍
Did you know that I have these secured with a retina scanner? If anyone but me opens them, they get a 12 gauge to the balls, chest, or face, depending on which one you open.:oops: