• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Help a newb spend his money

Hixs

i c ded ppl
Evening, (morning?)

I've got a bonus coming my way and I'm thinking of setting aside €500 to start filling my inbound tupperdors. If I were to post up a few EU online sellers (safe links) maybe if a few of you would be kind enough to have a gander through and make some suggestions on whats a good buy (for a newb)? I am, of course, looking around the forums/youtube and seeing what others are enjoying, but I thought why not just ask...? It's all research at the end of the day!

Little bit of background for help with flavour profile:

Big whiskey drinker - preference leans towards Islay Scotch and spicy bourbon.
Red Wine - dry, peppery and full bodied (Madiran is my preference - happen to live close to there too!)
Love spicy food
I've smoked normal cigs on/off for years so I'm not 'new' to smoking
Drink my coffee as dark as it'll come
Love a strong hoppy beer and an ice cold Guinness

Obv free just to reel of some choice smokes you like/wish you had as a newb. Don't have to be expensive, don't have to be cheap either. I think comparing a ~10 to a 50 isn't a terrible idea as reference point.

Tupperware isn't on the large side, but should be big enough for just about any stick. Dimensions are 7" long 5" wide 2" deep. I've 8 of those coming.

Any cutter brands of note? not looking to spend silly money though. I've seen them as low as 10 for a plastic guillotine and upwards of 200, and I haven't look that hard yet.

What's the deal with lighters? Seems a lot of conflicting info out there. Anywhere from "nothing less then cedar matches" to "whatever creates fire". I'm not one to get snobby about a hobby, but I do like doing things 'properly'.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Just a gentle reminder that even though you’re from Europe where Cuban Cigars are legal, we have a rule about posting sources, or links to them publicly on the forum. I know it might not make sense considering we frequently post pictures of the Cuban cigars we buy and smoke. But, I don’t make the rules, I just follow them. 🙂😉

Ah ok.

Apologies.

Deleted.

That kinda scuppers that idea then!

Now that we’ve got that out of the way, what do your taste gravitate toward?

I might suggest the basics that you can’t go wrong with if you’re thinking Cuban: Por Larrabga Petit Corona, or Partagas Seri D No. 4.
Are you looking at NC cigars?

Great response! 😎

I can help you with your source questions via PM if you’d like. Everything else we can discuss here out in the open.
I'm a newb here, but been a forum goer since '98. Even considered a FOG myself elsewhere :) I know not to ruffle feathers.

I'm good for sources. Cubans are easy to get in the EU after all.

I've smoked 1 proper cigar which was a RyJ (correct?). Prob a No2 given I got 2 for £25.

Flavour profile - with whiskey and wine I went in at the top and worked my way down to the mild stuff. Strong, bold, good mouth feel etc

@jfields - actually will take you up on that offer of help with sources if they do singles.

I found the Partagas, but they only want to sell by the box.

I'm hitting the sack. I'll come back with a list of ideas tomorrow and see if they are a yay or nay.

Last edited:
Drink my coffee as dark as it'll come
How a person drinks coffee is often a good indicator of the type of cigars they like as the two seem to correlate. Look for a dark wrapper, something like a maduro or ligero. Padron makes a variety of great cigars that might satisfy your tastes.

How a person drinks coffee is often a good indicator of the type of cigars they like as the two seem to correlate. Look for a dark wrapper, something like a maduro or ligero. Padron makes a variety of great cigars that might satisfy your tastes.
That's so interesting, never realized my taste in cigars kind of evolved right along with my taste in coffee!

I’d hunt down Fuente Opus X cigars. As for stronger Cubans. The few I recall were Bolivar Gold Medal (don’t think these are in production), and Romeo y Julieta Cazadores, or Bolivar Royal Corona. A good fresh H.Upman mag 50 may fit the bill, but more on the medium side. Great variety of flavor though. You’d have to ask about current vs aged. I last had any of those 3-5 years ago.

Ah ok.

Apologies.

Deleted.

That kinda scuppers that idea then!
This should be an example of how new people should deal with a reminder of the rules! Respect to you sir, for not taking it personally 😎

ETA: I can’t offer too much perspective on CCs as my experience is relatively non existent compared to many guys here. That being said, I think Upmann Mag 54s and Juan Lopez 1 & 2 should be on your list if they aren’t already.

For NC I’m a huge fan of Illusione Cigars. I am also very fond everything I’ve had by Black Label Trading Co (Green Hornet and Morphine are my top two from them. Liga Privada cigars are also great.

For coffee, you gotta hit up Jerry from Killer Beans. You can find him on the Buy/Sell/Trade thread or on Facebook. His Tanzanian Peaberry and Nicaraguan Knife Fight are to die for. Enjoy!

Last edited: