• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hey Chat fans...

I find it odd you can criticize crude humor, and not say anything about tits hanging out of girls shirts. And about it being funny to only the people in chat, then maybe, but even though you don't think it is funny, others may. Just like some people don't mind the nude women all over the place, some people don't mid the sigs. If you don't, then wouldn't a good response be to PM them and ask if they take them off if they offend you? Why would you never say anything until it comes up and say "This is one of the reasons why, it makes you look bad". All of the guys want is CP chat back, besides all the humor and crude jokes, there is actually a lot of good stuff that goes on in there. This is why I am somewhat shocked on Rod's position in this because he has spent a good deal of time in there. Quit the stupid chat bashing and blaming, there is no reason we shouldn't have it besides it being a hog, so get one that's not a hog (which is easy) and quit all this bitching....

Let me be totally straight with you guys, since this issue of chat keeps coming up, and certain chat members keep pressing the issue.

Recently chat has become very popular. It seems that little thought was being put into some of the recent conversation taking place. Some of the discussion went way over the lines, and was nothing other than inappropriate. The primary focus of CigarPass is cigars. That chatroom is great for casual conversation; heck, I have no problem with people hanging out there 24/7 just chatting. The problem is two fold; 1.) it's a resource hog and 2.) it was cultivating dialogue where very little thought was put into conversation. There is no point in wasting resources when this type of communication can easily be hosted on IRC.

I cannot afford anymore database crashes or poor server performance due to the chatroom. There are plenty of other chat venues out there, so if it's that important, please use IRC or some other service. Chat will most likely be back down the road, after some of the more important upgrades are completed. Once it comes back, I would expect that more thought is put into some of the dialogue. Let me be clear, not all chat participants acted inappropriately.

I find it odd you can criticize crude humor, and not say anything about tits hanging out of girls shirts. And about it being funny to only the people in chat, then maybe, but even though you don't think it is funny, others may. Just like some people don't mind the nude women all over the place, some people don't mid the sigs. If you don't, then wouldn't a good response be to PM them and ask if they take them off if they offend you? Why would you never say anything until it comes up and say "This is one of the reasons why, it makes you look bad". All of the guys want is CP chat back, besides all the humor and crude jokes, there is actually a lot of good stuff that goes on in there. This is why I am somewhat shocked on Rod's position in this because he has spent a good deal of time in there. Quit the stupid chat bashing and blaming, there is no reason we shouldn't have it besides it being a hog, so get one that's not a hog (which is easy) and quit all this bitching....

Ben:

I just don't get it, why the emotional, personal, attack?

First......there are no tits hanging out of girls shirts as avatars or sig tags (close but not quite) and although those type pictures are not my choice of sig tag or avatar I do enjoy some of them. On the other hand, I fail to see how
[tomthirtysix] 1:23 pm: fun?
[tomthirtysix] 1:23 pm: in Utah?
[tomthirtysix] 1:23 pm: go see a jazz game?
[tomthirtysix] 1:24 pm: throw rocks at mormons?
[tomthirtysix] 1:24 pm: join a polygamist group?
could appeal to anyone other than those who may have witnessed it first hand, it doesn't even make sense unless you were there to witness that sicko, Tom, in action. :laugh:

Second......It's very simple why I never said anything before, it was never an issue before. Now that is has become an issue I gave my two cents. Now, are you going to tell me that my .02 should be kept out of the forum because you don't agree? Come on, you're bigger than that.

Third.......I don't know squat about chat, never been there, but I can tell you this..... from what I have read in the last few days there is a negative light on it which is probably unjust and probably caused by the use of colorful quips being used as sig tags. I know of no other reason anyone would dislike it (other than Rod's administrative issues), if you use it you must like it and if you don't (like me) who cares? This is the point that Shawn, Bruce, me, and others are making. You're shooting yourself in the foot on this one bro!

This also applies to chat!

Beejesuz, why don't you fockers join a chat/poker forum if it so important to you! (Statement not a question)

Otherwise, enjoy this place for what it is Cigars, Booze, Food, Women, Needlepoint and other sundry hobbies we all share!

Can you guys give this crap up, you want to play cards on-line for cigars, find another place. The man already said it's a hassle for resources and you continue to argue the point enough already. If you don't like it move on, you weren't a real member of Cigar Pass and you used this place, like you probably use everything else in your life.

It's Monday and I don't give a sh*t today so eff off. This means everyone that continues to post about this and don't expect an apology later on from me!

Edited to add:

Chat is like phone sex! Those 300+ transvestite have real sexy voices on the phone.

Save your money for the real thing :whistling:

Rod thank you for responding, I can certainly see where you are coming from and generally agree with you. If people need to clean up what they are saying, I don't think they would have a big problem with that for the most part.
In terms of resource hogging, chat is already actively going on IRC so I don't think anyone is going to take their ball and leave because of its absence on CP, everybody understands and appreciates your reasoning . My only concern is, and has been, associating the group of guys in there with profiteering and taking advantage of the community at large. Being that I consider myself both an active member of the board and chat, I feel included when people refer to 'chat' at large. And I really don't feel I would be worth much as person or friend if I didn't stand up and say "Thats not right" when people pull my friends into a mess that has nothing to do with them.

All I ask is that people keep separate issues separate. If you want to talk about scumbag profiteering or legitimate and fair gambling, debate the virtues of poker on CP bandwidth or collusion potential then fine. Just don't refer to it as "Those guy selling sticks they won in poker, welshing on bets... and the chat guys."

For the record, I have never witnessed any foul play, profiteering, stealing, or anything along those lines ever occur in chat. I have, however, witnessed some very inappropriate conversations and will not continue to have chat be a resource hog simply to host those conversations.

I think this is getting a bit out of hand on all sides.

Pro-Chat or N0-Chat, we are are all here for the same reasons. Our love of cigars and this cigar community. We are creating a rift that we do not need, really it is pointless.

Cigars and friendships, ladies and gentelmen, that is our common ground here. I wish we could all just take a moment and stand on it together.

Tim

This is just my two cents. Yes, this is a cigar forum and this is the reason that I joined to learn more. But I went into chat and was able to make some new friends. Out of those stupid chats I felt more comfortable to PM another BOTL for info. It is sometimes hard to be new to a site and only respond to certain threads because you might get slammed for posting and not reading. Chat was not like that. You can go in and during that chat find out how people are doing and ask a "stupid" question about a cigar. I know I have a ton of them being a newbie.

You started down the road of avatars and sig tags. I am a SOTL and I don't say anything about all the "nude" pictures of women. I understand that it is a boys club and I have to deal with that. Just like I think that some people just need to deal with sig tags. Some of the sig tags are a little crude but at the time they thought it was funny and they wanted to save the comments. Just like you save that one woman to your avatar. You don't have to agree with it but I think that you should just accept it for what it is.

I respect Rod for bringing chat down. I do miss it. :( But I also know that there are other ways to communicate with other members.

Kristin

Beejesuz, why don't you fockers join a chat/poker forum if it so important to you! (Statement not a question)

Otherwise, enjoy this place for what it is Cigars, Booze, Food, Women, Needlepoint and other sundry hobbies we all share!

lol... I don't know if that was a tongue-in-cheek joke or what, but it made me laugh. :laugh:

Rod, fair enough. I understand that the flashchat is a burden on the server, and I have no issues with you taking it down for that reason.

I hope it makes a return after the other upgrades are complete, but if not I will still continue to be an active member here, and look for ways to communicate with my friends in chat as well. We do appreciate the services you provide for us here.

Let me clarify this, so that everyone understands up front.

While the majority of the folks who use both the poker function and chat are good members of CP, we also have people that only hang on in chat and don't contribute to what CP is. I'm sure you can make a list of only chatters and the same on the poker.

My point is if you are interested in chatting or poker there are other venues. If people need to talk to me there is a device called a phone and I can even do conference calls. No, I'm not shilling for Rod, but I see his concerns on the primary focus of CP, having the threads available to everyone all the time. I'm one that enjoyed going to the chat room and BSing once in a while.

As in all things in life YMMV, but if this is a big issue for anyone you may need to find a life.

Its gone. Move on. I tried on occasion to join the chat room. But the content in there was so off base with what this forum is. So i decided to not bother going in there. I may be in the minority but, I for one am glad ROD took it offline.

lol... I don't know if that was a tongue-in-cheek joke or what, but it made me laugh. :laugh:

John it was both, there are very few subjects that aren't discussed in one way or the other on Cigar Pass. My last words on this thread has to do with what CP is about.

A valuable resource for a hobby that many of us are here for. The one plus out of the whole experience, is that I have some great friends for life. It starts with Rod and the list goes on, you all know who you are and that is what CP is about. Not the chat, poker, boger picking, maybe some of Gary's picture post though, but you get the drift!

Now you people need to find ways to occupy your idle time!

I want to know who the needlepointers are.

Doc.

I'm not picking on you singly, Ben. This is probably a moot point with regard to the chat, but I think, a valid, bigger issue. The model that is CigarPass developed over the last 8 years. Its a mean, or an average of the tastes, values, and tolerances of us who frequent it. The flamers usually get quickly banned and the those at the other end get quickly disgusted and never come back. What is left shape the culture of the board. We've been clear about the use of English and have banned political and religious discussions, recognizing that decorum simply can't be maintained. What we're doing now is redefining what we consider to be vulgar.

My list is pretty long and it includes much of what I've seen recently in chat. The constitution guarantees free speech and the price is that you're going to occasionally be offended. We may push back, or move on. If you're going to be vulgar in my living room, on my street, or my community (online, in this example) you're going to have me to deal with. In a more public place, not so much. If I can't influence you to clean it up, I'll go elsewhere.

I didn't go to chat often because I don't like the vulgarity. It didn't bother me because it was contained. But, not contained. It started spilling over into the forums. NSFW, don't (directly) post graphics that are close to the line, fock, f**k, chit, Mmmm, I think you get the idea. Can I compel you not cross the line? Nope. I can ask and I can influence your behavior. Please don't allude to some woman pissing on you in the shower. Its not what I want to see on CP.

As in all things in life YMMV, but if this is a big issue for anyone you may need to find a life.

I don't think any of our chat members' lives are devastated with the loss of the CP chat room. You're using hyperbole to make your point. Would you need to "find a life" if CP itself went down permenantly? No. Would you perhaps be at least a little upset? Probably.

Regardless... The only real issue that has been brought up that I really see in this thread is the issue of censorship suggested in post #1.

I have to ask if you guys really think having some of the vilest things I've seen said online quoted in your signatures is going to help you convince Rod to bring it back?
Censorship in avatars and sig tags isn't a new idea. Last time I'm aware this issue was brought up (link), the majority vote said leave censorship out of CP. I don't understand how the written word (much more difficult to catch the eye of a casual bystander in your computer room) should be under more intense scrutiny than the amount of near-nudity and bouncing T&A type images that abound on this board. There are controls for people who do not wish to see avatars or sig tags. There are also controls for people to not view the entire posts of people with whom they don't get along. Why can't we just leave it at that?

I am not saying I'm a fan of text about vulgar activities being plastered on our boards, but I'm not a fan of T&A bouncing around in my face when I'm on CigarPass and my significant other happens to be passing by and gets a glimpse of it. For those of us that don't like what we see, disable it. Trying to inspire change in a community of thousands of users, all with varying levels of tolerance to 'questionable' content, seems futile. Can we just live and let live? Block yourself out of things you don't want to see.

I get withdrawal symptoms whenever I click CP in my favorites and I get the SQL error or the dreaded "page cannot be found" messages. I'm also one of the guys who would drop into chat once in while to shoot the breeze, but if chat was the cause of my withdrawal cold sweats, then good riddance. I'll miss the late nights when I can go and hassle Moki for his lack of poker skills, but I'd rather have the CP forums up and running.