• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hey Chat fans...

[*]associate CPChat with the thieving bastards who fail to make good on their debts/promises. - I haven't seen this at all.

This is what had started the entire problem, and what Phil has been asking about. Go back through the poker-related problem threads. The poker and chat room are linked together by multiple members.

They were compared to one another in regards to "what makes an active member" and not linked to one another regarding payout problems at all.

But why was it brought up at all? No one from chat has ever disappeared over a debt or been accused of being a "chat pro." This is what Phil has been asking, to no avail, since the beginning.

This ain't funny you fuggers. I'm under a great deal of pressure here. My wife has been president of the Capitol Quilters Guild for the past three years. I know more about this shit than any man should know. I can tell a Depression era quilt from an Amish quilt from Joe shit the Ragman's wife's quilt. And I can tell ya, it's got nothing to do with needle point.

Doc.

Unfortunately Doc I understood most of this. I spent a great deal of my youth being dragged from one fabric store to the next, "just to see what they have." I know more about Fussy Cut Quilts than I care to.

[*]associate CPChat with the thieving bastards who fail to make good on their debts/promises. - I haven't seen this at all.

This is what had started the entire problem, and what Phil has been asking about. Go back through the poker-related problem threads. The poker and chat room are linked together by multiple members.

They were compared to one another in regards to "what makes an active member" and not linked to one another regarding payout problems at all.

But why was it brought up at all? No one from chat has ever disappeared over a debt or been accused of being a "chat pro." This is what Phil has been asking, to no avail, since the beginning.

UGH.

The to are comparable in the sense they are 'parts of' or 'services of' CigarPass as a whole.

If someone just posted in chat..then tried to sell cigars(and NOT be active in other areas)...they'd be set right. (Like that one Doc?)

That is all...no bad mouth of chat (until the vulgarity issue arose :) )....and no wanting it to be gone.

Did I miss something?

Oh yea....FAITH!

Its about chat being posted out of context by a few people that is

1) If it's a few people shouldn't it be handled by PM or with Rod? Why the big discussion if the problem is so contained?

2) I also find it a bit comical that the post right before yours has a quote leading into it that takes more scrolling on my part than any sig I've ever seen. Should this be allowed? Perhaps we need more rules.

1) Its not so contained and its becoming more prevalent now that chat is missing... like some sort of thumbing your nose ritual by those involved.

2) And being devils advocate is one thing... posting nonsense is another.

Also I decided to try and get this problem taken care of now so Chat will return someday to CP! I miss it too! Remember the mantra, "self moderated boards"? If no one had the bravado to mention things that are bothering them, this place would have fell apart a long time ago.

While we don't support censorship, that does not give certain members the right to post extremely vulgar and inappropriate content, whether it be in the forum, chatroom, or poker lounge. Some of the stuff posted in chat does not even come close to the avatars and sig tags posted in the forum, not even close.

There are rules in place, and they apply to all facets of CP, not just the forum. I have yet to see an avatar depicting nudity - cleavage yes, nudity no. When inappropriate avatars/images are reported to me, I always handle it accordingly.

If the lobby started becoming abused with continuous inappropriate language, do you guys really think that would be ok? Would you pull up the censorship post I made and say "look here, you said you don't believe in censorship."? Requesting that people practice some decency is one thing, comparing that to censorship is another. This is not an internet newsgroup, most newsgroups have failed due to lack of decorum.

There are lines that simply should not be crossed, and rules that are in place to maintain an upstanding community. Pulling up an old post I made in regards to censorship does not equate here - it's called using good judgment. There are still rules in place, and those rules will be upheld. If you want to see censorship, visit some of the other cigar forums. ;)

There is clearly a divide; if chat is more important than the forum/community itself, then I don't know what tell you guys. I have made a ton of really good friends through this community, and I didn't need chat to do so.

Perhaps some of you guys should re-read our rules: http://www.cigarpass.com/forum_etiquette.shtml

What applies to the forum applies to chat as well - chat is/was to be used by everyone. When and if it comes back, I expect a bit more etiquette to be exercised. No one is being called out, no one is being banned, I don't understand why some of you are so sensitive over this issue. The fact remains, chat was abused AND it took far too many resources to run. I can't put it in simpler terms than that.

Once again, I have never witness nor have I heard of any debts being owed from the chatroom.

Tom:

I think I understand the issue better since you explained via PM. I don't think anyone is bucking the inappropriate lumping of chat with the bad side of poker. I think what is perpetuating this discussion is the guys who seem to be throwing anything they can at what they perceive as a right to cut and paste anything they want from chat as a sig tag. And quite honestly the quotes from chat used as sig tags are of no more interest to the board than if you and I wrote a transcript of a phone conversation down and used it as a sig tag.

I have seen plenty of people do the following:

• complain about chat. - I haven't seen this at all.
  • base their statements on a misunderstanding that Chat Hooligans want Flashchat back immediately regardless of performance impact. - I haven't seen this at all either. Gonz just likes typing in big letters. :sign:
  • complain about vulgarity on the boards with CPChat mislabeled as the ultimate or predominant source. - It is due to the sig tags... most of us refrain from using such content in our posts here
  • generally sound off without actually contributing to a solution. - Thats what my thread is about
  • associate CPChat with the thieving bastards who fail to make good on their debts/promises. - I haven't seen this at all.

And this brings up another point, why be hooligans to begin with? Being a hooligan wasn't something to be proud of last time I checked. Maybe its my upbringing or my age, but I associate fine cigar smoking with being a gentleman.

* Complaints about chat:
Its gone. Move on. I tried on occasion to join the chat room. But the content in there was so off base with what this forum is. So i decided to not bother going in there. I may be in the minority but, I for one am glad ROD took it offline.
I didn't go to chat often because I don't like the vulgarity. It didn't bother me because it was contained. But, not contained. It started spilling over into the forums. NSFW, don't (directly) post graphics that are close to the line, fock, f**k, chit, Mmmm, I think you get the idea. Can I compel you not cross the line? Nope. I can ask and I can influence your behavior. Please don't allude to some woman pissing on you in the shower. Its not what I want to see on CP.

* Humor appreciated.

* Sig tags. As 42 states above, why not handle it through PM's then, if the problem is so contained?

* Associations between Chat and thieves, liars, cheats, and other subhumans:

There were several posts in the "OK Ask Away" thread that imply an association between Chat and the thieves that Insight was addressing, but no one would respond.

Finally, I chose hooligans because I felt that this is how my brothers in chat were being labeled, and one can remove the sting and power from a label by taking it on, owning it, and changing the connotations.

Shawn, thank you for being willing to discuss this directly, and without emotional detritus interfering.

They were brought up because they are services external to the forums that the forum does not need to exist! No one said anything about chat members welching on bets or deals. Since then some have made comments about chat members being a bit crude and immature (at times) but that seems to be a sense of pride among them.

Should we now be upset that chat members are being linked to Quilters?!?! I can't for the life of figure out why so much energy is being expended on this topic.

I find it very odd that my PM box is empty. I just checked all my PM's to see if I missed something previously, and nada.

I'm glad we could just air the complaints in public. It's clearly the most appropriate way to handle things.

I fervently wish that we could discuss this in person. This medium lends itself to misinterpretations, poorly-executed arguments, and most of the crap that screws us up in person is increased exponentially online.

I find it very odd that my PM box is empty. I just checked all my PM's to see if I missed something previously, and nada.

I'm glad we could just air the complaints in public. It's clearly the most appropriate way to handle things.

Josh, please take this as it is meant, I am not singling you out but you create a perfect example what I think is at issue. Can you tell me what you believe the general masses at CP would get from your sig tag?

I hope I worded that properly, it is not meant to inflame.

* Associations between Chat and thieves, liars, cheats, and other subhumans:

This seems to be the biggest problem, and I really think it was a misunderstanding, no one said that type of behavior was happening in chat.

NO ONE!

Chat was only compared to the poker room in that both are fringe benefits of the forum during a discussion of how active a member has to be/ should be to use them.

Nothing less, nothing more.

I would have chosen the word Hardcore Chatter before I used Hooligan, maybe its Soccer thing, but Hooligan implies the lowest form of scum on the planet. I still vividly remember that French Policeman laying in a puddle of his blood and brains after being attacked by soccer hooligans and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Both Bruce and Alex (and now me) are bringing up the excessive vulgarity that was going on in chat and now has spread out to signatures because we don't think it is needed at CP.

I don't think anyone of us wants butterflies and Sunshine to fly out of each and every Chatter's butt the entire time they are in there, but a more than a bit of self restraint would be greatly welcomed, it is what divides us from the animals you know. ;)

I'm calling you out, YOU KNOW WHY!

If it was JUST YOU maybe a PM would have been appropriate. It isn't though, so it was necessary to take it public to discuss.

Josh, please take this as it is meant, I am not singling you out but you create a perfect example what I think is at issue. Can you tell me what you believe the general masses at CP would get from your sig tag?

I hope I worded that properly, it is not meant to inflame.

Mild amusement at quotes intentionally taken out of sarcasm? I'm not sure when I started quoting chat in my signature... somewhere between 8-12 months ago I believe.

No one ever complained, I assumed anyone that needed clean viewing at work already had signatures and avatars turned off at work. Apparently, I was wrong.

However, having my signature in this fashion for that long, I never received one complaint or suggestion to change it. Not one PM, not one line in chat, where I have been available mostly on a daily basis.

If I had known anyone found it distasteful or offensive I would have toned it down or eliminating it completely. I find the handling of it like this in really poor taste.

If it was JUST YOU maybe a PM would have been appropriate. It isn't though, so it was necessary to take it public to discuss.

That's absurd. It's not like yesterday everything was sunshine and lollipops and today there's dozen offensive signatures spreading evil and causing people to lose their jobs.

I've been in chat with you multiple times since I've had my signature this way. The same goes for many other chatters whose signatures you don't agree with.

It was just this morning you decided to make an issue with this. Why not slip me a PM in February?

I don't think anyone of us wants butterflies and Sunshine to fly out of each and every Chatter's butt the entire time they are in there

Damnit, Shawn, you caught me off guard and I nearly choked to death on a bit of saliva that went down the wrong tube as I was laughing.

Back