• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hey Chat fans...

As in all things in life YMMV, but if this is a big issue for anyone you may need to find a life.

I don't think any of our chat members' lives are devastated with the loss of the CP chat room. You're using hyperbole to make your point. Would you need to "find a life" if CP itself went down permenantly? No. Would you perhaps be at least a little upset? Probably.

Regardless... The only real issue that has been brought up that I really see in this thread is the issue of censorship suggested in post #1.

I have to ask if you guys really think having some of the vilest things I've seen said online quoted in your signatures is going to help you convince Rod to bring it back?
Censorship in avatars and sig tags isn't a new idea. Last time I'm aware this issue was brought up (link), the majority vote said leave censorship out of CP. I don't understand how the written word (much more difficult to catch the eye of a casual bystander in your computer room) should be under more intense scrutiny than the amount of near-nudity and bouncing T&A type images that abound on this board. There are controls for people who do not wish to see avatars or sig tags. There are also controls for people to not view the entire posts of people with whom they don't get along. Why can't we just leave it at that?

I am not saying I'm a fan of text about vulgar activities being plastered on our boards, but I'm not a fan of T&A bouncing around in my face when I'm on CigarPass and my significant other happens to be passing by and gets a glimpse of it. For those of us that don't like what we see, disable it. Trying to inspire change in a community of thousands of users, all with varying levels of tolerance to 'questionable' content, seems futile. Can we just live and let live? Block yourself out of things you don't want to see.

I want to know who the needlepointers are.

Doc.

My wife is trying very hard to get me into quilting. She's darn close to as passionate about it as I am cigars. She wants me to become a "Gentleman Quilter". :sign:

can_of_worms_ahead.jpg

That made me laugh out loud......in a place where my laugh drew a few looks........so no more funny pictures either ;)

I saved it to my hard drive as soon as I saw it... :laugh:

Oh and 42 I'm supposed to disable sigs because I find some of the things posted in them vile? I think not. I think some of the people who have such sigs need to realize they are hurting their own cause and man up and do something about it. Its not about censorship, its about common sense and maturity.

Hell, we talked like that (sometimes) when I was in the Army, but we didn't spray-paint it on the sides of the barracks for everyone to see and read everyday when they walked by.

Censorship in avatars and sig tags isn't a new idea. Last time I'm aware this issue was brought up (link), the majority vote said leave censorship out of CP. I don't understand how the written word (much more difficult to catch the eye of a casual bystander in your computer room) should be under more intense scrutiny than the amount of near-nudity and bouncing T&A type images that abound on this board. There are controls for people who do not wish to see avatars or sig tags. There are also controls for people to not view the entire posts of people with whom they don't get along. Why can't we just leave it at that?

From that same thread:

Link

Rod said:
Two options - 1.) Turn off sigtags and avatars like others have suggested, or 2.) View CigarPass when you know you're daughter won't be sneaking up on you. CigarPass is not a kid-friendly site, technically speaking you're supposed to be 18+ to participate since we're a tobacco related community.

As far as the poll goes, I voted "NULL".

Hope this clarifies my stance on the issue.

I get withdrawal symptoms whenever I click CP in my favorites and I get the SQL error or the dreaded "page cannot be found" messages. I'm also one of the guys who would drop into chat once in while to shoot the breeze, but if chat was the cause of my withdrawal cold sweats, then good riddance. I'll miss the late nights when I can go and hassle Moki for his lack of poker skills, but I'd rather have the CP forums up and running.

I have yet to see someone state that they want Flashchat back to the detriment of the board's performance.

I have seen plenty of people do the following (and this is not directled at StrayVector):

• complain about chat.
  • base their statements on a misunderstanding that Chat Hooligans want Flashchat back immediately regardless of performance impact.
  • complain about vulgarity on the boards with CPChat mislabeled as the ultimate or predominant source.
  • generally sound off without actually contributing to a solution.
  • associate CPChat with the thieving bastards who fail to make good on their debts/promises.

42 brings up a good point. Censorship has been discussed in the past and has been declined by the membership at large. MiamiCubano's argument regarding such is solid:

Yes, this is a cigar forum, so do we eliminate all tangental topics? Sports? Poker? Libations? Its a slippery slope and where to draw the line becomes increasingly tenuous as one travels down a road such as you suggest. To set such confines becomes difficult in that who then decides what is acceptable? Is it the proverbial "I know it when I see it" test? Or do we, once chicks are eliminated/banned, then start banning anything else someone finds offensive [...] ?

I think we are all getting far too emotional and impassioned in this discussion. I've seen several people mis-state the positions of the proponents of the opposing viewpoint. Take a minute, step back, and consider the following:

1. Chat is no longer hosted on CP servers.
  2. Chat will not return to CP servers until Rod has had time to make other improvements, upgrades, and complete maintenance tasks associated with managing the technical aspects of the board.
  3. Chat will not return to CP servers if it will negatively impact board performance
  4. The Chat Hooligans are OK with 1, 2, and 3 above, having outsourced it to a free IRC host.

Doc.

My wife is trying very hard to get me into quilting. She's darn close to as passionate about it as I am cigars. She wants me to become a "Gentleman Quilter". :sign:

Doc.

Looking to join in?

:D

Doc.

Looking to join in?

I think doc is more of a quilting bee kinda guy myself... :cool:
This ain't funny you fuggers. I'm under a great deal of pressure here. My wife has been president of the Capitol Quilters Guild for the past three years. I know more about this shit than any man should know. I can tell a Depression era quilt from an Amish quilt from Joe shit the Ragman's wife's quilt. And I can tell ya, it's got nothing to do with needle point.

Doc.

I really don't see how asking someone to practice decorum in the words they post here is censorship. It's simply a request for some level of civility and goodwill toward your fellow BOTLs.

I don't like some of the images in signatures or avatars, I block those that I find distasteful and report those that are obviously against the rules here. I can't do that with the words in signatures. I either have to allow them or block them all. I like to view the signatures of people posting as it gives some insight as to who they are. If I block them all, I lose that.

Doc.

Doc.

Looking to join in?

Doc.

Looking to join in?

I think doc is more of a quilting bee kinda guy myself... :cool:
This ain't funny you fuggers. I'm under a great deal of pressure here. My wife has been president of the Capitol Quilters Guild for the past three years. I know more about this shit than any man should know. I can tell a Depression era quilt from an Amish quilt from Joe shit the Ragman's wife's quilt. And I can tell ya, it's got nothing to do with needle point.

Doc.

Hey you just found a new side line, you can educate men on the differences in quilts and how to invest in them for profit! Turn career into a source for cigar, pipes and tobacco!

From that same thread:

Link

Rod said:
Two options - 1.) Turn off sigtags and avatars like others have suggested, or 2.) View CigarPass when you know you're daughter won't be sneaking up on you. CigarPass is not a kid-friendly site, technically speaking you're supposed to be 18+ to participate since we're a tobacco related community.

As far as the poll goes, I voted "NULL".

Hope this clarifies my stance on the issue.

That has nothing at all to do with this, my kid couldn't read most of the stuff posted in the sigs to begin with and even if she could wouldn't understand what it meant. Bouncing boobies don't bother anyone over here in Europe either, Its the US of A that seems to take being prude to such high extremes.

Its about chat being posted out of context by a few people that is

1) vile

2) not funny to anyone else who wasn't involved in it

3) immature

4) longer than shit, I'm a firm believer that your posts should be longer than your sig. why should I end up with carpal tunnel syndrome because I'm being forced to scroll half a page when some yahoo has a signature larger than a 800x600 picture under each and everyone of his threads?

5) and most importantly, reflects badly on what really happens MOST OF THE TIME in the chat room, BOTLS and SOTLs talking about cigars and other hobbies they are interested in.

I have seen plenty of people do the following:

• complain about chat. - I haven't seen this at all.
  • base their statements on a misunderstanding that Chat Hooligans want Flashchat back immediately regardless of performance impact. - I haven't seen this at all either. Gonz just likes typing in big letters. :sign:
  • complain about vulgarity on the boards with CPChat mislabeled as the ultimate or predominant source. - It is due to the sig tags... most of us refrain from using such content in our posts here
  • generally sound off without actually contributing to a solution. - Thats what my thread is about
  • associate CPChat with the thieving bastards who fail to make good on their debts/promises. - I haven't seen this at all.

And this brings up another point, why be hooligans to begin with? Being a hooligan wasn't something to be proud of last time I checked. Maybe its my upbringing or my age, but I associate fine cigar smoking with being a gentleman.

Its about chat being posted out of context by a few people that is

If it's a few people shouldn't it be handled by PM or with Rod? Why the big discussion if the problem is so contained?

4) longer than shit, I'm a firm believer that your posts should be longer than your sig. why should I end up with carpal tunnel syndrome because I'm being forced to scroll half a page when some yahoo has a signature larger than a 800x600 picture under each and everyone of his threads?
I also find it a bit comical that the post right before yours has a quote leading into it that takes more scrolling on my part than any sig I've ever seen. Should this be allowed? Perhaps we need more rules.

[*]associate CPChat with the thieving bastards who fail to make good on their debts/promises. - I haven't seen this at all.

This is what had started the entire problem, and what Phil has been asking about. Go back through the poker-related problem threads. The poker and chat room are linked together by multiple members.

Doc.

Both Nana and Mom-mom quilted when I was a wee lad Doc, I think quilts are a very interesting part of Americana and anything you can snuggle with your honey under on a cold fall day is manly enough for me... :thumbs:

I'm stilling laughing a... errr with you though :sign:

As far as scantily clad women versus distasteful quips from chat, there is a difference: Anything that crosses the line on nudity is "supposed to be tagged" with NSFW. Maybe chatters should create a link in their sig tag that warns us as well........something like MDFCWWOATTWHASI (Meaningless Drivel From Chat Which Would Only Mean Anything To Those Who Have Already Seen It)

Sorry chatters, I just had to :whistling:

Seems to me, A.G. Bell invented a solution to you chatters problems.

Doc.

[*]associate CPChat with the thieving bastards who fail to make good on their debts/promises. - I haven't seen this at all.

This is what had started the entire problem, and what Phil has been asking about. Go back through the poker-related problem threads. The poker and chat room are linked together by multiple members.

They were compared to one another in regards to "what makes an active member" and not linked to one another regarding payout problems at all.

Doc.

Both Nana and Mom-mom quilted when I was a wee lad Doc, I think quilts are a very interesting part of Americana and anything you can snuggle with your honey under on a cold fall day is manly enough for me... :thumbs:

I'm stilling laughing a... errr with you though :sign:

Heck, an American Indian blanket is the highest 'shown' item every on the Antiques Road Show.