• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hockey

Sorry for the semi-hijack but I'm more of a college hockey fan, so with that said.

Go Fighting Sioux!!

All forms of hockey are indeed to be included in the hockey topic. Thats probably one of the few things that I do not like about living on the west coast. No good college hockey teams and or televised games :( But back to the NHL, the Kings seemed to be playing well offensively now if they could shore up the Pk a bit. Also hats off to Anze Kopitar for scoring his first hat trick yesterday against the Stars in a rather fun filled game.

So the Kings win again beating the Blue Jackets and Anze is on fire! By the way..... how is Colorodo first in the conference? :thumbs:

Check this out: My linkIt must suck to be a Leafs fan.

Doc

That's not a real Leafs fan. That guy was probably really an Ottawa Sens fan who was just in the closet. You want to see bi polar hockey fans listen to Ottawa radio or read it's papers two days in a row. Guess that's what happens when you only have one pro team to follow.

Sigh the Kings have been the victims of two losses by shoot out. Two points out of four is not too bad :angry:

Sigh the Kings have been the victims of two losses by shoot out. Two points out of four is not too bad :angry:
Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the new hockey rules. Of course, I still think we should go back to the original six. Those were the days.

Doc.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the new hockey rules. Of course, I still think we should go back to the original six. Those were the days.

Doc.

And don't forget the Rover, no forward passes, full penalties no matter how many goals are scored on a PP and young people that show RESPECT! :p

Doc.

And don't forget the Rover, no forward passes, full penalties no matter how many goals are scored on a PP and young people that show RESPECT! :p
I ain't that fuggin' old, but I remember when Toronto didn't suck, there were only 12 goal keepers in the entire league, all better that we got now, the only player with a helmet was Stan Makita and he took more than one beating for it, and players didn't wear body amour and there were less injuries. And there WAS more respect. I blame it on Americans who don't appreciate nor deserve the sport the way it was meant to be played.

Doc.

Sigh the Kings have been the victims of two losses by shoot out. Two points out of four is not too bad
mad.gif

Doc.

And don't forget the Rover, no forward passes, full penalties no matter how many goals are scored on a PP and young people that show RESPECT!
tongue.gif
I ain't that fuggin' old, but I remember when Toronto didn't suck, there were only 12 goal keepers in the entire league, all better that we got now, the only player with a helmet was Stan Makita and he took more than one beating for it, and players didn't wear body amour and there were less injuries. And there WAS more respect. I blame it on Americans who don't appreciate nor deserve the sport the way it was meant to be played.

Doc.

Amen Doc! I hate to go off subject here, but don't you hate the way baseball is pushing more and more for replay? What happened to the human aspect of the game. Big difference in what they're talking about with that and goal reviews done in Toronto.

Doc.

I don't blame Americans, I blame GREEDY Americans and GREEDY Canadians who thought changing things to suit TV and large populations with no idea what hockey even is as the problem. Of course, my memory only goes back to things such as the '87 Canada Cup, not when they played with tube skates and only outdoors Doc.

Plus, what's wrong with replay in Toronto? It's about time some jobs got outsourced up North. :D

Doc.

To an extent I am going to have to disagree with the Doc. Now I am not going to say that all the rules in the game should not be modified or taken out of the game but I think the rules have evolved with the product of the ice. I am too young to remember or for that matter seen Stan Makita play but i do remember Criag Mactavish playing on the Oilers and he was the last player to have the choice of wearing a helmet or not. I want to try to point out that the play style and the players themselves have change. Players are bigger, faster, stronger (with or without medical enhancement) and thus player safety has come into question. The rules are there to protect the players and the gear is there for their protection as well. Now I know the goalie gear in the past years has become ridiculously monstrous and the league put forth an effort to keep the goalies safe yet promote goal scoring.

Doc.

I don't blame Americans, I blame GREEDY Americans and GREEDY Canadians who thought changing things to suit TV and large populations with no idea what hockey even is as the problem. Of course, my memory only goes back to things such as the '87 Canada Cup, not when they played with tube skates and only outdoors Doc.

Plus, what's wrong with replay in Toronto? It's about time some jobs got outsourced up North. :D

If the expansion of the NHL did not happen then we the fans would be be able to see the talent that is found in the eastern European countries. Not to be a homer but if the Kings did not exist, would we be able to see the first Slovenian to play in the league (Anze Kopitar). The size of the league promotes a health environment for the game. Honestly if the NHL did not try to reach out to the large populations then the league in itself would not exist. Look at the North Stars of the 90's. They were in the "hot bed" of hockey yet the team packed up and went to Dallas, thankfully the NHL gave the good people of Minnesota another team.

Well I do not want to be long winded and all so I'm stop here. Looking forward to people disagreeing with me so the topic and live on :D

Edit: Failed to say the following: Doc, I'll be honest I am not a fan of the shoot out. Games should be able to end in a tie, but I know that the non niche fans did not enjoy the fact the game ends without a winner. Now I know the league has sold out to the masses but I think its for the betterment of the league.

I like the shoot out myself in regular season, I know that's blasphamous (Nagano '98 anyone? Seriously, WTF? You don't let Gretzky take a shot? What the...NVM) to be Canadian and say it, but there I did.

I think Doc's point is a good one. I've never played anything but pick up but I'll tell you, when everyone is wearing full face masks and full gear the sticks are up, guys go into corners recklessly, they fly at the goalie, etc. When we play without face masks, or even pants or shoulder pads, guys give room, and sticks never go above the waist or near the shins. And for the most part it's unspoken (unless someone breaks that 'code' then it's loudly pointed out to them) so I'd imagine some of that would transfer over to higher levels.

"Not to be a homer but if the Kings did not exist, would we be able to see the first Slovenian to play in the league (Anze Kopitar)[?]" Yes...in fact if he was drafted by an East Coast team we'd see more of him.

Finally as for the teams that moved from the 'hockey hotbed' of the North and moved south few of those moves were due to lack of fan interest but had more to do with run down areanas that did not have the tax breaks, capacity, corporate sponsorship, and luxury boxes that were offered by towns down south and we not profitable for those reasons. Also, a $0.60 Cdn to USD didn't help Winnipeg or Quebec City either.

"Not to be a homer but if the Kings did not exist, would we be able to see the first Slovenian to play in the league (Anze Kopitar)[?]" Yes...in fact if he was drafted by an East Coast team we'd see more of him.

Now I am not saying that the teams would not have picked him but I was more or less trying to point out that more teams in the league does provided more players to play, but that is an rather simple point. :D

Now I am not saying that the teams would not have picked him but I was more or less trying to point out that more teams in the league does provided more players to play, but that is an rather simple point. :D

True, I think a healthy 26 team league would be best. If that was the case you'd only lose a few fourth liners and 6th or 7th defensemen and Vessa Toskala. All of which would be an improvement. I think one of the best picks/pick ups the Kings got have to be Ryan Smyth. He and Shane Doan have been stalwarts on the Canadian World Championship teams and are great additions to any team.

True, I think a healthy 26 team league would be best. If that was the case you'd only lose a few fourth liners and 6th or 7th defensemen and Vessa Toskala. All of which would be an improvement. I think one of the best picks/pick ups the Kings got have to be Ryan Smyth. He and Shane Doan have been stalwarts on the Canadian World Championship teams and are great additions to any team.

In all honestly the NHL should downsize the league and get rid of the Ducks :D. Did the league not flirt with the idea of taking a few teams or was that baseball? I do not remember. But seriously I was not really on board with Ryan Smyth coming to the Kings. I mean I know he is a good player and has killed the Kings a few times when he was on the Oilers. To me it seemed the Kings picking up another aging veteran that was over the hill, however he has been a great surprise to say the least and is messing with Anze very well.

Ah! That was a good game last night, and by that I mean the Kings won! As you might expect, Staples Center was a mix between Kings fans and Pens fans. As with any successful team, so come the bandwagon fans and there were a couple a few rows in front of me wearing Steeler jerseys. I mean, c'mon! At least byuy a Pens shirt or something! I had a nice time pointing this out to our section. Nothing dirty, just good opposing fan ribbing.

As for other hockey stuff:

The Pens are still at or near the top of the league. The Kings won but without some sparkling saves from Quick it could've been nasty.

Colorado is still quite powerful. Will the bottom ever fall out?

Sharks, always at or near the top during the regular season. But the playoff question always remains.

Coyotes, Dave Tippett has done a fantastic job, but I still wonder how long they'll stay in Glendale/Phoenix.