• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Homebrewers - What are you Brewing - Post a Pic

“Grandma’s Secret Stash” Stout
E67471E5-579D-404D-8DA4-C833444274AB.jpeg405097C0-2957-4DB0-9693-FF544EEA9824.jpeg
2-Row, Golden Promise, Flaked Oats, Belgian Biscuit, Chocolate malt, English roasted barley, Belgian special B, and Briess black malt. Brewers gold hops. Black rum soaked raisins will go in 10 minutes from end of boil.

“Grandma’s Secret Stash” Stout
View attachment 49700View attachment 49701
2-Row, Golden Promise, Flaked Oats, Belgian Biscuit, Chocolate malt, English roasted barley, Belgian special B, and Briess black malt. Brewers gold hops. Black rum soaked raisins will go in 10 minutes from end of boil.
I would eat the trub that looks so good.

I would eat the trub that looks so good.
I used to make doggy treats out of the spent grains, they loved them.

Hayden, I'm so happy to see how much you're brewing, only a little jealous! 😂 I love Special B, not sure I ever used it in a stout though, used a ton in big Belgians. Clean yeast?

I used to make doggy treats out of the spent grains, they loved them.

Hayden, I'm so happy to see how much you're brewing, only a little jealous! 😂 I love Special B, not sure I ever used it in a stout though, used a ton in big Belgians. Clean yeast?
Safale 04. Pretty simple and clean in our experience. I’m not a Huge fan of Belgian beers and the crazy flavors imparted by the yeast are the root cause. Like I drink them from time to time but I’m not a fan of that “funk” flavor that Hefeweizens and Belgians usually have.

Safale 04. Pretty simple and clean in our experience. I’m not a Huge fan of Belgian beers and the crazy flavors imparted by the yeast are the root cause. Like I drink them from time to time but I’m not a fan of that “funk” flavor that Hefeweizens and Belgians usually have.
Oh man, I love Belgian beer more than any other region probably, though German would be a close second. I had so many different Belgian yeast strains in my bank that I had cultured from commercial bottles or bought. Wyeast used to (probably still does?) do limited edition/seasonal releases, I could never say no to the Belgian ones! 😂

I always liked S04, drive yeast are just so damn convenient to keep on hand too.

What do you mean by “funk flavor”? I haven’t brewed in a long time but I remember getting a tangy kind of flavor if I cooked the LME a little too long.

What do you mean by “funk flavor”? I haven’t brewed in a long time but I remember getting a tangy kind of flavor if I cooked the LME a little too long.
Belgian yeast creates fruit and spice notes, kind of along the same lines as hefeweisen, especially if you ferment warm. General, I think of funky as beers with Brett or other wild yeast/bacteria.

I don’t have a better word currently to describe it. It’s just a very distinct yeast flavor that I am not a fan of. I mostly taste it in dubbels, farmhouse ales and saisions (which for some reason I am a fan of)

Justin, I agree with the fruity flavors in a lot of Belgian beers. And it typically seems to be fairly tart in my experience. But I am very inexperienced with Belgian yeast.

I don’t have a better word currently to describe it. It’s just a very distinct yeast flavor that I am not a fan of. I mostly taste it in dubbels, farmhouse ales and saisions (which for some reason I am a fan of)

Justin, I agree with the fruity flavors in a lot of Belgian beers. And it typically seems to be fairly tart in my experience. But I am very inexperienced with Belgian yeast.
It's OK, you're young. You'll understand some day! 😂

Had a large brew day yesterday with a friend.

Did a Pliny the Elder clone, More Beer M-80 IPA (which will be non-alcoholic), and a double batch of Hop Water. I didn't get any pictures during the process, but it was a LONG day sitting and waiting. We did enjoy a few cigars while brewing though.

Did a Pliny the Elder clone, More Beer M-80 IPA (which will be non-alcoholic), and a double batch of Hop Water. I didn't get any pictures during the process, but it was a LONG day sitting and waiting. We did enjoy a few cigars while brewing though.
Was always curious how you make a non - alcoholic beer?

Was the PyE clone the one from homebrew talk? I made that beer a few times, it was delicious.

I’ve never had hop water, it it sounds like it would be fun to make. How do you carbonate yours? I don’t have the ability to force carb, so I’m assuming I’ll be out of luck unless there is a way to bottle carb

Was always curious how you make a non - alcoholic beer?

Was the PyE clone the one from homebrew talk? I made that beer a few times, it was delicious.

I have been researching brewing non-alcoholic beer for a few months, since I found out I can't drink alcohol anymore due to a liver function deficiency. You go through the whole process of an actual brew including pitching yeast and full fermentation, then before you carb you put the beer back in a boil kettle and get it to 150-170 degrees and let it simmer for 30-45 mins. That process will "boil" out the alcohol sine alcohol burns off at about 120 degrees.

From research you do need to alter the hop bill by 50%, because when you do the alcohol boil off it reactivates the hops and intensifies the flavor.

I used an inexpensive all-grain brew that I have done in the past as a tester, so if it turns out bad I'm only out about $35.

As for the PyE clone, it was the package from More Beer. I've done the extract version in the past and was impressed with it, the clone we made yesterday was really good (as wort), so I'm excited to hear about the final product.

I’ve never had hop water, it it sounds like it would be fun to make. How do you carbonate yours? I don’t have the ability to force carb, so I’m assuming I’ll be out of luck unless there is a way to bottle carb

There are a few companies that make hop water (I got hooked on the Lagunitas Hop Refresher), it's super simple and inexpensive. I used 4 oz of hops, 3 oz lemon juice to 10 gallons of water. My total bill for 10 gallons was less than $10, which equates to about $0.13 per 16oz glass.

I have a kegerator at home, so I can force carb in the keg. I'm not sure you would be able to bottle carb, as there isn't any sugars and yeast to create the Co2 to carb in a bottle. I guess you could keg, then transfer to bottles, but that would be a huge PIA.

There are a few companies that make hop water (I got hooked on the Lagunitas Hop Refresher), it's super simple and inexpensive. I used 4 oz of hops, 3 oz lemon juice to 10 gallons of water. My total bill for 10 gallons was less than $10, which equates to about $0.13 per 16oz glass.

I have a kegerator at home, so I can force carb in the keg. I'm not sure you would be able to bottle carb, as there isn't any sugars and yeast to create the Co2 to carb in a bottle. I guess you could keg, then transfer to bottles, but that would be a huge PIA.
So what you're saying, is Hayden needs a kegerator.

I wonder if I used a charging sugar like normal bottling. Maybe I’ll do a small scale to try it and see if it works or if it sucks lol.
So what you're saying, is Hayden needs a kegerator.
It’s definitely on the list!

I wonder if I used a charging sugar like normal bottling. Maybe I’ll do a small scale to try it and see if it works or if it sucks lol.

It’s definitely on the list!
You could put it in the garage right next to your smoking chair! Oh wait...