• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Homebrewing: Stepping it up...

souldog

OG Post-Whorer since 2008 bitches...
So I'm going to be stepping it up and getting away from extract brewing. I want to start getting into partial grain batches, then eventually into all-grain. The problem I am running into is finding a kettle that will do the job of handling a partial grain batch and is cost effective. I've run across a couple "economy" stainless steel or aluminum pots on Austin and Midland that are in my price range of $40-$50 USD, but all the reviews stress that the pots are cheap or will scorch the wort. Is this true? Do you really need a $115 dollar pot to brew partial-grain batches? Do you brew what you pay for in these pots?

Ultimately, I would like to find an affordable pot that I might even be able to use in all-grain batches down the road. Any recommendations?

Here's mine Jonathan Linky!

I've never had a problem with anything scorching on the bottom while using gas fire. I just always make sure I turn off the fire while adding any extract, and then stir it in well before turning it back on.

I got a turkey fryer set up on sale for $15. I know debates rage about whether you should use steel or aluminum. They say the aluminum causes alzeihemers but that has not affected me ;).

I brew all grain and it works perfectly well for that, plus it means I get to brew outside which makes the wifey much happier that I don't mess up the kitchen quite as badly.

I shall be outside brewing this weekend.

I got a turkey fryer set up on sale for $15. I know debates rage about whether you should use steel or aluminum. They say the aluminum causes alzeihemers but that has not affected me ;). That you can remember :laugh:

I've got an aluminum that I picked up at Wally World for making large scale gumbo. Works fine for what I do.

Are you doing 5 gallon batches? Are you getting a burner to use outside or are you going to try doing this inside?

I use an aluminum pot for my kettle and it works great. Aluminum or stainless is a personal choice. Don't let anyone tell you one or the other is better. They each have advantages and drawbacks.

There have got to be a million restaurant supply places out there in your area. Look there. You can also get pretty good heavy gauge aluminum pots from Sam's Club online and probably similar places if you don't have Sam's.

Keggles are awesome if you're going to that scale. You should have a pretty reasonable time finding LEGAL (decommissioned as Justin said) kegs out there to use at scrap yards or the like. Heck, even call a local distributor or something and see if they have some you can buy. Just don't be an ass and buy a keg of Nattie Ice and not return the keg. The deposit doesn't cover the actual price of the keg and you're screwing about 3 different people that way.

I'm going to be doing 5 gallon bactches inside Alan. I think I will check out the one John uses, as it seems his is doing fine. I should be able to do partial grain batches in that guy right? I've only ever done extract, but extract beers are all starting to taste the same to me. I can't describe it, but they all lack this depth of flavor I find in my favorite craft beers.

I do partial grain in it Jon. I just did a recipe that Justin helped me with. Used almost four pounds of grain to steep and sixteen pounds of extract. No problems with boil over using about three and a half gallons of water. Just had to keep my eye on it, just in case.

For a 5gal batch AG I wouldn't want to use anything less than an 8 gallon pot. I used to haev a 7.5 and doing 5 gallons in that was a bitch even with using fermcap. For the money keggle is the best way to go. If you don't mind spending the money blichman makes a damn fine product but it is expensive as hell.

Also a little off topic, but you might as well just skip partial mashes and go right to AG. They are the same amount of work as AG and if you mess it up and get a terrible efficiency and extraction then just have some DME on hand to make up for it.

edit- I just noticed you said you were doing it inside. Have you tried to boil 6.5+ gallons of water on your stove before? Most stoves can't handle that, just an FYI.

I used the pots from Walmart and the beers always came out to be perfect. Not a single problem with them. And I did a lot of Partial grain
recipes. Once I get moved down to Texas, I may start getting into All Grain. But we will see as I don't drink much any more. I still need to
brew my 3 gallon batch I've designed and will cost me $150 to $200 for the batch. The catch is it will be between 20% to 25% ABV. :love:

I have a costco turkey fryer.... It works fine, i have bigger pots too, but the costco one is fine for a 5G batch, I however got it used... search craigslist!

I'm going to be doing 5 gallon bactches inside Alan. I think I will check out the one John uses, as it seems his is doing fine. I should be able to do partial grain batches in that guy right? I've only ever done extract, but extract beers are all starting to taste the same to me. I can't describe it, but they all lack this depth of flavor I find in my favorite craft beers.

For a 5gal batch AG I wouldn't want to use anything less than an 8 gallon pot. I used to haev a 7.5 and doing 5 gallons in that was a bitch even with using fermcap. For the money keggle is the best way to go. If you don't mind spending the money blichman makes a damn fine product but it is expensive as hell.

Also a little off topic, but you might as well just skip partial mashes and go right to AG. They are the same amount of work as AG and if you mess it up and get a terrible efficiency and extraction then just have some DME on hand to make up for it.

edit- I just noticed you said you were doing it inside. Have you tried to boil 6.5+ gallons of water on your stove before? Most stoves can't handle that, just an FYI.
This. Most stoves will not really boil the volume you need to do a full boil for a 5 gallon batch. You can always do a partial boil, but some people think that doesn't produce as good a beer. I don't have any experience with that, so I don't know firsthand. I've spoken to a few people who have a lot of experience with that and they've never had a problem, though.

You can use software like Beersmith to calculate the top off volumes for partial boils. Regardless, Beersmith (or similar software) is a GREAT investment for homebrewing. Learn to do it all by hand if you want (I did), but use the software to make it easier and double check your work (I do). You can formulate recipes, do all of your calculations, and end up having a good idea of where your brew should be going. I've found it to be indispensable.

I do 3.5-4 gallon batches with my system and produce great beer. I know everyone is geared to 5 gallons, but if you don't mind brewing a little more often, you may consider smaller batches. You can always scale up to 5 gallons from a partial boil if you really want that volume.

Another huge recomendation for beersmith. Possibly the best $20 I ever spent on anything brewing related. It does so much beyond even just the calculations.

I was also going to say that there is nothing wrong with smaller sized batches. Most people frown upon it because it is just as much work as a 5 or 10 gallon batch but sometimes I prefer the smaller ones because it can take me a while to go through 5 gallons and I can only fit 1 keg in my kegerator.

Another huge recomendation for beersmith. Possibly the best $20 I ever spent on anything brewing related. It does so much beyond even just the calculations.

I was also going to say that there is nothing wrong with smaller sized batches. Most people frown upon it because it is just as much work as a 5 or 10 gallon batch but sometimes I prefer the smaller ones because it can take me a while to go through 5 gallons and I can only fit 1 keg in my kegerator.
thats just cuz ur a n00b!

beersmith is great, I do believe it has skyrocketed in price to 21.95$ now....

[quote name='Smokin'Sims' date='30 April 2010 - 09:18 AM' timestamp='1272633491' post='965934']
[quote name='peejers' date='30 April 2010 - 04:56 AM' timestamp='1272624993' post='965922']
I got a turkey fryer set up on sale for $15. I know debates rage about whether you should use steel or aluminum. They say the aluminum causes alzeihemers but that has not affected me ;). That you can remember :laugh:

[/quote]

I I was going to do a memory gag myself, but decided against it..

also +1 for beersmith definitely worth the money

Patience and routine searching of local Craigslist sales or local sales on the various Homebrewing forums can work wonders.

Local homebrewing clubs too. Guys outgrow and sell off or outright giveaway their unused equipment to like minded enthusiasts all the time. Not so different than with cigar enthusiasts.

Late to the party....

I use a fryer and aluminum pot, seems to work well for me...once you get that discoloration in the pot...leave it, at least that is what i was told....
Using the 6.5 gal turkey pot is a tight squeeze, but it can be done, just have to watch it....

I will be trying to upgrade to 8 gal SS pots soon, but right now, I am happy with my rig.

Of course if you have already made the switch, this is all useless information

t

Back