• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How Long Do You Let Them Rest?

pittesq

I received an order from overseas recently. I was told I should let them rest for a few weeks before diving in. :0 Three weeks seems like a long time. Is that the general rule of thumb?

Personal preference. Try one when you first get the box, then another one a week later and so on until you find the most optimal time to let them rest :thumbs:

It also depends on the humidity your vendor stores them at. If they store at 75% and your humidor is at 65% you will want to let them adjust to 65% when you get them (probably a week or two). Generally, I let "new additions" rest for 2 weeks before sampling. They have had a rough journey and deserve a little break before you put a torch to their ass and light them on fire. Seriously, how would you feel? ;)

:( Well when you put it that way.., makes sense. They definitely have thier humidity set higher than I do. I keep my humidor at 65% and in comparing the new bacth to the ones from a month or so ago, the older ones have definitely lost the extra moisture after a few weeks in the new environment.

I like to rest them for a minimum of 8 weeks as I prefer a very low RH (60%). If I don't want to wait and they're too wet, which is usually the case, I'll dry box one for a few days.

Fug it. Smoke one. I always smoke right out of the box when my shipment comes. The rest of the smokes rest in the humi for a while.

ree

ree ree robusto said:
Fug it. Smoke one. I always smoke right out of the box when my shipment comes. The rest of the smokes rest in the humi for a while.

ree
[snapback]206286[/snapback]​

My thoughts exactly! **** it! I'm with ree! :D

It depends on how much im craving that particular cigar. usually when they come in I wait a week or two before indulging myself. thats just me though, its all about how to mazimize the way you enjoy your cigar.

K&P

lucasbuck said:
I like to rest them for a minimum of 8 weeks as I prefer a very low RH (60%). If I don't want to wait and they're too wet, which is usually the case, I'll dry box one for a few days.
[snapback]206279[/snapback]​

I'm with the sheriff on this one. I prefer a low humdity, maybe not 60% but low nonetheless. I will usually smoke one right away though. Either that day or the next. Most of the time I have to dry box it to do that.

Many people are now saying 30 days is the minimum for rest. However, I am lucky if I can keep my hands off of them for 10 days.

I just got a cab of Hoyo Epi 1's in this morning. I grabbed one and smoked it. It was an 03 and it was pretty good. I smoked it to the nub and only then did it show it's youth. I then put them away in the cabinet and will check them out again in another 2 years or so.

There's no good answer to this question.

Generally, I wait about a week for the cigars to stabilize before I smoke one. If the first one is exceptional, I may have another one the next day to confirm it's a good batch (and then proceed to reorder more from the same vendor/same box code.)

If the cigar is average (after a week)...I usually set them down for another 4-6 weeks before I'll have another from the same box.

There are some cigars that I buy specifically for aging and just stick them in the humidor and forget that I have them.

Aprox one week in the Humi before I sample the 1st cigar(and it took me quite a while to muster that much will power...) Initially, I would always try a stick the day it arrived --- now I'm happier waiting a week or so.

im not a daily smoker and i am lucky if i have the time to unwrap and throw them in the humi....
i order multiple boxes at once and i try to let them rest for 6 months or so...i know its a long time but..i am always able to grab something thats been sitting in my humi for years...so why rush things..this of course doesnt include new releases, those i must break out in a week at most...just gotta try one.

depends on what they're like when they get here. usually 1-2 weeks, sometimes 1-2 hours .... all relative.

feel one or two up, see how they are

Well, since this topic was dug out, I'll reply too. I have come to the conclusion that letting them rest for a couple weeks, or even a month, will balance them out somehow. At least it shouldn't hurt them, so if you have the patience, let them rest a while ;)

The Prince said:
Many people are now saying 30 days is the minimum for rest. However, I am lucky if I can keep my hands off of them for 10 days.
[snapback]217748[/snapback]​
...you can wait a whole ten days...??... :p

I usually blaze one up right out of the box, throw two or three in the "smoking" humi, and put the rest in the cooler. I try to let the humi gars sit a month before I smoke 'em; the cooler gars get to rest a couple of months or better, depending on how good they are.... :laugh:

Cheers - B.B.S.

BlindedByScience said:
The Prince said:
Many people are now saying 30 days is the minimum for rest.  However, I am lucky if I can keep my hands off of them for 10 days.
[snapback]217748[/snapback]​
...you can wait a whole ten days...??... :p

I usually blaze one up right out of the box, throw two or three in the "smoking" humi, and put the rest in the cooler. I try to let the humi gars sit a month before I smoke 'em; the cooler gars get to rest a couple of months or better, depending on how good they are.... :laugh:

Cheers - B.B.S.
[snapback]226597[/snapback]​
my kind of guy!