• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How would you respond?

Guys, my Padron loose draw reference was me pointing out that a loose draw isn't the issue here, as Greg said it's the initial response to his first letter. I love Padron 26's, and yes the draw is much more easy on them than other cigars, but the consistency of that easy draw from batch to batch, box to box, would only say that it is intended. The draw isn't the issue, they smoke just fine.

The same, however, cannot be said for Greg's La Riqueza. I also find it hard to believe that that crap would be inside that cigar. I think Pete has a roller or two that is slacking off and doing some poor work. I expect the best quality from Pepin's factory, and this is not up to par, not at all. Something is amiss here, but seeing as Pete has come back to these boards to try to make it right, instead of lighting the torches and grabbing the pitchforks, let's give him a chance. I'd rather we came to help him than to run him off again, after all quite a few people here, myself included, enjoy his cigars. Yes there have been some issues recently with some of his cigars and such, but as Greg said let's hold off on the Tat Bon fire.

Pete, I realize that it can be frustrating to admit that your product has a problem, but it isn't a big deal man. Any company that turns out a product, especially hand made ones, will have instances where the product is messed up. Hell, look at the recent recall of all the Johnson & Johnson medicines. If you can just bring yourself to take a step back, look at the problem from the consumers standpoint and say to yourself, "You know, I pride myself on making some of the best damn cigars in the industry, and this just doesn't look right. Something is screwy here.", and then do your best to find out what happened, that will only further promote your business in a positive light.

I understand you had a rocky start on these boards before, but that is water under the bridge. That shouldn't make you want to write us off, if anything you should want to change that perception. Surprise us man.

Guys, my Padron loose draw reference was me pointing out that a loose draw isn't the issue here, as Greg said it's the initial response to his first letter. I love Padron 26's, and yes the draw is much more easy on them than other cigars, but the consistency of that easy draw from batch to batch, box to box, would only say that it is intended. The draw isn't the issue, they smoke just fine.

The same, however, cannot be said for Greg's La Riqueza. I also find it hard to believe that that crap would be inside that cigar. I think Pete has a roller or two that is slacking off and doing some poor work. I expect the best quality from Pepin's factory, and this is not up to par, not at all. Something is amiss here, but seeing as Pete has come back to these boards to try to make it right, instead of lighting the torches and grabbing the pitchforks, let's give him a chance. I'd rather we came to help him than to run him off again, after all quite a few people here, myself included, enjoy his cigars. Yes there have been some issues recently with some of his cigars and such, but as Greg said let's hold off on the Tat Bon fire.

Pete, I realize that it can be frustrating to admit that your product has a problem, but it isn't a big deal man. Any company that turns out a product, especially hand made ones, will have instances where the product is messed up. Hell, look at the recent recall of all the Johnson & Johnson medicines. If you can just bring yourself to take a step back, look at the problem from the consumers standpoint and say to yourself, "You know, I pride myself on making some of the best damn cigars in the industry, and this just doesn't look right. Something is screwy here.", and then do your best to find out what happened, that will only further promote your business in a positive light.

I understand you had a rocky start on these boards before, but that is water under the bridge. That shouldn't make you want to write us off, if anything you should want to change that perception. Surprise us man.

CRQuarto,

I agree with a lot of what you say. Every company with hand made products has occasional issues to overcome and I have had more than a few in the last year. I have always been straight with people and even go as far as admitting to potential issues like the Drac. I have every intention of making a great cigar every time and do get very disappointed when I find the rare bad one in the bunch myself. I am always looking for ways to make thing better but the factories I work with are not mine and I always have to defer to the people who own them. I can tell everyone, that i do not make short fill cigars and label them as long fill. I pay for long fill cigars and from what I have seen, they are all exactly that. I would be extremely disappointed if I were paying what i pay for cigars to get short fill but i doubt that is happening.

Was there or is there a bad roller in the factory? I don't know but i hope not. I am only down in Nicaragua 14 times(56 days) a year to look at production and quality and to work on new things. I watch how Pepin and Jaime's quality control is top notch but maybe things slip through. The Garcias deserve a lot of praise for what they do and the knowledge they bring to the business. The tobacco is natural and top quality and I wish everyone could see their talented work first hand. I think the cigars we make together are great but i have never touted that they are the best. They are only the best for me. I need to enjoy them before anyone else. Anyone else liking them comes as a bonus for me and my company......People liking them gives me the opportunity to do something I love and respect. i have a great deal of respect for all the people that put me in this position and hope they know i am trying my best to bring them great products for them to enjoy.

I don't advocate bullshit in our industry and could call out half of the industry for lying to the consumers. If you ever catch me drunk start asking me questions. Unfortunately, i might tell you some things you don't want to hear about your favorites brands. I will never tell you that all our cigars are perfect but we find that it is a rare occasion when they are not.......

Thanks again for the above comments CRQuarto. Sorry for going on a rant but your great words were the perfect opening.

Peace,
Pete

Update - Received a full refund on the Petit Robustos and a very nice package of goodies today from Pete. Very cool...think I'll end the day with a Tatuaje Noella Reserva. :)

Update - Received a full refund on the Petit Robustos and a very nice package of goodies today from Pete. Very cool...think I'll end the day with a Tatuaje Noella Reserva. :)
Nice!! Glad to see it all worked out for you Greg and nice gesture Pete.

Glad it worked out for you, Greg. Think we'll get an update once Pete gets the cigars back as to what the problem with them was?

Noella Reserva, very nice! I'm glad that the issue was taken care of.

The group-buy we did for the La Riqueza No. 3 came in the day before yesterday (all shipped out by the way, check your PMs for the DC#s!). I smoked a couple last night while hosting a poker game. I tested the draw on the first, and it was quite loose (like the empty straw reference). But, upon lighting, the amount of smoke was substantial. A bit bitter at first, but it developed into a very nice cigar. Plenty of smoke and an even burn, no touch ups required. Very well constructed, so I guess the loose draw must be intended?

The second La Riqueza No. 3 I had last night was very bland. It really didn't taste like anything, and halfway through the cigar I couldn't figure out why I was still smoking it. No flavor to the smoke at all. I could have been drawing on an unlit cigar and wouldn't have known the difference. I put it out just after halfway through because I don't smoke out of habit, I smoke for the experience. The cigar wasn't giving me anything. I have a few left in the humidor, so I'll let them sit for a while before trying them again.

Noella Reserva, very nice! I'm glad that the issue was taken care of.

The group-buy we did for the La Riqueza No. 3 came in the day before yesterday (all shipped out by the way, check your PMs for the DC#s!). I smoked a couple last night while hosting a poker game. I tested the draw on the first, and it was quite loose (like the empty straw reference). But, upon lighting, the amount of smoke was substantial. A bit bitter at first, but it developed into a very nice cigar. Plenty of smoke and an even burn, no touch ups required. Very well constructed, so I guess the loose draw must be intended?

The second La Riqueza No. 3 I had last night was very bland. It really didn't taste like anything, and halfway through the cigar I couldn't figure out why I was still smoking it. No flavor to the smoke at all. I could have been drawing on an unlit cigar and wouldn't have known the difference. I put it out just after halfway through because I don't smoke out of habit, I smoke for the experience. The cigar wasn't giving me anything. I have a few left in the humidor, so I'll let them sit for a while before trying them again.

What's the chance that you dissected the one you didn't smoke all the way?

I retrieved it from the trash and did a little surgery. All long filler, solid construction. It was just a tasteless dud.

It happens, the last couple Ashton VSG's I smoked were like that, same with the Shark I had last night. :( Always a bummer when it's something nice.

I retrieved it from the trash and did a little surgery. All long filler, solid construction. It was just a tasteless dud.

I have had issues in the past, due mostly to my noobness, because I have not allowed sticks to rest long enough after shipping. Sticks that have turned out to be great, when smoked within a couple days of shipping I thought were bland and crappy. IMO let your shipped sticks rest for at least a couple weeks to let the RH stabilize.

PJ

Okay, I got the cigars back today and opened a few. The draw seemed pretty normal on all. One of the cigars that I opened had some small bits of tobacco in it but was not the signs of when they bunch a mix fill cigar. This was more like when tobacco crystalizes and breaks upon bunching. I will be bringing the rest of the box to Nicaragua next week for Jaime and his team to inspect the remaining cigars.

Pete

Thanks for the update Pete, appreciate you keeping us informed. By the way...I smoked a La Riqueza No. 2 in the round this past weekend. Outstanding cigar.

Okay guys. Quick update. I'm down in Nicaragua watching the bunching process closely and it seems from what I'm seeing, the filler that is breaking is happening during the bunching. Jaime explained that the filler in the factory goes into the cigar always at a certain humidity that is different than the binder and much different than the wrapper. I won't go into percent details as this might be something of a trade secret but for sure something they have been doing all their lives here and in Cuba. I know that they had to stop production a few weeks ago because the heavy rains in Esteli were making the filler too humid to put into the cigar and they needed time for the filler to dry to the perfect humidity.

I won't say this happens in every cigar but witnessed it many times from a roller with heavy hands.

I will continue to update you guys with anything else I see that would explain what could have happened to the cigar in this thread.

Thanks

Thanks for the update Pete, but this does not look like "heavy handed" bunching.

I agree but you would really have to visit the factory to understand how that could happen. We have opened 15 of the cigars from the same box so far and have found breakage from bunching but no signs of a roller using short filler.