• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidification Beads: FAQs

thanks viper, you explained every question i had ever dreamed of about beads and some i didnt.
Bryan

Strayvector said:
Cheeze said:
If I use nylon like Panty Hose to hold the beads, will it hurt the cigars if the nylon is touching the cigars? ???
[snapback]174750[/snapback]​
Any thoughts on this Viper? Also, if you lay the nylon directly onto the cedar trays, will the cedar absorb the moisture where it touches the nylon?
[snapback]282574[/snapback]​

I know some folks lay them directly on the cedar and have no problems. The beads will still only release the amount of moisture to achieve 65% or 70% (depends on which beads). They do not make things wet, unless you over hydrate them. Add only enough distilled water to hydrate 65-70% of the beads.

Just wanted to let everyone know I have added a few items.

I now have a large aluminum humidifier that contains a little over 4 ounce of beads (twice as much as the thin aluminum) so it works well in larger desktop humis.

I also carry the new Humidi-Puck (round humidifier) that has been discussed here.

Viper,

Whats the best way to charge the beads, if you have them in the nylon drawstring baggies (which you sell)?

Thanks

Viper,

Whats the best way to charge the beads, if you have them in the nylon drawstring baggies (which you sell)?

Thanks

A number of ways:

Place the bag on a dish or something you don't mind getting wet then;
spray the bag with a spray bottle filled with distilled water,
slowly pour distilled water on the bag,
or pour the distilled water on the dish and let the beads absorb the water.

Do any of the above until about 75% of the beads are clear, swab off the bag with a clean paper towell to dry the bag off and put the bag back in your humi to do its job.

Rod, this really should be pinned under the coolerdor 101 thread. JMHO

If I use nylon like Panty Hose to hold the beads, will it hurt the cigars if the nylon is touching the cigars? ???

Viper, I just checked all my wife's pantyhose and they're all crotchless...won't the beads just fall out through the opening? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, it looks like you just shipped my order. I'll let you know when I get my humidor dialed in. Thanks for the quick shipping! :D

Cheers,
JC

Yep, they are on their way. I am not even going to give you advice on your panty hose sitaution. LOL

WAiting for the right time to purchase a pound, i think very soon is the time to switch over.

Just ordered a 1/2 pound and nylon bag today. Thanks for all the advice and step by step instructions!

Just ordered a 1/2 pound and nylon bag today. Thanks for all the advice and step by step instructions!

I also use the beads in my cabidor. I got these little sachet bags that they sell in the craft stores, usually filling them with rice to throw at weddings. I doled out about 1/8 cup of beads each and spread them around the cabinet. It works great.

Incase anyone was wondering Vipers beads handle flavored and aromatic smokes greatly. A buddy of mine is an acid whore. Well finding a humidity setup for them is a pain to say the least but we went with a jar design and used viper’s beads. A year+ now and never had a problem.

Incase anyone was wondering Vipers beads handle flavored and aromatic smokes greatly. A buddy of mine is an acid whore. Well finding a humidity setup for them is a pain to say the least but we went with a jar design and used viper’s beads. A year+ now and never had a problem.

Good to know, thanks :thumbs:

Out of curiousity....

I purchased a pound bag of beads about a month and a half ago and they've been great. As I had a situation with two humidors that had gone dry on me, and one that I discovered had a terrible seal, they've been a godsend for getting my cigars back up to speed in a timely and efficient manner.

Alot of times I've just taken the existing humidification device and outfitted it with mesh over the existing vents to prevent the beads from falling out. This has worked out pretty well all in all and allowed me to not have to change any of the existing hardware in my good humi as well as outfit my new one that replaced the leaky one.

One thing I have tried doing, and I think I'm seeing it work in theory, is keeping a second humidifier with beads in it in the device but never putting water into it. The logic behind this is that it leaves me more space to absorb if the humidity spikes as well as the ability to take the other humidifier and just fill it with distilled water.

This seems to be working pretty well so far, but I'd be interested to hear of others have tried this and if I'm setting myself up for a failure or disaster eventually.

Major props to viper for the beads. I used all of about 1/3 of the bag and handed the remainder off to a buddy of mine who claims them to be perhaps the greatest invention known to mankind.

Viper,

Got the beads.........I love the brainless aspect of it! These work great! :thumbs: Got them in the cooler and the desk top now.

My coolerdor has been at a steady 67-68% RH since I bought the beads. At least 4 months so far of steady worry free goodness. No doubt these have been worth ever penny!

When I have a bad day for some reason I just come in here and you guys make me feel that it's worth it. Thanks