• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidification Beads: FAQs

before i had been using the 50/50 solution to keep my desktop humidor at the proper humidity, but it just really didn't stay all that steady. Well i bought a tube of the beads and it works great. right at 65%.

I have updated the first post. It reflects the things that I have discovered as folks use the beads.

Viper
i bought a pound of your 65 rh beads and two satchels i spit the beads up to fill the two bags. I then added water by dipping the botom of the bag to hydrate 75% of the bag. My problem is i can not get my rh to drop below 70% in both my 50 quart coolerdor or my small desk top humi. Can you advise me on this. I thought for a min that i may have added to much water so i tryed to dry the beads out a little for a day. Help a little but later returned to 70 to 75%rh. What gives?

Joe

Viper
i bought a pound of your 65 rh beads and two satchels i spit the beads up to fill the two bags. I then added water by dipping the botom of the bag to hydrate 75% of the bag. My problem is i can not get my rh to drop below 70% in both my 50 quart coolerdor or my small desk top humi. Can you advise me on this. I thought for a min that i may have added to much water so i tryed to dry the beads out a little for a day. Help a little but later returned to 70 to 75%rh. What gives?

Joe

Have you tried to calibrate your measuring device recently? There's a good chance that you're just off by 5%, which is not unheard of.

Sounds like the perfect solution - easy and low maintenance. I'll be on your website shortly. Thanks.

Paul

Viper

Joe

Have you been able to check your hygrometer? Let me know what you find.

David

Just got my beads today 1/2 lb and cant wait to get them up and running, I think i should have gotten 1 full pound but we'll see. :D

I purchased some beads a couple weeks ago for my small humidor that I've had nothing but problems maintaining proper humidity. The beads have stabilized it and are dead on 65%. Thanks for a great product Viper!!

Question. What is the accuracy of the beads, say the 65% ones. What I'm saying is, "they're accurate to +/-" what? Reason I ask is, if they're spot on, can you calibrate a hygrometer with them? I mean, if you have a decent amount in a bag, with your hygrometer overnight, would that basically be the same as a salt test?

Wade

Question. What is the accuracy of the beads, say the 65% ones. What I'm saying is, "they're accurate to +/-" what? Reason I ask is, if they're spot on, can you calibrate a hygrometer with them? I mean, if you have a decent amount in a bag, with your hygrometer overnight, would that basically be the same as a salt test?

Wade

The manufacturer states +-2%. My experience is the beads will hold within +-1% when there are no outside influences. What this means is in an airtight container with no other contents. I have used the beads to calibrate hygrometers and have had good results.

Should this be a sticky worthy thread?
Hell yes. Why anyone would use anything else is beyond me!

Wade

The manufacturer states +-2%. My experience is the beads will hold within +-1% when there are no outside influences. What this means is in an airtight container with no other contents. I have used the beads to calibrate hygrometers and have had good results.
EXACTLY the answer I was hoping for. When doing this Viper, I'd assume it's better to err on the side of having more beads than necessary for the test.

Hey Viper, if I have 65 beads and mix them with 70 beads, would this give me around about 67?

Hey Viper, if I have 65 beads and mix them with 70 beads, would this give me around about 67?

Sorry but no. What you will get is the rh at 70% until those beads are empty of moisture then the rh will drop to 65% until those are empty of moisture.

Should this be a sticky worthy thread?
Hell yes. Why anyone would use anything else is beyond me!

IMO, information about beads would make a great sticky but posting this thread as a sticky would not. No offense to Viper as his customer service speaks for itself and he does a great job of catering to the community, but, he's a vendor, and, not the only vendor of this product.

Please don't take this wrong as it has nothing to do with anything personal against any vendor. I feel if we're going to sticky something it should be information about the product only and then locked so that others don't thread crap it to where it reads like an AD for one vendor over another. JMHO

A big thank you all the way from down under.
Cheers i will buy some.

I was wondering about beads falling apart in my humi. I bought the 60% tube the smallest one and seems like the beads are breaking apart because everytime i move it to get to a cigar i hear more and more particles dropping and i've shaken out what i thought all of the pieces twice before... just wondering if i messed something up or if they're drying out too fast or something.

I was wondering about beads falling apart in my humi. I bought the 60% tube the smallest one and seems like the beads are breaking apart because everytime i move it to get to a cigar i hear more and more particles dropping and i've shaken out what i thought all of the pieces twice before... just wondering if i messed something up or if they're drying out too fast or something.

If you dip your beads in water (like I do), they will sometimes fracture. It doesn't diminsh them at all. They should not be fracturing because of ordinary handling.