• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidification Beads: FAQs

Viper,

Thank you for your post. One quick question... Do you recommend using a "purified" bottled water, such as Dasani, to hydrate the beads? Or are there still too many minerals to clog them up?

Finzup said:
Viper,

Thank you for your post. One quick question... Do you recommend using a "purified" bottled water, such as Dasani, to hydrate the beads? Or are there still too many minerals to clog them up?
[snapback]174169[/snapback]​

Most bottled waters have too much minerals in them. Ultimately the minerals will ruin the beads. I recommend either Distilled Water or water from a reverse osmosis dispenser.

If I use nylon like Panty Hose to hold the beads, will it hurt the cigars if the nylon is touching the cigars? ???

I always wondered why some beads were clear and some were white. Thanks for the info! :thumbs:

Good info I almost posted a question that you answered, thanks for not making me look like a super newbie.
:cool:

This should definately be a sticky message. This answers several questions I had as I contemplated the creation of a coolidor.

psyktek said:
I always wondered why some beads were clear and some were white. Thanks for the info! :thumbs:
[snapback]174809[/snapback]​

No such thing as a "stupid" newbie, just a uninformed one.

Thanks for topping this Viper! I just ordered my first pound of beads last week and look forward to using them. Unfortunately, they were confiscated the second they came in, and I won't see them till Christmas. :angry:

You have made another convert here Viper. New Years resolution of making a cooler-dor/tupper-dor combined with changing my current PIA humidification system just gained you another customer. Thanks for the great FAQ post. This should be really made into a sticky post for all those bead "virgins" just like I used to be :D

Just got my beads for my new humidor.

I've already determined that they're pretty much the best thing since sliced bread - I can't recommend them highly enough....I don't have look in my humidor every day wondering.....what a nice relief.

Great product Viper.

I am using the foam oasis humidifiers with the 50/50 mix in my humidor. I've been wanting to order the beads for a while, but have a question first. Once I take out the humidifiers that have the 50/50 mix and replace them with the beads, will the beads get damaged from the 50/50 mix or will I have to let the humidor air out before installing the beads?

Thanks for the post Viper. I just ordered beads from you 2 days ago and I got my email confirming everything. If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have my 50 qt cooler sitting in the other room waiting for the beads. These beads are really no-brainers.

Jason

MichiganM said:
Thanks for the post Viper. I just ordered beads from you 2 days ago and I got my email confirming everything. If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have my 50 qt cooler sitting in the other room waiting for the beads. These beads are really no-brainers.

Jason
[snapback]274704[/snapback]​

I just ordered more beads too. It's nice to be able to have enough beads on hand just in case. :)

MichiganM said:

Jason
[snapback]274704[/snapback]​
viper is top notch, and his products are of the upmost quality.

cruc said:
I am using the foam oasis humidifiers with the 50/50 mix in my humidor. I've been wanting to order the beads for a while, but have a question first. Once I take out the humidifiers that have the 50/50 mix and replace them with the beads, will the beads get damaged from the 50/50 mix or will I have to let the humidor air out before installing the beads?
[snapback]274594[/snapback]​

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Unless you have actually spilled the 50/50 mix in the humidor the propelyne glycol should be in the humidifier. The only this that offgases in the 50/50 mix is the water portion, the PG stays put. So long answer short, no need to air it out.

luv those beads I think they are great keeping my humi's stabil for a month now. Thanks Viper

cruc said:
[snapback]274594[/snapback]​

Unless you have actually spilled the 50/50 mix in the humidor the propelyne glycol should be in the humidifier. The only thing that offgases in the 50/50 mix is the water portion, the PG stays put. So long answer short, no need to air it out.

Cheeze said:
If I use nylon like Panty Hose to hold the beads, will it hurt the cigars if the nylon is touching the cigars? ???
[snapback]174750[/snapback]​
Any thoughts on this Viper? Also, if you lay the nylon directly onto the cedar trays, will the cedar absorb the moisture where it touches the nylon?