• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Inaugural CigarPass Cigar Draft 2006

Ginseng

Banned
You asked for it and so here it comes. Welcome to the Inaugural CigarPass Cigar Draft 2006. Since this has never been tried on this forum, I thought it might be helpful to provide a little information about this fun and exciting cigar swapping concept. What I've learned was culled from examples of successful drafts on two other online cigar BBS's. The original links can be found:
Here, here, here, here, and here.
My gratitude goes out to the Draftmasters who have set the standard for cigar drafts everywhere.

This is a long post but it distills everything I've read. If you're thinking of participating, please take the time to read it.

What is a cigar draft?
A cigar draft is basically an unrestricted pass where the cigars do not travel. It is unrestricted in the sense that while there is a cigar value range that is established up front and agreed upon by all, there is no "value for value" rule in force when making picks. There is also no "CC for CC/NC for NC" rule. The only certainty is that you will get out the same number of sticks out that you put in.

A draft is also different from a traditional pass in that everyone gets to see upfront, every cigar that is in play. This makes it exciting since you can strategize and prioritize your picks but once play gets underway, things change and you have all the other participants jockeying for sticks that they want too.

How are "PUTs" managed?
The participants will agree on two things:
1. the value range of the cigars to be contributed by the players

2. the number of cigars to be contributed per player

Once this is done, then all participants will post their contributions for review and approval by the other players. They will then send these cigars to the "banker" or draftmaster to verify and hold in trust until the draft is completed and picks are finalized for distribution to the players. The draftmaster will post and update the cigar list for the duration of the draft.

How are "TAKEs" managed?
In a draft, PICKS are the analog to TAKEs in a traditional traveling or virtual pass. The two main aspects of setting up picks are as follows:
1. Each participant is randomly assigned a player number.
If there are 4 players, then your number could range from 1 to 4.

2. The pick order is typically set up as "serpentine" or "up/down" and you pick a cigar when your number comes up in the draft order.
In a four player draft with a five stick buy-in, the order would be 12344321123443211234. So if you were player #2, you would make your picks in slots 2, 7, 10, 15, and 18 out of the total of 20 slots (number of players X number of sticks) in the draft.

What are the critical dates and milestones?
1. the date by which all participants are selected and rules are agreed upon: This is the "pregame" deadline. Players will be given their numbers shortly after this date.

2. the date by which all cigars must be received by the draftmaster: This is the "ready" deadline. If a player's sticks are not received by this date, that player will be dropped from the pass and new player numbers will be assigned.

3. the date and time for the start of picks: this is the Kickoff!

Once the pass is underway, players are expected to get online and make their picks in an expeditious manner. I think a few hours is more than enough of a window with picks happening more rapidly during the day and slowing down or stopping in the overnight hours. In most cases, the actual draft picking takes about a week depending on number of sticks and participants.

What do I do if I know my slot is coming up but I cannot be online to make my picks?
In this case, you can post that this is the situation and include your first, second, and third choices to be selected for you by the draftmaster based on availability.

What happens if I don't do the above and hold the pass up for more than a couple of hours (excluding the overnight hours)?
In this case, this particular pick slot of yours will be moved to the end of the line.

That's it! I wanted to be comprehensive in spelling out the particulars of a draft because it is something many folks (including myself) may not be familiar with. If and when another Cigar Draft happens, I imagine we could skip right to the next step...specific proposals for the Draft under consideration.

Inaugural CigarPass Cigar Draft 2006 proposed guidelines

1. Who gets to play?
Any member of CigarPass who posts interest in this thread. Preference is given to those who have already posted in the original interest thread here.

2. How many participants will there be?
I'm thinking 10-12. Since there are some very new members who expressed interest, I was thinking of holding out 3-4 slots for them with the remaining 7-8 offered to more established members (better than a couple of months here and a reasonable posting history).

3. How many sticks will you need to put up?
If we go with the number of participants above, I'm thinking no more than 5 sticks per player.

4. What will be the acceptable range of stick value based on MSRP?
I'll toss out a target of $5-$10 for starters. Give or take a bit. Going higher is not necessary but at your discretion. Going a bit lower is ok as I regularly enjoy several $2.50-$3.00 cigars. Just no rockets and no flavored smokes.

5. What will be the critical dates?
a. Pregame selection of participants: Tuesday, November 21
allowing some time for Thanksgiving, correction of unacceptable sticks, shipping, etc.
b. Ready deadline to have all sticks to me + $4.55 for outbound shipping after the draft: Tuesday, December 5
c. Kickoff: Wednesday, December 6, 5:00PM

6. Who will randomly assign the player numbers?
I am thinking that I'd ask Rod to draw names out of a hat for us.

7. What ideas could we try to spice things up?
Two ideas offered by CasaSoho that I like are bonus sticks to:
a. player whose stick is first overall draft pick
b. player whose sticks are all drafted before anyone else

In addition, I was also thinking about offering one or two randomly placed "Let's Make a Deal" opportunities. That is, if you happen to slot at one of the magic numbers (I choose randomly before the player numbers are assigned and then submitted to Rod to verify that they are not changed after the fact) you get to deal with the draftmaster. You will be offered the opportunity to trade me what you have picked for what's in the mystery box.

Note: CasaSoho's ideas would mean that if you want to play these "extras" you'd have to put in an extra stick for the pot. For my make a deal idea, the sticks would come from my personal stash.

Any other ideas? Keep in mind that these "extras" need to be funded by in some way.

There is one final, important issue to lay out for you guys. As the banker, I could find myself holding from 50-60 cigars belonging to the participants. One question you need to ask yourself is whether or not you trust me to do this. It's true that I've got a year here and a boatload of posts but you have to feel comfortable with having me as the banker. If you have any concerns, air them here or to me in private. I think the draft will be a lot of fun and if I don't run it, then someone else capable will step up.

Best,
Wilkey

Update - Please Read 11/19 12:40PM

Response to the Cigar Draft has been very strong. So far, we have about triple the projected participants.

From the Original Thread: 6 newbies and 18 non-newbie interest
From this thread: 4 newbies and 6 non-newbie interest
Total: 10 newbs, 24 non-newbs

So basically we have enough for three full drafts. I cannot run three drafts.

However, I can offer the following option. Maintaining the running cigar inventory and keeping an eye on picks to make sure it all progresses smoothly seems to be a very time intensive part of the draft. We could have a second draft run concurrently if someone wants to volunteer and be responsible for updating the stick list in a post on the main thread. I would still receive, store, and ship the cigars for both drafts.

So, in this case, we'd have Draft A and Draft B, both with 12 participants.

There is one more issue to put on the table. AVB and I have done an analysis of different pick order schemes and have come up with the following findings.

1. If there are an ODD number of cigars per participant, then the lower your participant number, a slightly better overall pick average you will have. This translates to a slight advantage.

2. If there is an EVEN number of cigars per participant, then all participants will have the same overall pick average. The playing field is even.

The upshot is this. Do you guys want a a draft that provides some advantage to low player numbers. Take the chance that you get a low number and the slight advantage it confers. For this, we can use an ODD number of cigars like 5 per.
OR
Do you want a totally egalitarian game where the only advantage to player number is in the very first cycle of picks? For this, we need to use an EVEN number of cigars like 6 per.

Of course, the final totally fair option is to use a random number generator to come up with a shuffled pick order that favors no one AND allows for ODD or EVEN numbers of cigars per.

Please let me know what you think.

On Burnt Tongue's idea of different classes of cigar values, I think we need to pass on this additional complication. Providing a range with discretion will allow some measure of flexibility without making it a rigid requirement.

Update - Please Read 11/19 10:26 PM

Here are the two proposed lineups based on order of interest and slightly interwoven to balance the two drafts. Total participants are capped at 12 + 12. This will also be posted in the opening thread.

Alpha Draft
Ginseng - Draftmaster and Alpha Draft administrator
denverdog
marcsheldon
Burnt Tongue
davidr2340
slcraiders
BkCloud114
Jeff1101
Bchem
Satchmo
Boogs34
Krautle87

Bravo Draft
CgarDan - Bravo Draft administrator
CasaSoho
Mr Wolf
The Volusianator
JHawk
Fatken
insight
tkoepp
Blue Dragon
mmburtch
WOXOF
fenian'98

On Deck in case of Dropouts
MarkTwain
bilder
bigvinnysd
brickhouse
wasy
roudou
wanlail
Seanohue

Count me in, Wilkey! Thanks for setting this up. :thumbs:

You might want to have each player send enough $$ with his draft cigars to have his package sent to him Priority with a DC#...That way Wilkey won't go broke sending em out. :D

You guys have fun with this. :thumbs: I've been in a few and really had fun.

This sounds like a lot of fun, and I would love to play if you have room for me. If not, then I will still have fun watching and cheering from the sidelines!! :D Thanks for getting things running Wilkey!

Brandon

I'm in for sure and think Wilkey is a great choice for the banker

You might want to have each player send enough $$ with his draft cigars to have his package sent to him Priority with a DC#...That way Wilkey won't go broke sending em out. :D

You guys have fun with this. :thumbs: I've been in a few and really had fun.

I'm in..... and like the Sarge said..... remember to include enough money to cover Wilkey having to send each package out Priority with a DC#....

I'm in!! And as for you being the banker, that's cool with me(plus I know where you live :laugh: )

Maybe too late, but if there's a slot left, I'd love to take part.

If there's room, I'd like to play.

Edited to say:

...but you have to feel comfortable with having me as the banker.

No doubts whatsoever.

I may be late as well but I'd love to be involved in this. It's got to be better than any fantasy drafts I've had this year.

1. Who gets to play?
Any member of CigarPass who posts interest in this thread. Preference is given to those who have already posted in the original interest thread here.

2. How many participants will there be?
I'm thinking 10-12. Since there are some very new members who expressed interest, I was thinking of holding out 3-4 slots for them with the remaining 7-8 offered to more established members (better than a couple of months here and a reasonable posting history).

I'd like to participate but I don't want to bump anyone out of the game because of the above rules. If there's no room I'll get in on the next one.