• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Insider wine recommendations

NorCalCigarLover

The Wine Guy
If you like wine, and are willing to spend some coin on the best, here are some insider recommendations.

Edited to include:
I suppose I should have qualified "insider" in my original post. My Fiance and I are very much into the wine scene without being "in" the wine business. We do have a few friends in the wine business (growers, producers, makers), attend and hold tastings regularly, visit a lot of wineries, and generally keep up to date on much of the California wine scene. So, being as involved as we are we come across some deals, or recommendations, that are just to good to keep to ourselves and we like to share them with friends. These "insider" recs are for wineries, or wines, that the general public may not hear about until ........ well, until either it is no longer available or offered through secondary options at a huge markup.

Hopefully some of you will find these recommendations useful. If you need a special wine for a special occasion, enjoy awesome wines, or just want to really impress someone with your knowledge of premium, sometimes up and coming, oftain small lot CA wines these are for you.

Brian Loring, of Loring Wine Company, makes some of the best California Pinots. Brians wines are highly sought after so you'll have to get on his mailing list in order to get first crack when he releases his wines. You can try finding them retail, or in restaurants, but for the best selection at the best price you'll need to signup for the mailing list. I am in no way affiliated with LWC but tell Brian that David Sanchez sent you and he may treat you better :laugh:

Tonight, I paired an OpusX with the 2003 LWC Llama Pinot Noir. The OpusX overpowered the Llama at first but after an hour of decanting the Llama was a nice match.

:cool:

These guys, Michael David Vineyards out of Lodi CA, are by no means a secret but they are shaking up the place with their Earthquake line of wines. Their 2003 Earthquake Petite Syrah just recently won GOLD-BEST OF CLASS at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine competion and will sell out soon, I picked up a couple of bottles last weekend at the winery. This is a huge red wine that will stain your stems and teeth so if your into a lighter style of wine this isn't for you.

Also checkout the 2003 Earthquake Zinfandel, I tasted this one at ZAP a couple of weeks ago and it was stellar! I'm adding more of this to my cellar as well.

I posted this in another thread earlier but I opened a Eno wine again last weekend and was just blown away. Great price point, fantastic big DCV (Dry Creek Valley)Zinfandel! My six arrived last weekend :p

Here is another great cigar wine from a small winery not to many people know about out here in CA., 2002 Eno Teldeschi Vinyard DCV Zinfandel. This wine was tasted from barrel samples that Sasha provided us for a tasting party we recently held in our home. A fine example of an old vine DCV Zin! great fruit, big Zin, perfect with a cigar.

The Eno 2002 release letter is coming out at the end of January so there is still time to get in on this fantastic wine. If you want to place an order, or get on the mailing list check out Sasha's website for contact information, let him know that David Sanchez sent you.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Eno wines. I'm just a huge fan and trying to help out a new and talented winemaker get his feet off the ground.

I don't know that it is an insider recommendation, but Silver Oak is some damn tasty Cabernet. (of course at $60/bottle it shoudl be.

I don't know that it is an insider recommendation, but Silver Oak is some damn tasty Cabernet. (of course at $60/bottle it shoudl be.

Thanks MonkeyK, I updated my original post to include my definition of an "insider" wine recommendation.

I'm not a huge fan of Silver Oak, but if your a Cab fan and willing to put out the money for a high quality Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon check out Bressler Vineyards. Bob is making one fantastic Cab and is currently offering his second release. You won't be dissapointed in this wine.

My opinion may be a bit biased because I work for three wineries, but our Valley of the Moon Pinot Noir 2002 is great!...and you can't beat the price! Also, our Kenwood Jack London series is good, but a little pricey. Hope this helps and makes you excited to go out and buy a bottle or two to try!

We found the 2001 on sale in MD in December for only $15 and they had the 2002 for $12. Picked up 2 bottles of each, the wife likes them. :D

cigarlady said:
My opinion may be a bit biased because I work for three wineries, but our Valley of the Moon Pinot Noir 2002 is great!...
[snapback]168244[/snapback]​

This past weekend I tried a new $10 wine that some of you may be interested in, Bonny Doon's Big House Pink. I've been a fan of Bonny Doon's other Big House wines, the white and red, and do on occasion enjoy these inexpensive srew cap wines. Big House Pink is not a sweet wine but more like an Italian Rosatto with a blend of Zinfandel, Negrette, Charbono and a couple others that I can't remember. A refreshing wine, tart and crisp that paired great with a creamy French Roqufort cheese, spicy lamb sausages and a tomato and cucumber salad. Okay, the salad went better with the Rochioli Sauvignon Blanc but that's another story.

Hey NorCal, I guess this is the thread I was suposed to go to to continue the previous conversation. The 2003 Novy Syrah I had was from Sonoma. I liked it a lot, its the only Novy I've had. I'm sure you could give me a lot of good suggestions. Please do if you're in the mood. :)

The funny thing is that when I got home yesterday Novy Family Wines latest offering mailer was in the mail :laugh:

Earlier this year we visited Siduri Winery for a tasting of the Novy '03 offerings, of course I had to purchase a mixed case. Of the '03 Syrah offerings my favorite was the Garys' but the Rosella's vineyard is always producing great fruit as well, and with Adams winemaking skill you can't beat their wines. I'm holding out at this point for the '04's which I'm anticipating are going to be some awesome wines.

Both of Adam and Diana's labels make killer wines! But they are getting more and more recognition these days so get on their mailing list. Oh yeah, the other label is called Siduri and they produce some of the best California Pinots :thumbs: . The '03 Cargasacchi was awesome, I think I have a couple still in the cellar :whistling: . You can not go wrong with Siduri wines, great wines, great people!

Thanks for the tip NorCal. :thumbs: I'm gonna have to try some Siduri Pinot.

STOP IT, STOP IT, STOP IT!!!! You're killin' me, as I KNOW noone will ship to Utah. :angry2:

Or I guess I could just go the Statie and see if they'r in stock......Sorry, must be the fever..... :blush:

psyktek said:
STOP IT, STOP IT, STOP IT!!!! You're killin' me, as I KNOW noone will ship to Utah. :angry2:

Or I guess I could just go the Statie and see if they'r in stock......Sorry, must be the fever..... :blush:
[snapback]203710[/snapback]​
Check with the winery for their shipping policies.

Hmmmmmm ..... I can always ship Olive Oil to Utah ;)

NorCalCigarLover said:
This past weekend I tried a new $10 wine that some of you may be interested in, Bonny Doon's Big House Pink. I've been a fan of Bonny Doon's other Big House wines, the white and red, and do on occasion enjoy these inexpensive srew cap wines. Big House Pink is not a sweet wine but more like an Italian Rosatto with a blend of Zinfandel, Negrette, Charbono and a couple others that I can't remember. A refreshing wine, tart and crisp that paired great with a creamy French Roqufort cheese, spicy lamb sausages and a tomato and cucumber salad. Okay, the salad went better with the Rochioli Sauvignon Blanc but that's another story.

[snapback]178871[/snapback]​

I love Bonny Doon!!!
I love the heart of darkness wine!!!

so NorCal, I was sitting here thinking about wine, as I often do, and a question occurred to me. I have always dismissed white wines, I've only had a hand full but they all seemed terrible, but could I be missing out on some great wines? I think I'm ready to try them again, any good suggestions? You know I'm sure the Haut-Brion is excellent but lets keep it under $20.

Fyodor said:
so NorCal, I was sitting here thinking about wine, as I often do, and a question occurred to me. I have always dismissed white wines, I've only had a hand full but they all seemed terrible, but could I be missing out on some great wines? I think I'm ready to try them again, any good suggestions? You know I'm sure the Haut-Brion is excellent but lets keep it under $20.
[snapback]204440[/snapback]​

I'm not much of white wine drinker, but here are few that I found in the cellar that we enjoy and are within your price point. Most of our whites are either Rieslings or Champagnes but we do enjoy Sauternes, Viogner, Sauvignon Blanc and crisper Chradonnays. Something at a price point under $20? Dang, your gonna make me work on this one ;) .

Okay, as a few already know I'm a huge DeRose Winery fan and they have a couple whites that I do enjoy. The 2003 DeRose Sharknose Chardonnay and 2003 Viogner are really good, of course being really good means they are dificult to find at this date in time.

A few other $20 wines I found in the cellar are, 2003 Canyon Road Sauvignon Blanc, 2004 Rudensheimer Drachenstein (Dragonstone) Riesling, 2000 Vieilles Vignes Cotes de Nuits-Villages

Hope this helps ....