• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ISOMs vs. Book ... ?

sir-smokes-a-lot

A Freudian Slip in progress
Okay, so if you decided you had been good (enough) this year and were saving up for a kick-a$$ X-Mas gift, would you rather buy:

1.) Min Ron Nee's Enclyopedia of Havana Cigars

2.) 1 ea. from Cohiba's Siglo line (i.e. I, II, III, IV, V, VI)

3.) 3 Trinidad Fundadores from 1998

4.) 5 (total, it would be a mix) of the three new Trinidads

5.) a Davidoff 3000 - 1985, and a Davidoff Abassadrise - both pre-embargo ISOMs

6.) 3 Davidoff Abassadrice - pre-embargo ISOMs

have been saving a little cash here and there and want to make one really cool purchase, which should I go for? (FYI, they are all w/in $12 of each other.)

thanks

:thumbs:

All those smokes would be a great experience, but once they're gone they're gone.

The book is a referrence you can go back to again and again (and I do)! :D

Transience vs. permanence-- your call. :thumbs:

(I'd have a hell of a time picking one out of those 5 cigar selections, too.)

psyktek said:
All those smokes would be a great experience, but once they're gone they're gone.

The book is a referrence you can go back to again and again (and I do)! :D

Transience vs. permanence-- your call. :thumbs:

(I'd have a hell of a time picking one out of those 5 cigar selections, too.)
Thats coming from a guy who has the book and all the ISOM's he can smoke!

:p :sign:

I have to agree, the book is amazing!! That would be my choice hands down. A gift that lasts.

I would like to see another GB on the book. If no GB then does anyone know where to get it? I would like to find a second copy for a friend.

I would go with the book.....but that is because I don't have it. I really want that one!

sir-smokes-a-lot said:

You might want to save your money and buy a history book...since a young man like yourself...studying at a higher institute of learning should know that "pre-embargo" would mean prior to July 8th, 1963...well before 1985.

How exactly did you get into college? :D

Here is the order I would rank them:

I don't know the scarcity of vintage cigars, but I do know that when they are gone, you aren't getting anymore easily(I dunt nead know skool 2 no dat). So 6 and 5 are interchangeable. Since I have had the 98's, 3 is just slightly lower than one. And 1 is very close to the top 2. Ask be toworrow and the top 3 might change order. The new Trinidads would be cool if you are a collector. All first release cigars have collectors value down the road(years). But if you just wanna smoke them in the next year, save your money until they are a full release. Number 2 will always be last because the others hold more intrinsic value.

Emo

funny, I would go for the Cohibas.

I'll take experiencing something myself over learning it from a book any day.

Considering this is a present to yourself and christmas and all I would go for the book. Every once in awhile you just have to get yourself an accessory and this book could qualify as one :p

Sam

buy'em all!!! you can pay off that debt after graduation....you only live once, but that was my problem in college...so on second thought don't listen to me, buy the damn book and learn!

TheBeast said:
sir-smokes-a-lot said:

You might want to save your money and buy a history book...since a young man like yourself...studying at a higher institute of learning should know that "pre-embargo" would mean prior to July 8th, 1963...well before 1985.

How exactly did you get into college? :D
Actually I am an Inernational Management maj., not a history one.

What I ment by that is that I was looking at the ISOM Davidoff's, not the Dom. Rep. ones.
You are correct though that Davidoff cotinued to make cigars in cuba untill 1991, when Dr. Ernst Schneider chose to switch countries. I think part of that had to do w/ good ole' Castro though, and not just trying out a then-relativly unknown country's tobacco

:thumbs:

If you take the book for what it is, one man's opinion, you will enjoy it for a lot longer than any of the cigars you mentioned. All of the cigars you mention are readily available, other than the Davidoff's, and could be purchased later. The two Davidoffs you listed are the smallest vitolas in the line-up and I have a pretty good idea you will not enjoy them nearly as much as you would the book, in the overall scheme of things. I've thumbed through my book at least 50 times since I've gotten it and still enjoy reading it and looking at the pictures over and over again.

gibu said:
I have to agree, the book is amazing!! That would be my choice hands down. A gift that lasts.

I would like to see another GB on the book. If no GB then does anyone know where to get it? I would like to find a second copy for a friend.
Steve and others - Email Ron (UCMB). He's still got some books left from the last group buy :)

As Matt said you will get more enjoyment out of that book than with the cigars. Excellent reference book! :thumbs:

Well, I'm just glad that you asked the question sir-smokes-a-lot because until you did, I had never heard of that book.

So, I found the old thread, emailed the guy (Ron?) and he has some still left. So I immediately said "Sold!!" and bought myself a Chirstmas present.

I think I changed my mind from my earlier choice and Matt made excellent points so now I say:

GO FOR THE BOOK !!!

Matt R said:
If you take the book for what it is, one man's opinion, you will enjoy it for a lot longer than any of the cigars you mentioned. All of the cigars you mention are readily available, other than the Davidoff's, and could be purchased later. The two Davidoffs you listed are the smallest vitolas in the line-up and I have a pretty good idea you will not enjoy them nearly as much as you would the book, in the overall scheme of things. I've thumbed through my book at least 50 times since I've gotten it and still enjoy reading it and looking at the pictures over and over again.
DITTO BRO!!!!!

I pick up my book three to four times a week for at least a half hour to 45 minutes each time. As stated, it is one man's opinions, but I have found them all to be good so far as what I have purchased since buying the book.

GET THE BOOK MAN!!!!!!!!!

Well, and a lot of it isn't opinion either. Like the history of the brands and facts like that. I think its well worth it just for the facts and not just the ratings and such.

hmm...I can;t find the book online ???

Can someone help me out with a link please?

thanks
Mike