• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Liquor Acquisitions 2021

Thoughts?
Ok, so…. I was tempted to buy the High West Rendezvous Rye (there was a whole shelf full at our local Binny’s) but…. I’m a huge Templeton's Rye fan. So when I saw their single barrel 10 yr rye I decided to put a hold on the High West.

The Templeton's is a cask strength rye - 104 proof (50%+ ABV). Generally when I drink a high proof whiskey I get the burn! I added a few drops of water to smooth the burn and it was amazing! On the nose I smell the vanilla and caramel. Definitely a Carmel vanilla sweetness with a wee bit of the raw grassiness of the rye. The finish is long - a sweet fruitiness of raisins and citrus notes. And I think the best part is the warmth of the alcohol lingering in my mouth and throat. There’s no burn, just an amazing warm feeling.

The second dram I chose to try it neat. While it is definitely more intense in the flavors and finish, it is an experience to be had! Again - I did not feel a “burn”, just an intense and pleasant warmth. It is as smooth as any well aged whiskeys I’ve tried. For a cask strength - this is the pinnacle of a well made whiskey. I’m frankly surprised Templeton's is not charging more for this treat! It is bourbon like, but definitely not a bourbon.

this will be on my regular rotation!

Last edited:
Ok, so…. I was tempted to buy the High West Rendezvous Rye (there was a whole shelf full at our local Binny’s) but…. I’m a huge Templetkn’s Rye fan. So when I saw their single barrel 10 yr rye I decided to put a hold on the High West.

The Templetons is a cask strength rye - 104 proof (50%+ ABV). Generally when I drink a high proof whiskey I get the burn! I added a few drops of water to smooth the burn amd it was amazing! On the nose I smell the vanilla and caramel. Definitely a Carmel vanilla sweetness with a wee bit of the raw grassiness of the rye. The finish is long - a sweet fruitiness of raisins and citrus notes. And I think the best part is the warmth of the alcohol lingering in my mouth and throat. There’s no burn, just an amazing warm feeling.

The second dram I chose to try it neat. While it is definitely more intense in the flavors and finish, it is an experience to be had! Again - I did not feel a “burn”, just an intense and pleasant warmth. It is as smooth as any well aged whiskeys I’ve tried. For a.cask strength - this is the pinnacle of a well made whiskey. I’m frankly surprised Templetons is not charging more for this treat! It is bourbon like, but definitely not a bourbon.

this will be on my regular rotation!
Thanks for the great review, maybe you could take a minute and post it in the liquor and spirits review thread so it can be pulled up quickly in coming years. The HW Rendezvous Rye you saw, did it have the same label as I posted above? The old label is very easy to find, but the new label has the new whiskey and new Rye supplier in it.

Thanks for the great review, maybe you could take a minute and post it in the liquor and spirits review thread so it can be pulled up quickly in coming years. The HW Rendezvous Rye you saw, did it have the same label as I posted above? The old label is very easy to find, but the new label has the new whiskey and new Rye supplier in it.

1627494328445.png

Looks to me to be the same picture of the bottle that you posted. I believe so!

Thoughts on the "new" Renedevous? I'm thinking that's my next purchase but hate to spend the money when I have the Single Barrel Templeton's in the rotation unless it's worth the buy!.
I've heard good things, however my bottle is still sealed so I am not sure yet. I plan on opening it Saturday night on the Vherf.

Had to start with this when I got home after all happy wife = happy life 😉

3D757617-6FD2-4973-A25F-5D3FEF4D42D0.jpeg

but this is where it’s at

C2193D08-A961-4180-ADBF-797E35CC3455.jpeg
And could not resist these 2 cask reserves made just for that store especially that Angels Envy signed by the distiller

34CCA17F-B4A6-4949-BC32-CC3BD11DC167.jpeg

I say there 10 year standard as a full peat comparison. Wee beastie while not as smokey has a serious oak bite. I purchased a Port Charlotte from Bruichladdich I found very similar to the wee beastie in oak tannins intensity.