• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Local B&M having a minimum purchase to use lounge?

I agree, the idea of a minimum would turn me off. But $10 or $15? I don't know what taxes are like where these guys are, but I don't think I've ever gone to my local and not spent $15. That's maybe 2 cigars.

A minimum would turn me off, but I think it's common courtesy that you should have to buy something each and every time you go into your local to have a smoke.

Sometimes I bring smokes with me that I can't find at my local, but I make sure the first thing I do is go in the humi and pick out a couple of smokes to buy before lighting up my own.
While these guys might become our friends they still need to make a living and need your support.

My local had to finally say something to a guy that decided he only smoked Cuban cigars. After three months of using the lounge and not buying so much as a twenty cent cup of coffee, the owner finally said something politely..........The guy has not been back since.

That is exactly what I do. If I bring a smoke in from my personal stash, I buy 1 or 2 sticks and a couple beers, usually around $30 when I am done. I have to support the local that I smoke in, otherwise he would not be there...

I’m going to disagree a little bit with the notion that you should buy something each and every time you go into your local shop. I go to basically one shop only, and I’ve spent a significant amount of money in there over the past few years. It’s not out of the ordinary for me to go in and spend a $100 or more at one time. My feeling is that if I buy 10 cigars on Monday, and want to go in there to smoke on Saturday I don’t necessarily think I need to buy anything that day to justify using the lounge.

I am very glad that my local shop doesn’t charge a lounge usage fee. But then again, don’t give the guy any ideas, because if there is a buck to be made…….

I’m going to disagree a little bit with the notion that you should buy something each and every time you go into your local shop.

I agree with you. Since moving here, I've bought every cigar at a local B&M because they have a great selection and decent prices. And I want to support them. I won't hesitate to bring in my SS sticks and smoke them, though, without buying anything that day. Luckily the people that work there don't keep track and just enjoy smoking. So I got no complaints.

The guys that buy every time and those that just buy a lot once in a while are all showing their support, just in a slightly different way. Any retailer worth their salt should recognize that and just enjoy smoking with all of them. :)

-John

I’m going to disagree a little bit with the notion that you should buy something each and every time you go into your local shop.

I agree with you. Since moving here, I've bought every cigar at a local B&M because they have a great selection and decent prices. And I want to support them. I won't hesitate to bring in my SS sticks and smoke them, though, without buying anything that day. Luckily the people that work there don't keep track and just enjoy smoking. So I got no complaints.

The guys that buy every time and those that just buy a lot once in a while are all showing their support, just in a slightly different way. Any retailer worth their salt should recognize that and just enjoy smoking with all of them. :)

-John

I guess I can see your points, but in my case......................... I do just about all of my large purchases with the retailers here. My "I want to get out of the house smokes" usually involves going to the local and only buying one to three cigars. I'm lucky if that happens once every two months.

You gotta remember......I'm not on here because my marriage sucks like the rest of you mooks. :)

For me it depends on just how nice the lounge is to pay for the use of it either through membership dues, purchases or straight up cutting fee cash. Another thing is, I actually want there to be a higher cost at the places that serve alcohol. I've been to a couple where the local kids have discovered them and turned 'em into their de facto fraternity bar - after purchasing the cheapest cigars available. And heaven forbid if the place allows cigarette smoking as well. I'm just too old for that now. I want an older, kinda classier, men's club type feel to a place. Can't do the beer ping pong crowd anymore and would prefer to price them out.

I'm on the JFields side of the fence. Every time I go into my local B&M, I always purchase something. I'm friends with the owner. He's the one paying the bills for that comfortable lounge chair I park my behind in. His shop is teetering on the edge, but he doesn't share that with the general customers.

My opinion is that I haven't 'earned' a damn thing from my continued support of the store. I should support the business every time I walk in the door and take up space. To be fair, the owner wouldn't blink an eye if I brought my own sticks in on occasion. I just don't think it's right to do that without purchasing something.

I'm on the JFields side of the fence. Every time I go into my local B&M, I always purchase something. I'm friends with the owner. He's the one paying the bills for that comfortable lounge chair I park my behind in. His shop is teetering on the edge, but he doesn't share that with the general customers.

My opinion is that I haven't 'earned' a damn thing from my continued support of the store. I should support the business every time I walk in the door and take up space. To be fair, the owner wouldn't blink an eye if I brought my own sticks in on occasion. I just don't think it's right to do that without purchasing something.

What the difference between you spending $10, ten times a month in your shop, and me spending $100 once a month? If I walk in and blow my entire monthly cigar budget in one day, does that mean I shouldn’t be allowed to use the lounge for the rest of the month? At the end of the month when he’s paying the bills my $100 spends just the same as yours right?

What the difference between you spending $10, ten times a month in your shop, and me spending $100 once a month? If I walk in and blow my entire monthly cigar budget in one day, does that mean I shouldn’t be allowed to use the lounge for the rest of the month? At the end of the month when he’s paying the bills my $100 spends just the same as yours right?

How would this be any different than eating lunch in the lounge at McDonald's every day, buying your food there four of the days and bringing your own on the fifth day? The manager would toss you, no matter how much you spent earlier in the week.

This is just my opinion. Like I said, My B&M owner wouldn't mind if I brought my own every so often. I just choose to buy something every time.

Some bad analogies there, as there are two different issues under discussion. Obviously whether you spend every day or once a month, there's no issue as to _when_ you smoke those cigars. The other issue is whether you feel like you've got the right to smoke an "outside" cigar based on your past support of the store.

It may be arrogant of me, but I feel like I've earned the option of smoking an outside cigar every once in a while. Anything I get outside of the B&M is few and far between, anyhow. If I won the super bowl pool and had a bunch of Anejo to smoke, I wouldn't feel comfortable going in the shop and smoking just those. There's a number (like 1 or 2 a month) that I'd be comfortable with and anything over would be taking advantage.

That number is zero for some folks and that's cool, too. :)

-John

Agreed. Everybody has an opinion. As long as the business owner is okay with it, then it's okay.

My analogy sounded much better in my brain than on the computer screen. :rolleyes:

Some bad analogies there, as there are two different issues under discussion. Obviously whether you spend every day or once a month, there's no issue as to _when_ you smoke those cigars. The other issue is whether you feel like you've got the right to smoke an "outside" cigar based on your past support of the store.

It may be arrogant of me, but I feel like I've earned the option of smoking an outside cigar every once in a while. Anything I get outside of the B&M is few and far between, anyhow. If I won the super bowl pool and had a bunch of Anejo to smoke, I wouldn't feel comfortable going in the shop and smoking just those. There's a number (like 1 or 2 a month) that I'd be comfortable with and anything over would be taking advantage.

That number is zero for some folks and that's cool, too. :)

-John

I agree with you 100%. I think that might be the point that most here were trying to make, but didn't elaborate as well as you.

I am in the 1-2 a month of outside smokes group, any more than that and I feel like I am taking advantage of his hospitality.

And Bsneed51 - I see your point. If I were to buy $100 of smokes at one time from my local, he would have no problem with me bringing in those smokes to enjoy in his lounge. I don't think those would be considered "outside" smokes. I think the outside smokes that we are discussing are the ones that you would buy from the online retailer, or a different B&M and bring them into your "regular" local.

There are two in my town. One is a member club and the other is simply a shop with some tables and chairs inside and outside.

The guy that owns the member club has the biggest selection and the higest prices. He charges $10.00 cover if you are not a member on top of his gouging.

The other shop is awesome. They are right at msrp plus the dreaded Ca. tax. No charge to sit and converse and enjoy your smoke. In fact every Friday night they serve some type of food from chilidogs to steak.
We watch old war movies too.

Out of the two shops I hear the member club is struggling.
Something to be said about being real and down to earth.

I know the member club you speak of but where is the other one
Come to the herf on March 5th and find out!

Thanks for the invite but I am working Weds-Sat till June...So no more fun on Friday or Saturday nights :(

Maybe I am the only anal retentive guy here, but I like to store cigars in my own humidor for a while before smoking them. I try to always buy a cigar or two whenever I use a cigar shop's lounge. I have several shops that are about equal distance from my house. So I stop in to all of them from time to time (one shop more than the others!) But I don't like to be told that I have to buy a cigar and smoke it there that day. I do understand some shop knowing that you never buy from them, but always use their lounge to smoke cigars you bought some place else. That wouldn't be right.

A slippery slope here indeed. My .02

Make no mistake about it, if you go into a B&M and they have a lounge with leather couches and 3 flat screens, your going to be paying a little premium for that. That is not put there out of the kindness of the owners heart I can assure you. So, if you dont feel like paying usage fees, having minimum purchase requirements ($15 is ridiclously low), or paying a little more in retail cost, vote with your wallet and go to a smaller place with less overhead. Just dont gripe when you dont get something for nothing. If your buying $10 sticks, whats buying a second to pay your way in using their faucilities? Your obviously not hurting for money. I know this comes as a great shock to many, but the US is one of the few countries in the world where water at a resteraunt is usually free and you dont have to pay extra to dine in.

I know EXACTLY the place you are talking about. The other places in town don't have such policies. They pretty much let you buy a stick and smoke it.

A slippery slope here indeed. My .02

Make no mistake about it, if you go into a B&M and they have a lounge with leather couches and 3 flat screens, your going to be paying a little premium for that. That is not put there out of the kindness of the owners heart I can assure you. So, if you dont feel like paying usage fees, having minimum purchase requirements ($15 is ridiclously low), or paying a little more in retail cost, vote with your wallet and go to a smaller place with less overhead. Just dont gripe when you dont get something for nothing. If your buying $10 sticks, whats buying a second to pay your way in using their faucilities? Your obviously not hurting for money. I know this comes as a great shock to many, but the US is one of the few countries in the world where water at a resteraunt is usually free and you dont have to pay extra to dine in.

I will vote with my wallet and simply cannot agree with you. I have no problem with having to make a purchase, but having a minimum purchase just rubs me the wrong way. I usually purchase 2-3 sticks when i go, but there is no reason to accept this practice when there are plenty of other shops with just as nice if not nicer lounges that don't have a minimum. Again I always make a purchase when I go in, but being told that I have to spend 15 bucks I will not deal with. I am already paying higher prices than I could get online and I do that willing to support the local shop and because I understand they have overhead that online retailers do not.
It was incredibly short sighted on his part if you ask me. As I stated I had visited this shop 5-6 times in the 6-7 weeks since I moved and probably spent 20-30 bucks a visit. He basically just lost himself $100+ a month in sales.

I know EXACTLY the place you are talking about. The other places in town don't have such policies. They pretty much let you buy a stick and smoke it.

Thanks for the heads up I will give the Humidour a try. I had already found one other place that I like much better before this happened.

Edit for spelling

And did you tell him any of that before you walked out? Maybe if enough people do, he'll change the policy. Or maybe this is something he waives for "regulars"... who knows...

-John

And did you tell him any of that before you walked out? Maybe if enough people do, he'll change the policy. Or maybe this is something he waives for "regulars"... who knows...

-John

I might have if I actually cared if he waived it. I have not been all that impressed with them anyway. They were really close to my house that is why i went there, but this was the final straw. Also the last time I was in i saw on this face the he recognized that I had been in multiple times. I think he though I would just accept the policy.