• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Look at theses smokes i just picked up

You already have holograms on the other picture (usually does not bode well)...

Actually, in this case they are required. This box was supposedly purchased in Cuba.

Ah, I don't read so good, I thought he said Puerto Rico....but i didn't think the label inside the box had a white rim around it on authentic boxes (or does it depend on date.) Where is Wilkey when we need him?

My NOV01 box of lanceros has the white rim, but not as wide as his appears.

First off the newer Esplendidos are in a box with rounded corners. These were just purchased so they should be in a newer box. Forget that. If you look at the finger joint in the front of the box there appears to be only 7 finger joints. There are 11 on an older style authentic box. These are clearly fakes. The box code italic is a dead give away. The Cohiba stamp on the cedar sheet should be centered. The list goes on and on. I'm sorry they are fakes my friend.

Bob

Sorry to disappoint you guys but these are real, the box is an 2005 or under, and 2006 and up use a different box as from the email reply from cohiba
Cheers

Hey there the box ran me $625

Here's an easy marker: How much did you pay for them?

Sorry to disappoint you guys but these are real, the box is an 2005 or under, and 2006 and up use a different box as from the email reply from cohiba
Cheers

Hey there the box ran me $625

Thanks for the pics....the box code does not look good...

What does it say directly under the clasp?

Also, can you shoot a closeup of the cap on the cigars?

Cheers

Again Ernie I have to ask, how did you determine that these were authentic and now that you have the box in hand, what aspects of it confirm for you that these are authentic? You have to take the amount of money you paid for it out of the equation as this could end up being a very expensive lesson for you. I will say that it doesn't look good, but I'm having a hard time digging up any info on the old box style, except for DePasta's post. The "real" box on that site is also from '04 so all aspects of yours should match all aspects of it, and that box code does not look good at all.

These were just purchased so they should be in a newer box.

Bob

That's not true. You can purchase aged cigars. The boxcode says '04, but has anyone ever seen a box code like that?

Of course you can buy an aged box but how likely do you think you could find an 04 box of Esplendidos in Cuba now? He said they were recently purchased. The box constuction is clearly fake.
Trust me on this one. There is a grocery list of things that are suspect with this box which all add up to being fake.

Bob

Bob

That's not true. You can purchase aged cigars. The boxcode says '04, but has anyone ever seen a box code like that?

Of course you can buy an aged box but how likely do you think you could find an 04 box of Esplendidos in Cuba now? He said they were recently purchased. The box constuction is clearly fake.
Trust me on this one. There is a grocery list of things that are suspect with this box which all add up to being fake.

Bob

I would listen to what Bob says on this. They are clearly fake. The most glaring giveaway is the box code; that font HAS never been used on legit boxes. In fact it is extremely common to see on fakes made in Cuba. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.... :whistling:

Bob

Bob

I agree with you Bob, I'm just trying to be diplomatic about it. I'm still learning about this myself. Instead of just saying "fake, Fake, FAKE!", I think it's important to explain why(even if similar situations have been addressed ad nauseum @ CP and elsewhere on the web). Ernie is obviously in denial because for one, he apparently paid a substantial amount of money for these, and two, they were obtained for him by his in-laws. Who wants to believe that family would do something like this to you?

Bob

Bob

I agree with you Bob, I'm just trying to be diplomatic about it. I'm still learning about this myself. Instead of just saying "fake, Fake, FAKE!", I think it's important to explain why(even if similar situations have been addressed ad nauseum @ CP and elsewhere on the web). Ernie is obviously in denial because for one, he apparently paid a substantial amount of money for these, and two, they were obtained for him by his in-laws. Who wants to believe that family would do something like this to you?

Some of my families members would in a heart beat. So I wouldn't trust any family member picking me up cigars and especially if they are ISOM related. :(

Some of my families members would in a heart beat. So I wouldn't trust any family member picking me up cigars and especially if they are ISOM related. :(

You'd think being Cuban while living in Cuba would make a difference..... apparently not.

Bob

Bob

Devonn I agree that just calling something fake is not good enough. That is why I listed a few hard facts to support my conclusion. I always feel bad when someone gets dupped and I never feel good about telling someone their cigars are fake. Its a real shame. Thanks for the feed back in any event.

Bob

One other thing to consider is that if a family member did in fact pick these up in Cuba it is more than likely that they purchased these off the street which is a big no no.

Bob

The reason he listed the price was to answer my question. If he had said he paid $275 for them then it would end all suspicion right there. But the price he paid seems within reason for a 5 year old box of Esplendidos. There's vendors I know that charge that price for very recent production Esplendidos.

Along with examples of a number of other cigars from a suspect source, a box of Cohiba Siglo VI's with the same box code as yours (LIN NOV 04) was examined several years ago here on CP with results that are not likely to make you happy Ernie.

ORIGINAL THREAD

FOLLOW UP #1

FINAL RESULTS

- Tim

Along with examples of a number of other cigars from a suspect source, a box of Cohiba Siglo VI's with the same box code as yours (LIN NOV 04) was examined several years ago here on CP with results that are not likely to make you happy Ernie.

ORIGINAL THREAD

FOLLOW UP #1

FINAL RESULTS

- Tim

Yeah, that's not too promising.

Cheers

Here's a thought.... since you've apparently been in contact with the manufacturer, why don't you send them some detailed pics of the box as well as the cigars and find out what their take on them is.... couldn't hurt. I have to say that in a side by side comparison of the pics in DePasta's link and the ones you posted, it doesn't look good, especially since these boxes are allegedly from the same year. The things that jump out at me are obviously the box code and also the positioning of the Cohiba brand on the cedar sheet as Bob has said. Also, differences in the latch and the positioning and font of "La Habana, Cuba" on the front side of the box. Even the grain of the wood the box was constructed from is much different.

The dead give away IMO over anything else is the finger joint construction. They are way too large. That is why there is only 7 of them instead of 11 like there should be.
I have seen this exact box many time before.

Bob

First off the newer Esplendidos are in a box with rounded corners. These were just purchased so they should be in a newer box. Forget that. If you look at the finger joint in the front of the box there appears to be only 7 finger joints. There are 11 on an older style authentic box. These are clearly fakes. The box code italic is a dead give away. The Cohiba stamp on the cedar sheet should be centered. The list goes on and on. I'm sorry they are fakes my friend.

Bob

Take note folks!

As soon as I saw even the fuzzy photo's, I had my suspicions.

Bob's spot on.