• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for a recommendation for my first Opus X smoke

maddog

Reaction score
I am a newbie to the cigar world (gave up smoking cigerettess 83 days ago) and am looking to expand my cigar tasting and buy my first Opus X. I really enjoy the Arturo Fuente Double Chateau and tend to prefer a medium smoke. Based on that, I would really appreciate a recommendation as to what Opus X would best fit my tastes at this point. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Opus are not medium bodied smokes. Some are stronger than others, however. Try a Fuente Fuente. Stay away from the smaller rings. They tend to be stronger. But, since you're a former cigarette smoker, chances are you won't puke on your shoes.

Doc

Thanks doc. I was leaning toward the Fuente Fuente after doing some extensive research. So as a rule of thumb, the smaller the ring gauge the stronger the cigar? Thanks again for your time

The smaller ring gauge doesnt indicate strength. Every cigar is different. Wrapper, binder, filler, etc all play a part in the strength and taste. Try out the newbie sampler trade.

Thanks for the advice RASCClicious. I will check those out as well. It appears more of that line is considered medium as well. Chiefmd, thank you for the info as well. More importantly, on behalf of myself and my family, thank you for your service to this great country. I recently lost a great friend of mine in Afghanistan to an IED. A graduate of West Point and a first lieutenant, he had has whole life ahead of him. So sad. Thanks again for doing what you did.

There are no facts posted here, only opinions based on individual experience. I suggest you try both a Petite Lancero and a Fuente Fuente and tell us what you think.

Doc

Doc, I think that is a great idea. I will take your advice and try them both. Sounds like a win win to me :thumbs:

DD is right...it's all opinion. IMHO, if you like a more medium cigar, you might like the OpusX Reserva d'Chateau or even the Double Corona more than the other vitolas.

My opinion would be an RdC. They start out mild because you are pulling the smoke through a lot of cigar. Half way through, they start to pick up and at the end, it is fairly full bodied. Hell, you can pitch it halfway if it is too strong.

I've been smoking cigars for a long while (better ones more recently) and I've yet to smoke an Opus X. I do have 3 in my humidor but never smoked them. Their prices make me want to find other things to love instead. Have you tried all of JD's LP's, or try the AF Hemingway like backslide said above.

I think Opus need to age to really come alive. Well I should say the aged ones I have had I liked more than the Fresh ones.

Just picked up a petite Lancero and will try to get a few more (Fuente Fuente and Reserva d Chateau) for the weekend. Thanks to all for the advice. This is simply the best place to be for good, honest direction for my new found passion. Thanks to all for the posts and I will update as to the "results". On a side note, my buddy who is a member of this community for some time now has been urging me to get on board for a long time now. My only regret is that I did not take his advice sooner.

CBoukal I have not got to those lines. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

You'll be pleased the petit Lancero was my very first Opus X. I wish I had more!

For JD I think I can say that any LP will do the trick they are all awesome! If your able to get your hands on a Feral pig dont pass it they are also wonderful !

A side note to what Louich said, the Feral Flying Pigs and Dirty Rats are a STRONG smoke but awesome on flavor. Full stomach is HIGHLY recommended as you said above you prefer more medium smoke but do not pass up on a chance to smoke one of those. The Drew Estates Undercrown is a great smoke. Any of the AF Hemingway's are excellent, I like the signature's myself. and to mirror what Louich said again, anything and I mean ANYTHING LP you can find, BUY. You can also add anything Illusione to your list while your writing :)

And I'll hop back in to join CB, Illusione are great smokes. I still have to find one I dont like!

I really don't care for fresh Opus, I'm a bit of a snob and prefer some years on them. That being said, the petite lancero is great, but strong. The Robustos are delicious and have less kick to them, but as Doc said, Opus aren't medium smokes. The smaller the ring gauge on Opus, the stronger they are is the general consensus. Might not be true for all cigars, but it seems pretty straightforward with Opus.

I agree with the recommendations on the Hemingway line. Outstanding smokes, and much easier on the wallet (not to mention easy to find), than Opus.