• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lucky to be alive...

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Last week we visited my family in San Diego, as we do several times a year. Tuesday afternoon we decided to take a trip to Oceanside to walk around the pier, with my two little kids, wife and parents. We have a newer Toyota Sienna (has great safety ratings). Had the 3rd row seat up in the very back to accommodate everyone.

As I was driving down Hwy 76, I stopped at a red light. No one behind me, normal stop (I'm always looking around). The right lane had about 5 cars already lined up. Sat there for about 12 seconds at the red light. I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed a car traveling at an extremely high rate of speed and not slowing down. I checked the intersection to make sure no cars were coming, and then got off the brake and started to go forward through the red light. Before I could make another move, he slams into me at over 50 MPH (slammed on his brakes last second).

Needless to say, I was more than pissed. Long story short, we're all lucky to be alive today. Had the car been any larger, such as an SUV or pickup, I'm afraid the outcome would have been horrible. Additionally, had I attempted to make a u-turn or turn my van in either direction, I may have flipped over. What if I wasn't there? He would have blown through the red light and potentially center punch someone and causing a tragedy. What if I didn't get off the brake? The impact would have been worse. All these thoughts won't stop going through my head.

Unfortunately our Sienna is totaled, as the entire rear end is gone, and both sides of van misaligned. The back seat was barely spared.

Count your blessings every day, and always be aware of your surroundings. Thank God we're all ok...

I can’t imagine the fear of seeing something coming at me from behind at that rate of speed all while my loved ones are within reach. Distracted driving is definitely a major problem today. Thank your stars you can still hug those who count every day.

Damn! I remember my dad always impressing upon me that you have to watch out for other drivers more than anything else. I always try to leave space between myself and others when I stop for the very reason you described. It has saved me from a rear ending on more than one occasion (but probably not in your scenario). Bet you he was on his phone!

Glad you all are ok, and I thought this was an “ I got bombed thread” at first. ?

Glad everyone is safe. You just can’t help that there are too many crazy drivers on the road now. At least god was looking out for you and made you look in the rear mirror.

As someone that's been hit from behind three times while commuting, my heart goes out to you. You're going to be sore, trust me. First time was the worst. I was stopped at a light and got tagged by four 'undocumented' guys in a car with a phony license, and of course, no insurance. Hit me going over 50 MPH. Hit me so hard it pushed me into the car in front of me, pushed them into the car in front of them, and pushed that car into the car in front of that. Out of five cars involved, three of us had insurance. After that shot, all four doors on my VW rabbit opened and I walked out. Solid little car, to be sure. However, the next day I could barely get out of bed....:oops: Pissed doesn't even cover it, but that's another story.

Hope all you guys are all OK, and my very best wishes for a speedy recovery and a fair settlement on your car.

Yes, you being vigilant made the situation better than what it might have been, and great job for that!!

I definitely need to be more aware of my surroundings... I am always deep in thought and missing turns, forgetting where I’m going at times ? My wife says I’m getting old, but I have always been like this...

Good habit to have, looking in your rear view at a stop. Glad you and yours are safe. Healing prayers.

Holy hell... glad you are all ok. That's some scary stuff -- especially with your kids in the car. Vehicles are replaceable, family isn't.

Glad you are ok.

I too had someone hit me.
Had to brake at the highway 'on ramp' merge point due to someone in front not merging.

The car behind me (nissan altima), well, she didn't brake.
Sent me fish tailing, then into the guard rail.

It seem I was luck to actually have been braking toward the right (breakdown lane) and was pushed that way.
If my 2500 series Suburban went forward ...I woulda creamed 2 other (tiny) stopped cars.

Whew.

Glad you are ok!!

Been driving for 25 years and first time something like this has happened. The road I was on is Highway 76 - think of a freeway with traffic lights every 1-2 miles. Another one of California's failures.

The kid that hit me had to have been using his phone. The police, paramedics, tow truck driver, claims adjuster, etc all said it has gotten really bad the past couple of years, primarily due to people being on their phones and not paying attention. Not to mention this state is grossly overpopulated.

Wow, Rod. that is scary. So happy to hear that you all are ok and no worse for wear.

Good to hear you and your family are ok. The car can be replaced and hopefully the kid that hit you learned a valuable lesson.

wow that's horrible. Very glad everyone is ok!

Rod - please get everyone checked out and either seeing a doctor or chiro. Make sure to note every doctor appointment, charge and your time used either taking off work/driving miles, etc.

I was involved in a rear end accident and I noted everything (time included) and settled with the other drivers insurance. I listed my expenses and tripled what it cost me and they paid me for it, as part of the closing of the claim. Don't settle on anything, until everyone feels like they're back to normal, as the repercussions of whiplash, take a long time to heal.

Hope everyone is ok.