• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Military Retirement

mjolnir01

El Cañón de Latón
Well, I told you guys I'd post something later, so here we are. I know I haven't been tremendously active lately, but I've been going through a pretty major life transition.

I'm hanging 'em up after a 20 year Air Force career. Twenty-four if you count my time at that small technical school in Colorado Springs. Three airframes, 4600ish hours of flight time. Six deployments and over 5 years of deployed-in-place RPA operations. Hundreds of invaluable relationships with great people.

Please please please---do NOT thank me for my service. It's always made me feel uncomfortable, and I usually deflect it with a humorous, "no, thank YOU for paying your taxes!" Rather, please accept my thank you for allowing me to serve. It was an adventure. Sure the bureaucracy was maddening, but I've done things most kids only dream of doing when they grow up.

Over half my life. It's surreal, scary, and exciting all at the same time.

So the next chapter is coming in the next few months. I've accepted a conditional job offer with a major regional airline here in the US. My plan is to get recent in manned flying and quickly bounce to a major carrier. My family also wants to leave Las Vegas and relocate back to the Southeast, so we'll see.

You guys have been like family for the last 13 years. Among my greater regrets is not meeting up in person with Trey (Spad31) and Danno (MadMonk) when we had a great opportunity to do so. So in my new job, one where I'll be jetting around the country on the regular, I'm going to try to commit to smoking with as many of you as I can!

Thanks for reading, gents.

You are welcome that I paid my taxes. Was that a good work around on your request? That all sounds super awesome. Have a fun new adventure!

Hey congratulations Barry!! Sounds like you’re set! I know what you mean about the thank you thing. It’s somewhat awkward when a civilian does it and I don’t know what to say, but I find it super awkward when a fellow Marine or service member does it. Glad it’s not just me.

Congrats!

My response is usually "my pleasure".

Quite some amazing hours you racked up!

Flying RPA.. Do you ever fly civilian RC? There used to be a big RC shindig out at the field behind the Silver Bowl, but lots of guys just went out to the desert.

Glad to hear you're looking forward to a new chapter in life!

Congrats on the milestone. I am sure you will be in for lots of new adventures in this new role. And the fact that all this travel will allow for face to face time with BOTLs is an added bonus 👍
And thank you for choosing the path you did. I always feel safer flying when i know an ex military pilot is behind the controls 👍

Congrats! Make sure you stop by Mississippi on your ventures! This is awesome!

Congrats on the transition! 20+ years is an AMAZING commitment and accomplishment!! People with your dedication make America the greatest country in the world (disagree? Fight me elsewhere 😉)

I hope you fully enjoy the freedoms that you and others have worked so hard to project. Congratulations Barry! Well done!

Where in the "southeast?"
We wish Florida, but likely Atlanta area, maybe Charlotte.
Flying RPA.. Do you ever fly civilian RC? There used to be a big RC shindig out at the field behind the Silver Bowl, but lots of guys just went out to the desert.

Glad to hear you're looking forward to a new chapter in life!
I loved the look of it when I was a kid but never jumped into the hobby personally.

Well as a fellow blue card AF, welcome to the other side Barry! Looking forward to a visit since the southeast is in your future.