• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Misc's 1st pass (sort-a)

rocket15 said:
I think you're being quite reasonable. [...] The fact is, regardless of whatever is posted, we are all still strangers to each other the first time around. After that, we are cigar pass buds.
"Quite reasonable" -- I can't say as I've heard THAT in a while... :D

Thanks for the background -- yeah, I tend to over-think stuff. If you've seen me on ASC, you know I'm one of the more anal folk alive. I'm aware of this about myself, which is why I occasionally ask [complete strangers] for a reality check. :) Anyway, you're right about the 1st time thing -- but this is my 1st time, and many 1st timers are joining in. I don't want to exclude anyone, but I want to act responsibly, too. (Note tendancy to over-think simple things!)

Anyway, welcome aboard!

Only a couple days in, and things are shaping up. Here's the list so far:

Smokin' Tone
Leebo 898
crash0473
Pepe <-- Not French :)
Benjiev
Gekko777
KorryP
Rocket15

*** GEKKO777 *** I need your snailer (send e-mail). No one can mail you cigars without an address, dude!

Have I mentioned recently that I am lovin' the whole CP gig? :love:

I was going to say "in a couple of days, I'll post the starting lineup", except that it may change several times before the 22nd (I'm really swamped between now and then, so that's my planned start-date.) Maybe I will, anyway. I think I want to browse my local tobacconist first, to see if my pass "needs" anything :)

(Sure wish I lived in a tobacco friendly state! ???)

Misc,

Check your email - sent my snailer and letter from mom, plus copy of my birth certificate!!!!

LOL :D

Gekko777 said:
Check your email - sent my snailer and letter from mom, plus copy of my birth certificate!!!!
Ok, I got it, Gekko, thanks. Looks like we have to let you in, whether we want to or not :D

So, tell us more about your mom...

<shaking flimsey piece of paper> hey, is this thing real?! :p

(Welcome aboard.)

---

For everyone: I'm sort-a swamped this week, preparing for a big event next weekend. I'll try to pop in here a couple times a day and keep posted -- just don't worry if I'm not fully in touch a couple of times. I'M HERE! The pass is on!

We'll take more folk until Sunday night.

I'll try to post the start-box today or tomorrow, if I can get the time.

Woo-hoo! :D

Ok, here's what I'm thinking about for the starting lineup. It may change a couple of times between now and next Monday, but this is the general idea. If I make changes, it'll be to upgrade a couple of the cheapies. (As I review my newbie-collection, I now realize that I have several boxes of ultra-cheaps that I wish I'd-a bought half as many not-quite-so-cheaps, instead ???)

Anyway...

Punch After Dinner
Duque Gran Duque
Duque Wavell (for someone who like's 'em shorter.)
Romeo Y Julietta en tubo (haven't picked size, yet -- something from their Silver Anniversary Box.)
JR Ultimate Cabinet Selection #50 * 2 [1]
Ashton Churchill
"Genuine Pre Embargo Counterfeit Cuban" * 2 [2]
Cohiba (DR "Red dot" -- I don't own any ISOMs)
Padron Churchill
Perdomo2 Box Press
Hoyo de Monterey Robusto

---

In addition, I'm going to stick in a Consuegra #733 (#73 maduro) for anyone who wants one to just take without considering it part of their "take" (that is, no need to make it up in "put.") This is an amazingly good, inexpensive (~$1) cigar that I recently discovered and I'm just so psyched about it that I want everyone to try one. If you've already had one and don't like 'em, or whatever, don't take one -- but there'll be one in there for everybody. I'm told they're even better after a year of nap time.

I'm also going to stick in a couple of Jose Martis with which I had a so-so experience. Maybe they'll get better with age, but I wasn't thrilled with the first one. However, I occasionally see people raving about these, so if you're one of the people who likes them, I'd rather you enjoy them than the earthworms in my garden.

---

[1] A rather decent house-brand that I happen to enjoy. Full and interesting, with a nice flavour.
[2] Another house-brand from JRs -- I bought them because they were inexpensive and the name just cracked me up (it's a joke on all the "real" counterfeit cubans out there), and they turned out to be rather enjoyable smokes.

You can learn more about either of these at <www.jrcigars.com> (NADA)

Sounds like a good starting line up. Can't wait for it to get here!!!!!! :) :D

Im up for another pass if you'll include me. Email sent with addy, fingerprints, retina scan, and a letter from my lawyer giving you the rights to my first-born. :D :sign:
Really looking forward to being a part of your pass. Thanks

bryanh said:
Im up for another pass if you'll include me. Email sent with addy, fingerprints, retina scan, and a letter from my lawyer giving you the rights to my first-born. :D :sign:
Really looking forward to being a part of your pass. Thanks
As soon as I get the e-mail, you're in.

Uh... unless it's premature, the baby probably won't fit in the box. Maybe you should hold onto it until she's cute^D^D^D old enough to drive :D

---

Btw, there are several new people here (and me!) who've sent me little bios, which is nice, but maybe we could all post a bit in the forum, so others can get to know us, too. Doesn't have to be "I'm this old, I work here, I have this many kids", if you don't want -- it's free form, whatever you want.

I'll start with "the thing I enjoy that's been occupying all my time, lately": Well, not counting starting my cigar hobby in mid May of this year, which has prooved a severe distraction, the main thing that I've been doing with my life is working on a computer soccer-like game. It's actually a pre-cursor (proof of technology) to what I hope will evolve into a MMORPG [1] It's sort-a like Soccer, it's not quite ready, yet, it's called "FoosMan!" and you'll be able to check it out (soon!) at www.ManyFriends.com While you're waiting, you can check out "Magnets!" [2], at that same URL -- it's a lot of fun! :)

So, what are YOU all up to, these days?

---
[1] MMORPG = massivly multiplayer online role playing game.
[2] Magnets! was an even earlier proof-of-technology that was a lead-in to FoosMan!

BIO:

Sometimes even my own bio puts me to sleep specially when I am most likely the one that did the: I used to work here, I now work here, wife does this, kids = 3. Seems that I need a life away from computers. I tend to be single focused and even with a wife that constantly reminds me to re focus I still focus on one thing until I accomplish it. Worked great in my early years as a coder. Now with a family and various hobbies it is difficult not to work on a single project until I get it finished.
Korry
:lookup:

Misc
Please except my apologeeze but I need to bow out of your pass for now ??? Things have just gotten a little crazy over at the homestead here with summer, kids, work and such :0 and I need to back off a bit and come up for some air ;)
Congrats on your first pass it looks like its going to be a winna :D

benjiev said:
Misc Please except my apologeeze but I need to bow out of your pass for now ???
Oh my God! They're dropping like flies! The stress -- I can't take it! AAAAHHHHHHH!!!
BOOM! <sound of head exploding>

Just kidding ;)

Well, bummer that you can't do this one, but I hope to see you in another pass. And I hope your life settles down enough to enjoy a cigar now and again.

This brings the list to (not in shipping order, I'll work that out on Monday):

Smokin' Tone
Leebo 898
crash0473
Pepe
Gekko777
KorryP
Rocket15
BryanH
(back home to me.)

The pass will go out Monday Morning, and I'll post the order, the final starting lineup and the tracking number as I drop it off.

I have read the Rules Of A Pass here on the site, read this entire thread, and now have some questions before I decide if I can offer you my full-fledged support.

1) Is this a reverse ratio pass? If not, how many do we take out & put back in?

2) What shipping method is going to be used?

3) As long as I match up the cigars that I take in quality, am I doing well?

4) What are LGCs?

5) Are cigar passes really just a great way to trade out old stock for different stock?

6) Can you provide me with some other examples of "high-quality premiums"?

Thank you very much!

BIO

My name is Gavin and McPatrick is the original last name of my ancestors in Ireland 200+ years ago. Thus, I am a distant member of the McPatrick Clan. I work as a Credit Manager for an auto finance company based in Ft. Worth, TX. I am 25 years old. I live just North of the city of Dallas in a suburb called Richardson (see PuroBrat for others living in Richardson, TX). I enjoy Cigar Pass because it is a place for me to chat with like-minded people.

FUN: I enjoy golf, Jim Rome's radio show, Detroit Lions football (I grew up in tha real D), and spending time with my wife/friends/family.

Here's what you are looking for that I can answer:
2.) Usually, unless specified, USPS Priority or Express Mail. Sometimes people use UPS and Fedex. Key is to be able to post a tracking number and get the package to the destination within 3-4 working days.
3.) Quality is in the mouth of the smoker. Whats good to you might not be to me. Matching prices is the preferred way. Use JRCigars, Holts, and Netcigar as they carry most every cigar imaginable and their prices are all pretty close on boxes.
4. La Gloria Cubana
5. Depends on how you look at it. If I buy something and I kinda like it, then I'll let them sit for a few months before I try em again. When I come back and they don't do anything for me, then I'll consider putting em in trades, given as welcome gifts, start a pass with. Most people join a pass because they want to try something they haven't tried before.
6. Fuente's DC and Hemingway, Montechristo, Perdomo(some disagree), CAO, Padron ummm...there are quite a few really...or do you mean ultra-premiums? Like Opus, VSG, CAO Anni's, Davidoff, Diamond Crown, etc...
My opions vary from others quite often, but that's my 2 cents.
Emo

Thanks! Misc, do you have anything to add since I will be attempting to join YOUR pass? :D

1) Is this a reverse ratio pass? If not, how many do we take out & put back in?

Take out as many as seem interesting (try to be reasonable, and leave
some for the others :)) 3-5 seems typical, use your judgement.

Put back the same number as you take, of equal or greater value.

I own no ISOMs, but if someone drops one in, and you take it, please
replace it with another ISOM.

This is all "standard rules."

Some day, when I'm old and flush with cigars (like DaveWF), I'll do
a reverse-ratio -- for now, I don't have enough cigars to pull it off.

2) What shipping method is going to be used?

USPS Priority mail, or UPS 2day air or equivolent. Something that can
get the cigars to their destination quickly.

3) As long as I match up the cigars that I take in quality, am I doing well?

Most folks say "match for value", but I'm not strictly opposed to matching
with a cigar that you feel is of excellent quality and perhaps a bit less
expensive. Again, use reasonable judgement.

Be aware that, if others feel your puts don't meet your takes, they
may rail you no end, or even blackball you from other passes. I say
this not as a threat (I'm new here, what do I know?!), but as a caution.
I try to be very careful with my puts & takes and ask the passer in email,
if I'm not sure.

4) What are LGCs?

La Gloria Cubanas. Reportedly a very good cigar -- I certainly enjoyed
the one I smoked fresh off the truck. Also reported to have a sick period
from about 6 weeks until about 6months old where they release an
ammonia-like substance and taste just awful. The last one I had was
substantially worse than the previous, so I assume they've entered their
"sick period." I'm a little hesitant to include one in this pass -- but if
someone knows what they're doing and is willing to sit on it for several
months, I'm happy for them to have it. I will repeat the warning with it
in the box, though -- lest someone unfamiliary be "injured" by it.

5) Are cigar passes really just a great way to trade out old stock for different stock?

Sort-a. For me, it's a way to buy several boxes, then try several different
kinds of cigars without having to buy several more boxes, or pay singles
prices. Also, it's a rather fun social event, and a neat way to get to know
your fellow smokers, make friends, etc.

6) Can you provide me with some other examples of "high-quality premiums"?

Uh... mine is a "mid-grade" pass -- and Emo answered this question far
Better than I could hope to.

Hope that helps! Really mostly a duplicate of Emo's fine answers, but now you've heard it from ME :love:

I need an address, if you want in -- please send e-mail.

I'll be out of town for a couple of days, but the pass starts Monday! :D

Don't forget to PM me when it's ready to get moved...

Thanks,
Dave ;)

DaveWF said:
Don't forget to PM me when it's ready to get moved...
Will do. Expect said PM Monday afternoon, sometime.

I'll post the final starting linup, the pass-order, and the tracking number at the same time.

In the mean while, can anyone tell me how you get the little quips under your avitar? Like Dave's "I'm not as skinny as I look", etc.

Thanks!

Keep posting, it's not available yet.....

Misc said:
In the mean while, can anyone tell me how you get the little quips under your avitar? Like Dave's "I'm not as skinny as I look", etc.
I was looking for this same feature the other day. :p But i didnt want to sound goofy posting a whole new topic on it. Glad you asked! :thumbs:
So, how many posts does it take, Dave?

I believe it's 100 - but Rod would really be the one to ask..
Dave ;)