• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Stone release

I cracked her open tonight and had the first pint with a nice New York wit a peppercorn port sauce alnong with a roasted squash risotto. Great mean and a great beer.

Had the second pint with a JdN Gran Consul Gran Reserva that I got from a fine BOTL.

Finished the night off with the remnants of a growler of Blackfoot River Xtreme Stout (local brewery) so I'm feeling well.

The Old Guardian wasn't quite what I expected, but was very good still. To me, it was surprisingly similar to an amber that they make locally here in Montana, but with a little more sophistication. It was really hoppy, but still smooth. There was some nice sweetness, like Jonas said, caramelly (is that a word?) but nothing overpowering. I didn't really pick up any of the fruit flavors, but it was very enjoyable. The finish was very smooth, again with just a touch of sweetness, perfect for my taste.

Overall this was something I really enjoyed, and if I stumbled across would get a case to sit for a while. Thanks Jonas for giving me the chance to try this.

got an OG yesterday! Also got 2 Stone ipa's and two sixers of Bells Two Hearted Ale. Looks like the Stone 9th anniv. is gone forever and we cant even get the 10th anniv yet.

Nice review Justin! It was definitely hoppier then I expected but I am a hophead so I loved it. The sweetness was nice because it balanced the bitterness. I think this will be great with a bit of age.

In other news I shared that Xtreme Stout with a couple buddies and everyone really enjoyed it. Its not for those who dislike bitterness because it was big in the IBU department. It had a great mouth and although the flavor was a bit thin it was still really good. Lots of roasted/burnt malt which I love. Thanks!

jonas

Nice review Justin! It was definitely hoppier then I expected but I am a hophead so I loved it. The sweetness was nice because it balanced the bitterness. I think this will be great with a bit of age.

In other news I shared that Xtreme Stout with a couple buddies and everyone really enjoyed it. Its not for those who dislike bitterness because it was big in the IBU department. It had a great mouth and although the flavor was a bit thin it was still really good. Lots of roasted/burnt malt which I love. Thanks!

jonas

I think that's why I prefer the Scottish, as it is less bitter, but until reading your mini review I couldn't really pinpoint why.

I had a ruination IPA from stone last night. Good stuff!

just had one today! Just so happened my neighbor brought me 3 bottles of his homebrew ipa right when I finishing up the Stone. Tasted exactly like the Stone. Im a happy man right now.

I just returned from skiing in Colorado where I was able to pick up a bottle of the Old Guardian along with Boulder's Killer Penguin Barley Wine (and some Ruination, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin, Deschutes Obsidian, and Victory Hop Devil!). It's almost getting too warm here for Barley Wine, but I'll force myself to drink it!

I've been able to get my hands on plenty of Barley Wine this winter. Bigfoot (of course), Avery Hog Heaven, Great Divide Old Ruffian, Arcardia Cereal Killer, Schlafly's Oak Aged Barley Wine, and some Young's Old Nick. The beer selection here in KC has really been getting better lately.

I just purchased these over lunch:

Avery Hog Heaven (what a beautiful brew!)
Avery Czar
Storm King Stout
Rogue Chocolate Stout
a 12pack of Spaten.

I finally had an opportunity to try the Stone Old Guardian and wow. Just simply WOW. :D

I finally had an opportunity to try the Stone Old Guardian and wow. Just simply WOW. :D
Nice, seems like this one is a hit! Now we just need to convince Stone to sponsor the forum and one of the Vegas events!

Finally cracked open the Stone OG yesterday. What an awesome beer. If anyone wants to pick up a few bottle's for me, I'll buy, trade or whatever.