• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Study on Health Effects & Premium Cigars

Do you retrohale?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xyz123

Obviously you're not a golfer.
So it was released over the weekend for this weeks consumption and review. This is the write up Mottola did for CA. <<<<LINK>>>>

Here's some of the highlights:
  • The health risks of handmade cigar smoking are likely less than those smoking other types of cigars because most premium cigar smokers are non-daily or occasional smokers and less apt to inhale the smoke.
  • Only one percent of the adult population smokes premium cigars, and very few youths smoke them. “Premium cigar use is less common among youth, and only 0.6 percent of those who reported smoking a premium cigar brand in the past 30 days were under the age of 18,” the study reported.Because such a small portion of the population smokes premium cigars, NASEM has deemed the aggregate health effects in the population to be “modest.”
  • Premium cigar smokers tend to smoke less frequently when compared to those who smoke cigarettes, cigarillos and non-premium cigars.
  • From a chemical composition standpoint, the panel finds that cigar tobacco, including premium cigar tobacco, is no safer than cigarette tobacco, with high levels of tar and nicotine.
  • The health risks of premium cigars are most likely proportional to patterns and duration of use, ie. how often one smokes and whether or not they inhale.
  • There is still insufficient data as to the health risks of occasional or non-daily premium cigar use.
  • The FDA needs to establish a clear definition for premium cigars for more effective research purposes.
  • The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services should monitor smoking patterns, product characteristics and frequency of cigar use to better understand the premium cigar category.
  • Though NASEM pointed out that premium cigars are marketed in lifestyle magazines, online and through social media, there was no evidence to definitively say that the marketing targets children.

FDA funded... AKA, our tax dollars hard at work here clearly. Anyone learn anything new from this? Yeah, me neither. I just conjure up these uppity, power-hungry Karen types not resting until every tobacco leaf is 500 miles away from their kids school... saving them from the evil stogie man!

I actually blame a lot of this on Jonathan Drew.. and am hoping it was actually one of the reasons Saka left him. Acid, and to a lesser extent, lines like Flavours from CAO. Is it really a surprise that Swisher swooped in and bought them all??

If ever a premium cigar was marketed to young people, it's Acids... anyone here ever see their Water Towers line?

Good job identifying the link. ;)

The only thing I really took from the Cliffs Notes there is that premium cigars are NOT a big deal at the moment, for both old folks and whippersnappers. However, they aren't any safer than cigarettes in a proportionally correct ratio. Admittedly, I didn't read the link yet, but I don't share those same concerns based on the bullet points you've provided. It specifically states there's no evidence that cigar marketing targets children.

I will agree that Drew Estate's demographic was younger smokers, and it paid off in spades. The under 35 year old smoker (arbitrary number) was an untapped demographic, and JD hit it out of the park with a method of attracting them to the product, and cigars in general. However, I can honestly say that I've never, not once in my life, seen kids hanging around under the bleachers, or hiding in a bathroom stall attempting to smoke a cigar (ACID or traditional). Maybe now that they make the Coronets in a more manageable vitola, but I think that cigars are at the very bottom of the strata survey when it comes to "bad things kids are putting in their bodies".

So it was released over the weekend for this weeks consumption and review. This is the write up Mottola did for CA. <<<<LINK>>>>

Here's some of the highlights:
  • The health risks of handmade cigar smoking are likely less than those smoking other types of cigars because most premium cigar smokers are non-daily or occasional smokers and less apt to inhale the smoke.
  • Only one percent of the adult population smokes premium cigars, and very few youths smoke them. “Premium cigar use is less common among youth, and only 0.6 percent of those who reported smoking a premium cigar brand in the past 30 days were under the age of 18,” the study reported.Because such a small portion of the population smokes premium cigars, NASEM has deemed the aggregate health effects in the population to be “modest.”
  • Premium cigar smokers tend to smoke less frequently when compared to those who smoke cigarettes, cigarillos and non-premium cigars.
  • From a chemical composition standpoint, the panel finds that cigar tobacco, including premium cigar tobacco, is no safer than cigarette tobacco, with high levels of tar and nicotine.
  • The health risks of premium cigars are most likely proportional to patterns and duration of use, ie. how often one smokes and whether or not they inhale.
  • There is still insufficient data as to the health risks of occasional or non-daily premium cigar use.
  • The FDA needs to establish a clear definition for premium cigars for more effective research purposes.
  • The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services should monitor smoking patterns, product characteristics and frequency of cigar use to better understand the premium cigar category.
  • Though NASEM pointed out that premium cigars are marketed in lifestyle magazines, online and through social media, there was no evidence to definitively say that the marketing targets children.

FDA funded... AKA, our tax dollars hard at work here clearly. Anyone learn anything new from this? Yeah, me neither. I just conjure up these uppity, power-hungry Karen types not resting until every tobacco leaf is 500 miles away from their kids school... saving them from the evil stogie man!

I actually blame a lot of this on Jonathan Drew.. and am hoping it was actually one of the reasons Saka left him. Acid, and to a lesser extent, lines like Flavours from CAO. Is it really a surprise that Swisher swooped in and bought them all??

If ever a premium cigar was marketed to young people, it's Acids... anyone here ever see their Water Towers line?
With all due respect, from a study showing 0.6% of minors smoking cigars that also states that there is no evidence of marketing toward children, how did you come away blaming JD for creating the Acid line? Outside of vibrant designs, I’m curious how he’s marketing to minors (I’m assuming based on your comment, that is the demographic you’re referring to)

Good job identifying the link. ;)

I was wondering if you'd notice! I went over the top with it initially, but then reigned it in. It's funny too because the times I've seen links done like that here I wondered at the time if the poster realized all the symbols weren't necessary for it to be seen. Well joke's on me... they are!!

And right on about the marketing to kids part. Shouldn't the focus be on vaping... or Tide pods, fentanyl, etc? I think they have this caricature of cigar smokers in their heads as some sort of elitist, privileged, aristocracy miscreants chortling at our good fortunes as we clink our brandy glasses together whilst getting toasted and roasted.

Most of my cigar pals are blue collar or pretty buttoned down white collar types with a genuine affinity for damn fine cigars. It's not a status thing. It's the assumption that since they're premium items we should just expect a premium tax and be quiet. Wrong.

What more does there need to be studied?

Quick question.. how many people here also smoke cigarettes on any kind of regular basis?

With all due respect, from a study showing 0.6% of minors smoking cigars that also states that there is no evidence of marketing toward children, how did you come away blaming JD for creating the Acid line? Outside of vibrant designs, I’m curious how he’s marketing to minors (I’m assuming based on your comment, that is the demographic you’re referring to)

Vibrant is one thing... but the war on big tobacco had even Joe Camel canceled. I'm not saying I agree.. but if you're trying to keep the FDA and any other regulatory agency off the industry's back.. don't do this:

images.jpeg-2.jpgimages.jpeg-1.jpgdownload.jpeg.jpgimages.jpeg.jpgacid_kuba_arte_1000x400_ART_KEO2.jpgacid_kuba_arte_1000x400_ART_KEO1.jpgacid_kuba_arte_1000x400_ART_VERS.jpg

This is from their own website and is a big F.U. that every other premium cigar maker would wish they'd stop. And this is just what I grabbed in a minute or so. It's also not anywhere how they were in the mid to late aughts.. before Swisher snatched them up... Swisher.

They were much more flagrant and I think it was right about '12 or '13 that Saka had enough and started DT&T. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a sucker for 9's and 52's, and most of Willy's blends... hopefully the tamping down by Swisher and the findings in this study can start veering the FDA away from premiums.

Finally.

Vibrant is one thing... but the war on big tobacco had even Joe Camel canceled. I'm not saying I agree.. but if you're trying to keep the FDA and any other regulatory agency off the industry's back.. don't do this:

View attachment 53136View attachment 53137View attachment 53138View attachment 53139View attachment 53140View attachment 53141View attachment 53142

This is from their own website and is a big F.U. that every other premium cigar maker would wish they'd stop. And this is just what I grabbed in a minute or so. It's also not anywhere how they were in the mid to late aughts.. before Swisher snatched them up... Swisher.

They were much more flagrant and I think it was right about '12 or '13 that Saka had enough and started DT&T. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a sucker for 9's and 52's, and most of Willy's blends... hopefully the tamping down by Swisher and the findings in this study can start veering the FDA away from premiums.

Finally.
I can see where you’re coming from. I don’t know that I agree that Acid’s appearance is drawing more attention from the FDA than any other brand. If there was any proof of that, I’d surely be willing to reconsider.

At the end of the day, (as much as it’s not my thing, or most people’s thing here for that matter) there was a deficit in the market of higher quality flavored cigars and he successfully capitalized on it.

So where do we stand on Kentucky fire curred? It's certainly a infusion of sorts, but I would call it a premium.

So where do we stand on Kentucky fire curred? It's certainly a infusion of sorts, but I would call it a premium.

I've never had one. My actual experience is fairly limited - my buddy's son's BIL had a Padron and another smoke. I only caught part of the name, Tatsomethingorother. I had a Bishop's Blend and told him I trade for what I thought was going to be a Tatuaje of some sort. Nope, fucking grape Tatiana. That thing stank so bad and I couldn't get the smell off my hands. They had already gone down to the lake to fish and my BB was history by then. Needless to say, I didn't smoke the Grape Tatiana.