• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie Training Cigar Pass-- For February 07-

I' like to get in, if possible. And I'm also in favor of raising the limit a little. I don't really know if I have much for $3 and under, let alone enough to to a couple P/Ts. $3-8 seems to be the standard for 'regular' sticks from what I've read around the board.

I would really like to join in. I would also prefer a higher cost ($5-10) would be nice, but in keeping cost for cost.

Edit: Is it protocal to PM Saxman, or should he see my interest here?

I' like to get in, if possible. And I'm also in favor of raising the limit a little. I don't really know if I have much for $3 and under, let alone enough to to a couple P/Ts. $3-8 seems to be the standard for 'regular' sticks from what I've read around the board.

Gentlemen,

The consensus seems to raise the price of the sticks to anything $10 or less. LET'S GO FOR IT!! Protocol on cigar passes seems to be that you replace with an approximately equal value. I don't want this to be a restrictive protocol for this pass since we are not taking about expensive sticks here. If you see something you want to try, go for it and replace it with what you like to smoke. The primary purpose here is for us newbies to get a cigar pass under our belt and learn what the kinks are, and perhaps getting some smokes we haven't tried.

Tomthirtysix, you are in.

I hope we get a couple of old timers to join to guide and help us out. :D

I would really like to join in. I would also prefer a higher cost ($5-10) would be nice, but in keeping cost for cost.

I am not sure about protocol, but in following the threads of finished passes they seem to keep posting interest and other info on the thread. Consider yourself in!!!

I am sure about protocol, but in following the threads of finished passes they seem to keep posting interest and other info on the thread. Consider yourself in!!!

Thanks!

Count me in! Been waiting for a pass that I qualify for. Looks like fun!

:cool:

Put me in Coach, I'm ready to play.
This is my first pass, so I'll need to be led by the nostril.

(Luckily my wife has already trained me with a nose ring and a chain, so I guide pretty well.)

And the cigar price range works for me. In my experience, the less experienced the cigar smoker, the more they paid for the cigar! And I've still got lots of sticks I paid too much for! LOL :whistling:

As to you "old" guys doing the mentor thing... since this board is HUGE and has TONS of stuff, any shortcut links to relevant Howtos, FAQs, protocol threads, rules, general tribal knowledge, how to prep for our colonoscopy, etc. I'm sure would be appreciated for we young'ins!

I am very much intrested in this if you still have room for a FNG

Put me in Coach, I'm ready to play.
This is my first pass, so I'll need to be led by the nostril.

(Luckily my wife has already trained me with a nose ring and a chain, so I guide pretty well.)

And the cigar price range works for me. In my experience, the less experienced the cigar smoker, the more they paid for the cigar! And I've still got lots of sticks I paid too much for! LOL :whistling:

As to you "old" guys doing the mentor thing... since this board is HUGE and has TONS of stuff, any shortcut links to relevant Howtos, FAQs, protocol threads, rules, general tribal knowledge, how to prep for our colonoscopy, etc. I'm sure would be appreciated for we young'ins!

If the truth be told we all have paid too much for some the 'gars we smoked. Don't worry about being led. This is the first pass for almost all of us here. We hope to learn from this one so that when one comes with more exotic cigars we have the experience under our belt to play.

As far as links go, read the threads posted on this Forum about old passes to give you an idea. What I learned so far by some of the posts above from the old timers here is tremendous. If this thing is set up right it should run smoothly assuming all follow the rules and stay on top of the pass as it moves. Good to have you aboard!!! :D

I'd like to play also.

Quade

He Burnt Tongue, jump on in. This will be fun!!

A list of people who will be in and a cap should be made. maybe 2 passes as it looks like a lot of intrest. Just my thoughts.

Gentlemen,

The consensus seems to raise the price of the sticks to anything $10 or less. LET'S GO FOR IT!! Protocol on cigar passes seems to be that you replace with an approximately equal value. I don't want this to be a restrictive protocol for this pass since we are not taking about expensive sticks here. If you see something you want to try, go for it and replace it with what you like to smoke. The primary purpose here is for us newbies to get a cigar pass under our belt and learn what the kinks are, and perhaps getting some smokes we haven't tried.

Tomthirtysix, you are in.

I hope we get a couple of old timers to join to guide and help us out. :D

"Protocol" in a pass is that you replace the stick you've taken with equal or better value. It's not supposed to be a "close enough" kind of thing. When in doubt it is always the norm that you leave it better than you got it. And if this is going to be a pass for newbies to learn how to do things right, then puts and takes need to be monitered so that no one slacks in their puts, then carries that aquired habit over to another pass, hence giving other pass hosts the headache of having to say No.

I thought about this some more, and I'm going to bow out of this. I'm already in several passes right now, two here and another elsewhere, plus I've been thinking about starting another one later this spring. I'm concerned about having too much on my plate and I hate to do anything half-assed, which would be what could happen when I don't have the time or patience left to deal with this. Good luck, and I still strongly suggest you consider finding someone to co-host right from the beginning that's been in a few passes and knows the drill.

I'll pass along just two cents.

Value:

I agree completely about the value and $5-$10/stick is a BARE minimum. It costs some money to send a package insured. If the cigars are too low a value it's just not worth the postage. Personally, if I ever do another pass, there has to be some cigars in it I REALLY want to try. So I think I'll enjoy this one vicariously. But I hope you all have fun! :thumbs:

Packaging:

I'll never forget receiving a pass and all these crystals(not beads even) spilled all over upon opening. :laugh:
The cigars were in a beat up bag with some Exquisicat in the BOX with the bag. (This was a winter pass when it's very dry outside.)

I went to a K-Mart and for less than $5 got a double-latching tupperdor that was the perfect size to hold the 50-70 cigars required, put in 1/8 lb of 65% beads in nylons, and suddenly we had a package that had little tare(light) and protected the cigars "exquisitely".

This package was lost for ten days in a warehouse at one point, went through 15 other participants and all the cigars came through fine. (Passes are more often done when the weather is optimum. This isn't an absolute;it just makes horse sense)

So get a small tupperdor. Preferably of good dimensions for shipping. My .02

I hope you all have lots of fun and your lessons are as painless as possible. :thumbs: