• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie Training Cigar Pass-- For February 07-

Whats everyone up to today?

I have taken the day off and glorious it is. The temp is in the high 50s and sunshine. Just hanging around the house being a post whore on CP! :rolleyes: Will have to do some work around the house shortly for the wife but in the mean time I am enjoying some cigars and coffee. :thumbs:

I have taken the day off and glorious it is. The temp is in the high 50s and sunshine. Just hanging around the house being a post whore on CP! :rolleyes: Will have to do some work around the house shortly for the wife but in the mean time I am enjoying some cigars and coffee. :thumbs:

Sounds good man! It is upper 70's in MISSOURI! Magnificant here, holding off until tonight to light some up. Trying to compete in tom's contest! Smokeriver got back to me, and the pass will be handed off today or tomorrow at his convience I will be delivering it by hand :) :thumbs:

Sounds good man! It is upper 70's in MISSOURI! Magnificant here, holding off until tonight to light some up. Trying to compete in tom's contest! Smokeriver got back to me, and the pass will be handed off today or tomorrow at his convience I will be delivering it by hand :) :thumbs:

Outstanding!!! Can't wait for Smoke River to post his Puts and Takes!! I do believe after him the Great State of Texas is next. :thumbs:

I'm doing a blind cigar review and some reading. Can't wait until the pass heads down to Texas.

The%20Catch%20Part%202.jpg

Trailing 27-21 to the Dallas Cowboys, the San Francisco 49ers took over the ball on their own 11-yard line with under five minutes to play. Quarterback Joe Montana methodically drove the 49ers down the field to eventually reach the Dallas 6-yard line with only 58 seconds remaining. Coach Bill Walsh decided to throw for the touchdown and picked a play that was intended to go to WR Freddie Soloman, with WR Dwight Clark as a secondary choice. Montana rolled to the right to avoid a heavy pass rush by the Dallas defenders. Running out of time, and not seeing Soloman open, Montana just three the ball up to the back of the endzone, where he knew from experience Clark should be. The throw was very high though. Clark leaped over DB Everson Walls to make "The Catch" giving the 49ers a 28-27 victory and a trip to the Super Bowl. Pictured above, quarterback Joe Montana avoiding the Dallas pass rush and Clark leaping high over Dallas' Everson Walls.

:cool:

Proposed Takes
5 Vegas Casket Strength, Toro
Tatuaje Havana VI Hermosos
Camacho Coyolar Titan

Puts
CAO 65th Anniversary Tonton
VSG Enchantment
Gurkha X Fuerte Torpedo Grande

Proposed Takes
5 Vegas Casket Strength, Toro
Tatuaje Havana VI Hermosos
Camacho Coyolar Titan

Puts
CAO 65th Anniversary Tonton
VSG Enchantment
Gurkha X Fuerte Torpedo Grande
Just to keep with what everybody is doing, could you put the MSRP by the puts and takes so everyone could see them. Thanks. Do you have the package yet?? :thumbs:

Proposed Takes
Camacho Coyolar Titan $5.50
Tatuaje Havana VI Hermosos $6.75
5 Vegas Casket Strength, Toro $6.00

Puts
CAO 65th Anniversary Tonton $6.75
VSG Enchantment $10.50
Gurkha X Fuerte Torpedo Grande $7.50

I don't have the box yet. Defetis didn't get a hold of me until 6 tonight and I work nights so I couldn't meet him in time. He said he will either drop it off tomorrow or put it in the mail.

OK... now for the contest. Inspired by the contests I saw going on in this pass, and the the Vieja Pass. The prize for this one will be a mixed fiver of some smokes that I have enjoyed.

Rules:
1. Starts now and ends Friday, March 16 at 1200 Eastern.
2. Open to all CP'ers.
3. One entry per poster (you'll see why only one a little further down)
4. I'll be the judge.
5. I can change the rules as needed at any time.

I want to see a picture that represents your greatest moment as a sports fan. Now, since it is supposed to be the greatest moment, each of you should have only one. No duplicates. If someone else before you has the same greatest moment, find another shot that represents it.

Now, don't let my sports allegiances influence you. The fact that I am a Mets fan doesn't mean I necessarily am looking for the picture of Jesse Orosco launching his glove in the air. The subject is kind of broad and left for your personal interpretation. And when I announce the winner, I'll post the picture that represents mine.

Good luck everyone!

Edit to add: Along with the pic, if it isn't obvious what exactly the moment is, maybe a sentence or two explaining it.

The countdown begins to the big winner!! Thanks Tomthirtysix for the contest and good luck to all the players!!! And who shall the lucky winner be?? :D

Proposed Takes

Puts
VSG Enchantment $10.50

I don't have the box yet. Defetis didn't get a hold of me until 6 tonight and I work nights so I couldn't meet him in time. He said he will either drop it off tomorrow or put it in the mail.

They look good to me!! After you get the box just confirm that these are your final choices. Thanks for playing!!

Also let us know when the box goes out and to whom so they can get ready!! :thumbs:

OK... as promised, here's a pic of my greatest moment as a sports fan.

134_3494.jpg

My son and I on the field at Shea Stadium, this past Father's Day. It was his first game. After the game there was the "DynaMets Dash" where the kids get to run around the bases and hi-5 Mr Met. But, if they're real young, the parents get to run the bases, too. Twenty years of going to Mets games, and I finally got to set foot on the field. And being that there's only two more seasons left in Shea, time was running out.

If any of you checked my profile, you'd have seen that I am a Mets, Buccaneers, and Magic fan. And, in my lifetime, I have gotten to see two of my teams win championships. (Even though for the Mets championship, I was too young to really appreciate it) I have seen All of my teams play for the title, and experienced a lot of ups and downs. But that day was something different. Beautiful weather, a David Wright Grand Slam (that I knew he was going to hit, and grabbed my camera to try and get a shot of him swinging, but I was fumbling with the camera, and he took the first pitch deep), and then finally stepping on the Warning Track out in CF. From there we walked down to 1B, around the bases, crossed Home, then up the 3B foul line and out through the bullpen. And I never would have been able to do it without him.

When I started the contest, I was actually hoping for something along these lines... a more "personal" experience. And I know for all of you that posted pictures the moments you put were extremely personal. Believe me, I know. I was at NLCS Game 7 this past year. As a fanatic, I know what kind of emotion goes into sports (if you're anywhere nearly as sick as I am).

So, with that being said, I chose Boogs34 as the winner. It's probably the one record that will never be broken (assuming Bonds doesn't get arrested within the next 3 months). Great job with the pic, and the description, Boogs. PM me with your addy, and the package will probably go out on Monday.

And, so you all don't have to go looking for his post, here it is:
I'm not in this pass, but have been following it. But, I will toot in and give you my greatest moment as a sports fan.

I'm a Washington sports fan residing nearby in Maryland. I grew up as a Baltimore Orioles fan, however, even though they were 1 city away. Football (NFL) is by far my favorite sport. But I cannot define 1 football moment that was a greater moment (banner falling) on me than Cal Ripken breaking the consecutive games streak on September 6, 1995. Although I did not attend the record breaking game in person, I did attend the a game in the previous home series so I was right there at the time, and of course watched the game live. I was an impressionable 12 years old. Cal Ripken was and continues to be a living legend Maryland. He is what Larry Bird is to Boston. He is what Mike Ditka is to Chicago. Adding to Cal's legend he was born and raised in Maryland as well. When leaving Maryland towards Pennsylvania on 95N to Philadelphia / NYC, all you will see are baseball stadiums bearing his name in the image of Camden Yards.

I guess my point in the backstory is this. Although, I consider myself a Washingtonian, I am a Baltimore Orioles fan who grew up following an athlete that we can all look up to with pride. He is a man who works a lot for the young people of the community, who never cheated, and just went in every day doing his job the best he could. His work off the field rivals that which he did on the field, and in this era of sports (nay, in this era that which we live in today) sincerely needs more athletes (nay, people) like him.

Now I'll let wikipedia describe that night.
On September 6, 1995, many baseball fans within and out of the United States tuned in to cable TV network ESPN to watch Ripken surpass Lou Gehrig's 56-year-old record for consecutive games played. The event still ranks as one of the network's most watched baseball games ever. Cal's children, Rachel and Ryan, threw out the ceremonial first balls. When the game became official in the bottom of the fifth inning, the numerical banners that displayed Ripken's streak on the wall of the B&O Warehouse outside the stadium's right field wall changed from 2130 to 2131. Everyone attending (including the opposing Angels and all four umpires) erupted with a standing ovation lasting over 22 minutes, one of the longest standing ovations for any athlete. During the ovation, Cal also did a lap around the entire Camden Yards warning track to shake hands and give high-fives to the fans. ESPN never went to a commercial break during the entire ovation. In the game, Ripken went 2 for 4, hitting a home run and a double in the game. Mike Mussina recorded the win. Ripken's home run was hit to a seat (now marked in the stadium) in his 2130th consecutive game. He had previously hit a home-run in 1993 to the exact same seat to break Ernie Banks' record for most home-runs by a shortstop.[8]
So he broke the record. The banner fell, which gives me goosebumps, and is precisely the greatest sports moment of my life.
The 22 minute ovation was spontaneous and unplanned, and included President Clinton and VP Gore. It was unreal to watch - I can only imagine being there - because a few games earlier the excitement and cheers of the crowd was impressive enough.
He hit a homerun in the record tying and breaking game.

I guess instead of explaining it all I'll just show you this swing during that game...
HOFM-0001med.jpg

Sweet moment Tom, the only sports moment that i've experienced that has stuck in my mind is watching the Odessa Jackalopes v. Lubbock Armadillos? hockey game about a month ago and a rampaging puck nailing my friend in the chest. Not one of the greatest moments, but none the less interesting. Also, congrats to Boogs on winning, I remember watching that moment with my dad.

Congratulatiions to Boogs on the win!! Thanks Tomthirtysix for running the contest. It was great fun and a way for us to get to know each other!! :thumbs: :cool:

Great story Tom. All of my teams suck, and are several states away at the least, so I'm jealous.

Amazing story bro!!!
Great picture also!!! :thumbs:

Thanks for the contest, and a big congrats to Boogs as well!!! :thumbs:

Thank you for the contest Tom! I very much enjoyed writing it, and appreciate the generosity! I am a big sports fan, and this is one of those things I never really think about - greatest sports moment - and was glad to figure it out for myself.

Proposed Takes

Puts
VSG Enchantment $10.50

The box should be moving soon to Texas.

Smoke River and Defetis, let us know where the box is and when it will be moving. Thanks for playing!! Also make sure to let the next recipient know so he can be ready!! :cool: