• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Nicotine Sickness

Oh yeah, you're not too far at all. I pass by Patterson on Highway 5 whenever I head down to Los Banos to smoke with my cousins. It's good to hear from another BOTL in the area!

Which B&M's are you going to? I'm buying mostly online but I've been to...
John T's in the Modesto Mall.... doubt I'll ever go again
Cheroot in Modesto.... kind of too nice. May go back for some drinks and a smoke, but I won't buy stuff there often.
Bevmo in Modesto... I go there for liquor so I always pick up a few sticks since they have a "buy 4 get 5th for 5 cents" deal.
Circle D Liquors in Turlock..... small selection but best prices for sticks I've seen.

I've read about places in Merced and Pleasenton but I haven't been.

george

SUGAR man, it knocks it out, that or gatorade. Something with sugar will take care of ya for sure. I got the headswims not to long ago for the first time and couldn't lay down to go to bed. The whole room was spinning so I feel for ya.

I haven't gone to any around here. All of my shopping has been online, and the only B&M I have gone to was the Morgan Hill Tobacco Company in downtown Morgan Hill (directly south of San Jose).

I've had it happen to me too. 1st time was a Chateau Fuente Sungrown. The last time it was a LFD El Jocko maduro. Each time was on an empty stomach.

TampaSupremo

Edited for politeness.

Nicotine sensitivity is different for everybody. Cigarette smokers seem to be able to tolerate really strong cigars...I even know one guy that inhales his cigars! Guys that smoke a lot (1+/day) also seem to have developed a tolerance for it. I'm still pretty sensitive to the "nic-kick" but I don't smoke that much (2 or 3 per week max, sometimes only 1). Since I've been smoking cigars regularly, my sensitivity to nicotine has increased. Cigars I used to be able to smoke, now really kick my butt, so I've gravitated to the milder smokes. It's possible to find some very good cigars that have lots of flavor but aren't that strong nicotine-wise.

Lots of cigar makers roll the stronger nicotine leaves in the last 1/3 of the cigar. When I feel the nic-buzz starting, I just stop smoking the cigar. Normally, this means I smoke about 1/2 or 2/3rds of the cigar. As the boys at DogWatch like to say I "Cigar Dave" it. According to Zino Davidoff, a gentleman only smokes 1/2 of a cigar anyway.

I think a lot of it is body chemistry and tolerance. Somedays I have more tolerance than others. A full meal helps, but I still feel the strong cigars. Eating something sweet helps, but isn't a full cure for me. Time is really thing that makes it go away.

For the most part, putting the cigar down when the buzz starts is the best thing.

I saw pepin black label... but this is the 601 label, haven't tried it yet.

I've gotten my ass kicked everytime I've smoke a DPG cuban classic black label out of my box, they taste amazing, but damn does it take me out for the next hour. I'll have to try ingesting sugar next time.

I haven't gone to any around here. All of my shopping has been online, and the only B&M I have gone to was the Morgan Hill Tobacco Company in downtown Morgan Hill (directly south of San Jose).

http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/uploads/cms...promotions.html

There is some sort of event at a Pleasenton shop on June 28th that I'm thinking about going to.

george

One of my first sticks was a 5 Vegas Gold torpedo. I smoked it on an empty stomach. Ended up talking to the porcelin princess. Eating something light before hand and something sweet to drink is great advice.

I never made the call over the porcelain phone, but early in my cigar career, of all things, a CAO Criollo laid me out. I mean.....damn. I had to lay down and just sweated like a race horse on a hot day for about half an hour.

.....I related this story to some guys at the Vegas herf and Atuck pointed out the reason I got sick was "....it was just a shitty cigar...". Could be..... :laugh:

Cheers - B.B.S.

my wife thinks i'm weird, but I stockpile those honey-straws (a sealed plastic drinking straw filled with honey) and use them for times when a buzz starts to turn south for me.

The last thing that put the hurt on me was a Conoju 2003 a few weeks back. Hot-damn that was a strong fucker.

Well, it's refreshing to see some of you FOG's still get a little qweesy every now and then.

I know the feeling... Happened to me once when I smoked my first "power ranger". Great cigar, but don't smoke it on an empty stomach. If you can't down sugar, drink some soda or iced tea w/ sugar. That'll help.

I haven't had the pleasure of "nic sick". :thumbs:
I usually smoke them to the nub. Unless there
not very good cigars.

Great topic.

I have also been a frequent sufferer of "Cuban Vertigo". everyone has a different tolerance to nicotine. I am a lightwieght. I go to a HERF and stop at two cigars, unless I feel the unfriendly feeling from my first.

Sugar helps, having a meal helps too, but speaking for me, sometimes it just grabs you. It's wierd, I've had strong double coronas that didn't bother me and then on a different day I am laid out by petite corona.

Last actual "loss of my lunch" was from an 8-5-8 SG. Great cigar................................lousy "finish", LOL

It is always good to carry around some packets of sugar, especially at herfs. I can't remeber what the last one was that gave me that "buzz" feeling but once I noticed is starting to set in I had a spoon full of sugar and all was well in about 15 minutes.

Modesto is not too far from Fresno... You should check out Cigar Mas Fino. Very nice lounge with a bar and the most exclusive cigars in the valley, maybe all of Northern California. PM me if you need the address or more info.
Oh yeah, you're not too far at all. I pass by Patterson on Highway 5 whenever I head down to Los Banos to smoke with my cousins. It's good to hear from another BOTL in the area!

John T's in the Modesto Mall.... doubt I'll ever go again
Cheroot in Modesto.... kind of too nice. May go back for some drinks and a smoke, but I won't buy stuff there often.
Bevmo in Modesto... I go there for liquor so I always pick up a few sticks since they have a "buy 4 get 5th for 5 cents" deal.
Circle D Liquors in Turlock..... small selection but best prices for sticks I've seen.

I've read about places in Merced and Pleasenton but I haven't been.

george

Modesto is not too far from Fresno... You should check out Cigar Mas Fino. Very nice lounge with a bar and the most exclusive cigars in the valley, maybe all of Northern California. PM me if you need the address or more info.

I don't get to fresno often but if I do I'll check it out.

george

Yikes, I got VERY sick the first time I smoked a cigar. Dizzy, cold sweats, palpitations -- the whole 9 yards.

However, after reading everyone else's replies, I seem to have gotten hit especially hard. I felt some of the effects for a good 2-3 days after smoking it!! Too weird. :laugh: