• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Noobish perceptions/misconceptions.

I used to gravitate toward 52-54 ring gauges exclusively, and thought bigger = better, stronger, cooler burn, etc.

Now I love the corona gorda size. SO much tastier.

~Boar

Speaking of that, I only used to like 50-60 ring gauge cigars because I thought they had more flavor. Then, I found the robusto and the Opus PL.

I used to gravitate toward 52-54 ring gauges exclusively, and thought bigger = better, stronger, cooler burn, etc.

~Boar

Ditto on this...

I've found I tend more towards smaller rings and shorter smokes just 'cause I don't usually have 2 hours to enjoy a smoke.

Edit to add: You'll also find your palate changes over time. And as it matures, you will find you now like some sticks you never cared for, and vice versa.

G-

I too used to think gas station cigars were cool, a cigar is a cigar right, well I had one swisher sweet, flicked the ash and the thing snapped in half, that was the last one I ever had. I also used to hate Padrons because the first one made me throw up, I know love them and just had my first 1964 last weekend.

I used to think there were was no such thing as bad cegars, then I had a Garcia Vega that reminded me of getting a bar of soap stuck in my mouth as a child.

I also used to think a cigar would taste the same all dried out

I used to think bigger and thicker was better. But , my wife says that's not the case and not to worry.

Good, glad it's not just my wife that thinks that ;)

I once thought that Cuban cigars were rolled on the thighs of nubile virgins... come to find out, it wasn't a misconception at all! They actually are!!!

...and they got weed in 'em.

:laugh:

haha I actually had a buddy try to tell me that the other day.

Add another onto the bigger=better and darker=stronger category. :(

And add another corona gorda fan onto the lesson learned pile! :thumbs:

-John

I thought I knew everything, I now realize that I know nothing! Educate yourself to the point of passion. Passion is why we all enjoy cigars. Smoke what you enjoy and enjoy what you smoke. Take recommendations but don't let someone tell you that what you enjoy is not good. I may not like it but you could. That's why they make so many. Hell, I just smoke cigars because they make me look cool :p

I used to think bigger and thicker was better. But , my wife says that's not the case and not to worry.

Wives are always nice like that...you just hope they aren't going to the highlight reel when it comes time!

1 more in the, "thought a darker wrapper meant a stronger cigar" camp.

I also used to think that the only difference between vitolas was how much time you had/wanted to smoke. In other words, if you didn't have too much time to smoke, go with a robusto. If you had all the time in the world, grab a Churchill. Had no idea it affected the flavor.

Now I need to get over my dislike for Oliva cigars, because my first one made me terribly nauseous. I know I should just suck it up and give them another chance.

1 more in the, "thought a darker wrapper meant a stronger cigar" camp.

I also used to think that the only difference between vitolas was how much time you had/wanted to smoke. In other words, if you didn't have too much time to smoke, go with a robusto. If you had all the time in the world, grab a Churchill. Had no idea it affected the flavor.

Now I need to get over my dislike for Oliva cigars, because my first one made me terribly nauseous. I know I should just suck it up and give them another chance.

Same thing happened to me with Pardon's and I am VERY happy that I ended up giving them another shot.

~Boar
Amen, brother! It's a great compromise between more wrapper ratio and still a decent size. I like PCs more now than I did in the beginning, too.

~Boar

Speaking of that, I only used to like 50-60 ring gauge cigars because I thought they had more flavor. Then, I found the robusto and the Opus PL.
I was of the same opinion(misguided notion) a few years ago that bigger was better. Now I've gravitated toward robusto or corona size cigars and enjoy them more.

Although still a noob I think the biggest thing I have gotten over is Humidor Anal Retentivenss Syndrom. My cigars will not spontaneously combust if my temperature goes up a couple of degrees. Mold will not spring forth in the hour that my humidity goes up a couple of points. Little beetles will not eat my entire stash if I do not open the humidor once an hour although they will get me if I sleep ???

I used to think certain brands *coughgurkhacough* were good cigars too. I also thought the same about the ring gauges (bigger = longer) and nothing else. Education is key! Smoking different cigars and more often is also key to learning what you like.

I used to think certain brands *coughgurkhacough* were good cigars too. I also thought the same about the ring gauges (bigger = longer) and nothing else. Education is key! Smoking different cigars and more often is also key to learning what you like.

Hey now, you're going after my favorite brand. ;) J/k but seriously, I've been able to enjoy two or three of their models. I think they are as hit-and-miss as CAO, IMHO.

Another misconception I had recently dispelled due to the smart folks and their smart threads here at CP, is that "powdery" cigars (bloom) are not lower quality cigars and "shiny" cigars are better. AFAICT, neither shiny nor dullness or bloom has an impact on whether a cigar will be tasty in a blind test.

I used to think cheap cigars like swisher sweets and white owls were the best cigars, then I tried a Romeo y Julieta 1875 Bully. Haven't smoked a non-hand-rolled cigar since.
I used to think lighting with a BIC was acceptable, then I tried lighting up with matches.
I used to only smoke while I drove, then I tried smoking in a relaxed enviroment.
I used to think keeping my cigars in the fridge would keep my cigars fresh, then I got a humidor.
I used to think short, small ring gauge cigars were not worth it, then I tried a Davidoff Classic Ambassadrice.
I used to think smoking cigars was just about looking classy.

I have quite a few aparently