• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Noobish perceptions/misconceptions.

I used to think cheap cigars like swisher sweets and white owls were the best cigars, then I tried a Romeo y Julieta 1875 Bully. Haven't smoked a non-hand-rolled cigar since.

Heh heh heh . . . the Bully was ALL I smoked for years! My first step up from drugstore gars too! :thumbs:

~Boar

I used to think Curly Heads were the most delicious cigar ever... Yeah I was quickly proved wrong and I'm glad I was!!! :laugh: :blush: :thumbs:

Best lesson to learn as a noob is don't over think things. Everything. It's supposed to be a relaxing activity. Not a "oh crap, do I leave the cello on or take it off?!" freak-out fest.

Also, all the eager beaver questions that we all seem to ask when we sign up on this forum are somewhere in the archives. About 99% of these questions have been asked or covered in conversation before. Go back and read more. Have patience, the answers are out there.

*cue x-files theme*

BR

Great post. As a noob myself, the search function is invaluable.

As for my own misconceptions... I used to belive that swisher sweets were good cigars. I also used to think that cigars that had fancy packaging were better. :rolleyes: Glad I'm past that!

So Dirty- do you have like 5 big ugly white Stradivarius humis and a couple Red Soprano's humis at home then??? :D

I used to feel that I was an idiot if my store recommended a stick to me and I hated it- that I must be an idiot for not seeing what was great about that stick. To the tune of I'd buy several more and have the same experience before stopping. Now I know better and know to trust my palate and tell him what I did and didn't like about the stick. It helped him (and I) to find the cigars I truly liked.

I find that even after 11 yrs into my addiction that I still get excited like a little school boy every time I get a new cigar I haven't tried into my humi. I have a hard time waiting for them to settle from shipment before smoking them.

I also am lucky that I had good friends at my first local shop that beat it into my skull that like others in this link have said:
A- More money doesn't mean better flavor or experience
B- Flashy rings and pretty boxes don't either
(Thank you Jeff and Bill for saving me from the PAIN!) ((and my wallet)) ;)

If I had a dollar for every time a guy walked in the B&M and said "What's the most expensive cigar you have?" I'd be retired by now ...lol

I used to think that big online retailers had the best prices.

Exactly that! Since being on CP, I've transgressed into purposely buying from vendors (locally and on CP) that I've formed a relationship with. Didn't even realize that until your post LongDraw
thumbs-up.gif

Exactly that! Since being on CP, I've transgressed into purposely buying from vendors (locally and on CP) that I've formed a relationship with. Didn't even realize that until your post LongDraw
thumbs-up.gif

How much savings are we talking about though? Do you have to buy a metric crapload like four boxes or is it strictly the vendor hooking you up with hard to find cigars at a reasonable price after you build a relationship with regular stuff?

thumbs-up.gif

How much savings are we talking about though? Do you have to buy a metric crapload like four boxes or is it strictly the vendor hooking you up with hard to find cigars at a reasonable price after you build a relationship with regular stuff?
I don't worry about price or HTF anymore. The best thing for me is calling a retailer and saying "send me $100 worth of smokes. You know what I like." :) Try that with CI.

John

thumbs-up.gif

If we're only using $'s as the main point, just the shipping costs. I used to wait until something I wanted had free shipping, then buy all I wanted. Nothing wrong with that in my book. However, since the days of SCHIP and the CRA came along, I want to help keep small businesses alive and since I've gotten to know them, my dollars became priceless to that effect.

I used to think many things about cigars which after being here and reading the knowledge getting tossed around and then experiencing it for myself, that they were all untrue.

I also thought that women weren't into cigars but after seeing some of the female members posting and also some fine photos :blush: that YES attractive and smart women dig cigars...very cool.

I used to think there were was no such thing as bad cegars, then I had a Garcia Vega that reminded me of getting a bar of soap stuck in my mouth as a child.

I also used to think a cigar would taste the same all dried out

I used to think bigger and thicker was better. But , my wife says that's not the case and not to worry.

Good, glad it's not just my wife that thinks that ;)

I once thought that Cuban cigars were rolled on the thighs of nubile virgins... come to find out, it wasn't a misconception at all! They actually are!!!

...and they got weed in 'em.

:laugh:

haha I actually had a buddy try to tell me that the other day.

My girlfriend tried to stop me from smoking a cuban cigar before I had dinner with my coworkers because she didn't want me to be high in front of them. I didn't know that this was a common misconception, so I gave her a confused look. Her response was, "That's why they're illegal right? Because they have pot in them?"

I also used to think that the only difference between vitolas was how much time you had/wanted to smoke. In other words, if you didn't have too much time to smoke, go with a robusto. If you had all the time in the world, grab a Churchill. Had no idea it affected the flavor.

Haha, how silly of you! ha ha... ha...

<gulp> :blush:

It does?

Ill have to say I used to obesess over Temp/RH till I got my vinodor and crystals. Now its pretty rock solid. The wife actually checks on it more than I do now!

I still dont do light wrappers, ive just never gotten much flavor out of them. However I found that not all Maduros are flavorfull.

That 5 Vegas cigars are just as good as RyJ. I have a good number of them from samplers that I keep around only for those who dont appreciate good cigars. RjY aint high tea at the 4 seasons but its a damn sight better than the cincos

Only the big names matter. Yeah, you get on here and there are about 10 cigars that are heavily touted...the Opus line being the most often. While im sure they are good, there are all kinds of small name brands that are a great smoke that you never see on here. 2 of my favorites are the Quintero Maduro and Mi Dominica. You dont have to smoke what everyone else is smoking.

I dont know why but I wasnt very big into punching for the longest time. Now the only time I dont is when im smoking a torp/pyr.

I could go on and on, just the few off the top of my head.

I used to think that if a box of CC were around $150/box, they were immediately fake. They might be fake, but you can still get a real box for that price.

So Dirty- do you have like 5 big ugly white Stradivarius humis and a couple Red Soprano's humis at home then??? :D

Nope, could never afford them thankfully. I used to have a pretty nice collection of tubos though.

Another on of my misconceptions early on was that a humidor needed to be expensive to be good. Glad I read up about them here before taking that plunge! My coolidors are working out great.

I find that even after 11 yrs into my addiction that I still get excited like a little school boy every time I get a new cigar I haven't tried into my humi. I have a hard time waiting for them to settle from shipment before smoking them.

Thank GOD this feeling does not pass. I do not know if I could justify it otherwise...

Thank GOD this feeling does not pass. I do not know if I could justify it otherwise...
Yeah- I can't explain it to the wife she doesn't get it...I'm the same way with Single Malt and Single Batch Bourbons.... I don't have AVB's patience!!

I used to think that cigar smoke smelled really good and tasted okay (thanks to swisher sweets and drugstore crap like that). Now it's the other way around, they taste great and smell okay.