• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Proposal for a Rule Change

Just wanted to mention that I staged an auction a while ago (can't remember exactly when) with little or no complaint. So while it may be true that I'm not privy to certain discussions that go in in private here, no reasonable person could expect me to somehow know that the "unspoken rules" had changed.

So quit it with all the "get it" stuff.

Lumberg said:
Just wanted to mention that I staged an auction a while ago (can't remember exactly when) with little or no complaint.
I performed a simple search for the term "auction" made by user "Lumberg".
The results can be seen here:
http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...ighlite=auction

Strange - I don't see any other auctions started by you. Perhaps I used the wrong term, can you please provide a link to your previous auction?

Thanks,
Dave

DaveWF said:
Lumberg said:
Just wanted to mention that I staged an auction a while ago (can't remember exactly when) with little or no complaint. 
I performed a simple search for the term "auction" made by user "Lumberg".
The results can be seen here:
http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...ighlite=auction

Strange - I don't see any other auctions started by you. Perhaps I used the wrong term, can you please provide a link to your previous auction?

Thanks,
Dave
Wow, I forgot how much fun it was for people....and I definitely ran it wrong. And yes one person did make a comment.

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...=hemingway&st=0

Ahhhh, I stand corrected. I was searching for the term "Auction" when, in fact, you never actually used that term.

My bad.
Dave

Lumby's got a point, he ran an auction here last November and no one said anything (unless they PM'd him and suggested that auctions are frowned upon here).

Some sites have specific rules banning auctions while others do not. I think a civil discussion on whether to ban auctions here or not would have been more appropriate rather than jumping all over Lumberg right from the get-go especially considering these two facts:

1. Auctions have been run here before with virtually no objection.
2. At the moment, there are no specific rules banning auctions.

Oh, just a hint, never use the word "herf" at the CigarWise site, you'll get your head ripped off. :0 Keeping in the spirit of the "Friendliest Cigar Site..." I'd like to see the "flame" setting set a just little lower here;)

Oh, for what it's worth, I'm indifferent on the whole subject of banning auctions. If I or any other member does not want to part take in someone's potentially for-profit auction then I/they can choose to not participate. But if Rod wants to implement such a policy, it's his decision.

Looks like semi-popular idea of banning "political" sig tags never made it anywhere....

coventrycat86 said:
Lumby's got a point, he ran an auction here last November and no one said anything (unless they PM'd him and suggested that auctions are frowned upon here).

Some sites have specific rules banning auctions while others do not. I think a civil discussion on whether to ban auctions here or not would have been more appropriate rather than jumping all over Lumberg right from the get-go especially considering these two facts:

1. Auctions have been run here before with virtually no objection.
2. At the moment, there are no specific rules banning auctions.

Oh, just a hint, never use the word "herf" at the CigarWise site, you'll get your head ripped off. :0 Keeping in the spirit of the "Friendliest Cigar Site..." I'd like to see the "flame" setting set a just little lower here;)

Oh, for what it's worth, I'm indifferent on the whole subject of banning auctions. If I or any other member does not want to part take in someone's potentially for-profit auction then I/they can choose to not participate. But if Rod wants to implement such a policy, it's his decision.

Looks like semi-popular idea of banning "political" sig tags never made it anywhere....
Bill has said it well. Whether or not a person choses to hold an auction, no one is forced to participate. If the powers that be would like to make a rule, than so be it.

The personal attack was not warranted at all, and was totally out of line.
A simple pm to Lumby would have been sufficient in this case imho.

I would like to see an apology to Lumby in regards to the "p.o.s." reference.

John V.

What sux about Opus being sold around here is that you sign-up to be notified when they come in. If your not "A" list you get notified after they are gone. Like I have been twice now. One shop here even holds them seperate and your only told if you are a super regular big spender.
Luckily I have been given Opus as lottery wins and a bomb from members here. If I'd never had them before I'd try to win an auction anywhere, even with the better chances here than an E-Bay where you get outbid in the last seconds.

I'd rather they be offered here to "brothers" than an unknown buyer on a million person auction site. At least you can bank on they have been cared for correctly and you will get them intact in a timely manner.

IF EVERYBODY HAS A PROBLEM WITH WHAT LUMBERG MAKES OFF THE AUCTION, I'LL MATCH IT AND DONATE TO JOHNS HOPKINS CHILDRENS HOSPITAL HERE IN BALTIMORE .

Lumberg, pm me when its over so I can donate.

Triple_D said:
I always thought it was one of those unspoken rules. It is definately not in the best interest of CP to have auctions. Keep those to the auction sites.
I agree with this.

All someone needs to do is post an ISO:, of wait for a F/S F/T post to come up to get what they would like, or even just PM some of us.

:thumbs:

Beefcube said:
I'd rather they be offered here to "brothers" than an unknown buyer on a million person auction site. At least you can bank on they have been cared for correctly and you will get them intact in a timely manner.

IF EVERYBODY HAS A PROBLEM WITH WHAT LUMBERG MAKES OFF THE AUCTION, I'LL MATCH IT AND DONATE TO JOHNS HOPKINS CHILDRENS HOSPITAL HERE IN BALTIMORE .

Lumberg, pm me when its over so I can donate.
That was my thinking, I knew I was likely to make less money by selling them here with a limited number of people bidding vs. everyone on yahoo!. I like doing transactions with people on here rather than the internet at large, with people on here being able to trust that I took care of them and the possibility of not having to wait for payment before shipping them out, etc. Heck let's say you had won them we could have met up and had a herf...personal delivery of the sticks!

Having an auction here is like a "middle ground" between selling then at a fixed price and auctioning them on yahoo!

Funny, the reason I chose to auction the sticks on here is the whole trust and community aspect of the site, the very thing my detractors are accusing me of violating.

Anyways thanks for the support but a) the auction has been canceled and b) even if it were still going I think any potential participants have been scared off.

Beefcube,

The problem I have with this post is that as was stated above, if you really want some Opus', all you have to do is post an ISO and your brothers will help you out. I'm on a list at a local shop where they call you on Monday evening and tell you to call tuesday morning b/w 9 and 10 and if you get through then you can buy some. Only problem is, I never get though. But a while ago, someone posted that they could get almost all of the opus they ant at their local store for reasonable proces....so he picked me some up and I sent him the $$ for them.

My biggest problem with auctions is that the seller is doing so in order to maximize the price at which the item is sold. Saying that you are holding an auction because that way, the person who wants the item the most will get it, isn't really true. What if I really really want it, more than anyone else, but I can't afford to pay more than 3 other people. Who is to say that just becuase you can afford to pay more than anyone else means that you want an item the most?

more to come later...to many thoughts going through my head at once to put down now...

Funny, the reason I chose to auction the sticks on here is the whole trust and community aspect of the site, the very thing my detractors are accusing me of violating.

I agree we have no reason for Auctions on this site except for charity.

Some of yall need to really step back and think....... the concept of offering it in the community is great. If that is the intent then set your price and sell them. Why auction them unless you are trying to profit from it. Don't throw up the "I want everyone to have a chance" BS...... That is pathetic!

Whats sad is how so many of you run to defend this crap. The original intent of the auction in question was to make a profit (regardless of the backpeddling thats being done now) which would have been at the expense of a fellow CPer. It is not wanted nor needed here.

I read the previous auction he had some time ago and cringed. I never saw that post before but it almost made me puke to read. The continued post talking the cigars up like they were the Holy Grail was for one purpose and one purpose only and it wasn't because of the thoughtfulness of wanting to "share" them with a fellow CPer. Totally not in the spirit of this BB.

Never mind my previously edited message, I've had too much coffee today. ???

coventrycat86 said:
but-got-wmd-225.gif

Nice to see no one takes anything tooo seriously around here..... :D :D :D So freaking what if Lumby sold cigars for a profit or to fund terrorism around the world or what the heck ever...I thought this thread was about to auction or not to auction on CP..I think voting was fairly lopsided to not have them...Maybe some more of that brotherhood stuff and less of the fatherhood stuff would be more in order, but don't let anything thing get in the way of flaming someone.....or not!!

gr8full2day said:
So freaking what if Lumby sold cigars for a profit or to fund terrorism around the world or what the heck ever...
If that is a question then you really didn't read any of the responses. Its been said many times why its bad form to sell your cigars here on CP for a profit at the expense of a fellow CPer. You want to make money on your cigars...go to yahoo or any other BB that supports it.

I suppose some people will never get it......... :lookup:

Don't get your panties in a bunch there Gr8ful........

Funny how you seem to roll in to defend the ones who will never get it though.... :D

I was just suggestion maybe time to move on..I get that selling here for profit is distasteful, but it still happens from several members...I simply suggested a different tactic to an agreeably distasteful practice....I wasn't trying to defend anyone specifically..sorry to have re-ruffled the FOGs chain as it were.... :D :D I am just freaking glad to be here!!

No ruffled feathers here...... a passion to try and keep integrity at a higher level.