• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quad State Herf II @ Schlesingers Cigar Bar

Sounded like it was a great time! :thumbs: Sorry to have missed it. Perhaps I can jigger my schedule to allow a weekend visit up to the city this spring.

Wilkey

Post #4,000

Yeah, right. After kid numero dos, we won't be seeing you for at least a couple more springs...

x2

x3

Edit to add: I'm actually waiting on word from Sam (Strayvector). Poor guy has been stuck working all day. If any of you sick in the head New Yorkers wanna meet us, we are planning to hit Merchants East as soon as he's done. Apparently they are open until 4am!

Tonight?

Edit to add: I'm actually waiting on word from Sam (Strayvector). Poor guy has been stuck working all day. If any of you sick in the head New Yorkers wanna meet us, we are planning to hit Merchants East as soon as he's done. Apparently they are open until 4am!

Tonight?

Yep, although he just called and said things aren't looking too good. Apparently they are struggling with technical issues and the end doesn't appear near. I have the day off tomorrow, so I'm willing to pull a late one if need be... :D

Tonight?

Yep, although he just called and said things aren't looking too good. Apparently they are struggling with technical issues and the end doesn't appear near. I have the day off tomorrow, so I'm willing to pull a late one if need be... :D

Quad State Herf II part deux.

Sounded like it was a great time! :thumbs: Sorry to have missed it. Perhaps I can jigger my schedule to allow a weekend visit up to the city this spring.

Wilkey

Post #4,000

Yeah, right. After kid numero dos, we won't be seeing you for at least a couple more springs...

x2
2x3 for me, but those days were well spent and behind me now. I understand where cigars have to be in the order of things in their time. Ohh....

Sucks to be you.

Ok...Yesterday was a travel day with limited internet access. We are now in Suffield, CT visiting Merry's folks for a couple of days. I'm up early (breakfast is at 8 - we're staying at B&B) so time to get the picture post going!

First - Did we have big fun? Yes we did! Merry was amazed how friendly everybody was and how lots of folks had paid attention to the postings and knew we had come in from Florida, etc. It was more like meeting old friends than meeting new friends. We really enjoyed ourselves.

On Charlie's recommendation, we stayed here, at the Day's Inn...it's short on amenities but is very convienent.
standard.jpg

We flew in Friday and I got up early Sat and walked around outside a bit. Here's a pic from Sat morning:
standard.jpg

That's my new winter coat I bought just for this trip. I had thrown my old one out..Who needs a winter coat in Florida?

Out the backwindow of our room...not sure what is up with this, but thought it interesting that the hotel has so many cars in the parking lot that don't move much...
standard.jpg

We did some shopping Saturday morning and had some lunch. 2:00pm came around pretty quick and it was time to Herf. Here's the place:
standard.jpg

Here's the front door:
standard.jpg

And just off to the side, but attached to the building is this:
standard.jpg

I like this place already!

Just inside and we run into my old buddy Charlie. Haven't seen him since he moved away from the Orlando area a couple of years ago. We shake hands, Merry gets a hug and then I see that he's standing in front of this giant pile of cigar stuff.....
standard.jpg

All the raffle and door prizes:
standard.jpg

The grand prize...
standard.jpg

Charlie gives us our hats and our free stash of cigars. We do nametags for ourselves and head for the bar. On the way we run into HudsonValley and he "returns" Merry's cigar from last year (Padron 1926)....Merry's ready for her first smoke of the Herf and I'm digging in the goodie bag. We managed to get one sparked up and here we are, ready to par-tay!
standard.jpg

continued...

We mill around a bit and Charlie's brother Frank (Big100HD) zero's in on Merry and puts her right to work for the welcoming committee. She's filling out nametags, helping with the raffle tickets, laughing and joking with all the folks as they come in...Just like Merry, we've been here 5 minutes and she is already having fun.
standard.jpg

I wonder around, met a whole bunch of people in real life, that I only know by their online CP name. Within minute or two they recognize me as "the guy from Florida" or "you are the one that made that ashtray", which is immediately followed by "Hey, I've got something for you"...I think I left that night with 40 cigars! I was going to pack my giant cigar caddy, but with all the stuff I was bringing, it just seemed like too much....so I wasn't able to reciprocate properly during the Herf, but while I was stashing my cigars in my goodie bag, I was also sending myself a text message or two....I got all your names....we'll see about that after I get home.

Some time goes by...I discover that the bar has Guiness on draught...that is some good beer! Here's a pic of the Herf in full swing:
standard.jpg

There were some more folks behind me and sitting down just out of frame on the right. By now, Merry, although still in the minority, is joined by maybe 8 or 10 other women....Most of them smoking a cigar! Merry has 3 brothers and has always had more fun "hanging out with the boys"....

Here is the back porch...looks like a great place to spend a summer evening.
standard.jpg

Right around 4, Charlie starts giving away the door prizes.
standard.jpg

Merry wins one of those capsules where you can carry lighter on the plane.
standard.jpg

I get HumidiPuck (from Mark at Cigarmony) for my "bag o'goodies" and a CigarPass hat (thanks Rod!).

Later, when they start calling numbers for the raffle, they ask Merry to be "ticket girl" and she gets to pick the tickets out of the cigar box. Of course, all the guys are now yelling her name whenever something good comes up for raffle (which is everything!). I'm thinking by the end of the night everybody is going to know me as "Merry's husband" :laugh:
standard.jpg

After the raffle and another beer, Merry and I go next door for dinner. We have some soup, a salad, we split a porterhouse (Merry adds a lobster tail)...the meal is excelent and I am totally stuffed. We head back to the bar for some more herf fun. The party has thinned out some but is still going strong. We have more fun talking cigars, watches, kids, racing....the conversation is easy, the cigars are good and I switch to drinking Fonseca Port. Before the night is done, we get a few more pictures, but by now I'm having trouble keeping track of the camera....
standard.jpg

And before the night ends, one last one of us with the master of ceremonies himself:
standard.jpg

We manage to hang on until almost 11. That's 9 hours of partying and I ain't as young as I used to be....although I pace myself better. We each smoked 2 cigars and we walk out of there with a giant bag of cigars and goodies.

We had a smoking good time!

Thanks to everybody who worked on the Herf, thanks to the sponsors for making that giveaway table a real "Wow!" when you walk in the door and thanks to everybody who walked up, introduced themselves and made us feel like old friends.

edits:typos

Joe thanks for all the pictures! It was great meeting you and Merry, hopefully you'll make it next year!

I can't believe I just found out about this site Saturday night. This Herf was an hour and a half south of here. I did however bookmark the Hudson Valley Cigar shop so at least I know where that is. Great pics and diary Joe.

Does this Herf take place more than once a year?
Mrtapes

This was one GREAT herf :thumbs: Many thanks to Charlie and Tom. As always, the generosity of the BOTLs was tooo much; you guys know who I'm talking about. Met many new guys; Dave, Bob and Sam from the NJ club, Frank and others. Spent an hour talking to Paul Magier about his "swamp tobacco" and how he got into the cigar business; haven't tried one of his smokes yet.

Can't wait for the next one.

Maybe I'll eventually get to meet Bill.

I can't believe I just found out about this site Saturday night. This Herf was an hour and a half south of here. I did however bookmark the Hudson Valley Cigar shop so at least I know where that is. Great pics and diary Joe.

Does this Herf take place more than once a year?
Mrtapes

I believe this Quad State Herf takes place once a year, but stay tuned. There are sure to be more herfs at Schlesinger's as well as surrounding areas.

Great photos, Joe! It's almost like I was there with y'all.

And Anthony and Elliot, gotta have faith, brothas. :)

Wilkey

Well first off, I had a super time. It was great to see everyone and and the pics are great. I will post mine tonight as I am finally getting back into a normal routine as my house guests are gone and all is quiet on the western front. I want to personnaly thank all the sponsors for doing a great job again and making this great Herf a big hit. I think next year we might have to push the Quad State Herf III forward to the Memorial Day weekend so we can utilize the outdoor patio and allow more guests to attend as well. Joe & Merry, I'm glad you two enjoyed yourselves and it was great to see you guys. I'll be back on later this evening and post my pics and continue this thread........ :) :thumbs: :cool:

Well first off, I had a super time. It was great to see everyone and and the pics are great. I will post mine tonight as I am finally getting back into a normal routine as my house guests are gone and all is quiet on the western front. I want to personnaly thank all the sponsors for doing a great job again and making this great Herf a big hit. I think next year we might have to push the Quad State Herf III forward to the Memorial Day weekend so we can utilize the outdoor patio and allow more guests to attend as well. Joe & Merry, I'm glad you two enjoyed yourselves and it was great to see you guys. I'll be back on later this evening and post my pics and continue this thread........ :) :thumbs: :cool:

Charlie, a special thanks to you for crossing one off my wish list--you're tooooo KIND! :thumbs: I may come up there one Thursday evening and smoke it in front of you! :whistling:

I was going to pack my giant cigar caddy, but with all the stuff I was bringing, it just seemed like too much....so I wasn't able to reciprocate properly during the Herf
Yeah, you stingy bastid, Joe. That's what we are all thinking. You have only donated TWO heirloom quality cigar ashtrays. Again, great to meet you in person.

Tom

Wow...what great pictures. Thanks for sharing the experience, guys. I'm still so bummed that I missed this, was soooo looking forward to meeting everyone. Ended up getting stuck at work until 2am that night and the following night when I was hoping to meet Elliot, I ended back at the hotel at 4 am. Thank goodness everything got solved, I'm back home in Tucson, got some sleep and hopefully get a chance to smoke tonight.

Elliot, Thanks again for making so much effort to get me out. I'll make sure I'm there an extra day next time and I don't have to fight work to get out for a smoke.

Well, I haven't had a second to post until now. Great HERF, I don't know how it will be matched. I have some great cell phone video of Tom singing about how angy he was. :laugh: I'll try to post it later tonight after work. Thanks to everyone who made this HERF happen and to all the guys who tossed me some fine smokes. :blush:

Charlie, do you mean this Memorial day??