• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Recommend a smoker?

Jared Nomack

Vintage Human
Howdy All,

I want to get a smoker, but have no experience with them. Do you have a favorite? Recommendations? Electric, charcoal... etc.? Kinda want to keep it around $200 if possible, doesn't need to be huge, just for me and my family of four (five if you count the daughter's useless boyfriend)....

TIA,

Mark

Don't have much experience with other types, but I dig my Weber Smokey Mountain. Uses charcoal and you add in wood chunks. Need to fire it up again sooner rather than later.

I know a lot of people use the pellet smokers such as Traegers, and they do seem to be more user friendly, but when I was looking around for my first smoker the Weber seemed to get the most well-rounded marks in terms of price, ease of use, quality, and results.

Would like to get a stick burner someday but they can be pricey and more labor intensive to cook on.

had one of these for about ten years & they work great. :cool:
It has the electric element in the bottom so, the heat stays nice & constant.
They are a generic design, they can be found just about anywhere; likely for around a C note now days.

smoker.jpg

Howdy All,

I want to get a smoker, but have no experience with them. Do you have a favorite? Recommendations? Electric, charcoal... etc.? Kinda want to keep it around $200 if possible, doesn't need to be huge, just for me and my family of four (five if you count the daughter's useless boyfriend)....

TIA,

Mark
Add a 1 in front of your budget and get a Recteq

Add a 1 in front of your budget and get a Recteq
The "small" RecReqs they just put out are around $400, I think, if that's in the budget. If not, you can't go wrong with a WSM like Jeff said.

The "small" RecReqs they just put out are around $400, I think, if that's in the budget. If not, you can't go wrong with a WSM like Jeff said.
Is this what you are talking about?

Recteq makes good stuff, worth the cash. They also offer financing if that’s an option with pretty cheap monthly payments

Thanks, guys. I ended up just ordering a Dyna-Glo charcoal unit, mainly because I could get it delivered before the weekend. A friend has one and tells me it works great but you have to keep a close eye on it. So, I guess I'll have to set up a chair on the back patio... and sit out there with a smoke and a drink. Poor pitiful me, the sacrifices I make...

Mark,
For what its worth, i started with a $200 electric cabinet smoker, then moved to charcoal, then to the small Traeger, then to the Medium Recteq I linked above I wish I would have started with the Traeger or Recteq and saved a lot of money. I don't even use my grill except for a few times a year now. Everything turns out great on the smoker, even burgers and smaller things like that.

Is this what you are talking about?
Yep, I will be getting one at some point. I've got a big, charcoal one for big jobs, but I want something less attention intensive for small jobs.

Mark,
For what its worth, i started with a $200 electric cabinet smoker, then moved to charcoal, then to the small Traeger, then to the Medium Recteq I linked above I wish I would have started with the Traeger or Recteq and saved a lot of money. I don't even use my grill except for a few times a year now. Everything turns out great on the smoker, even burgers and smaller things like that.

Thank, Chad. We have a pellet stove at the house (fireplace insert), it's great when it's running. The only problem has been that sometimes pellets are hard to find locally. This winter was particularly challenging, and I found myself bring back a truckload from upstate NY... The other thing being, of course, pellet stoves require electricity to operate. So are useless during outages unless you connect to a generator. But I'm looking forward to trying this out, I've never used a smoker before at all.

Thank, Chad. We have a pellet stove at the house (fireplace insert), it's great when it's running. The only problem has been that sometimes pellets are hard to find locally. This winter was particularly challenging, and I found myself bring back a truckload from upstate NY... The other thing being, of course, pellet stoves require electricity to operate. So are useless during outages unless you connect to a generator. But I'm looking forward to trying this out, I've never used a smoker before at all.
I've never heard of the Dyna-glo, so please let us know how it is.

ETA: Went and checked them out. Which one did you get?

I went through 2 or 3 cheap charcoal smokers, then bought an electric. When I grow up, I will get a green egg.

@jfields can make some amazing stuff on his green egg!

This one:

Should be here tomorrow. So, a Memorial Day test run is in order.

I did the electric smoker thing for about ten years, like I previously posted, eventually tossed it & got the charcoal version. Man, was that a mistake.
Besides having to feed the 'machine' charcoal to maintain a constant/consistent heat, which was much less consistent than the electric version, I had to also keep track of the wood for the smoke. It was like a two wrongs didn't make a right kinda dingus. Also, when you use a charcoal smoker you get the residual 'flavor' from the charcoal which to me is not desirable.
You don't get that charcoal tainted flavor with the electric smoker & the electric offers that consistent 225 to 250 degree range, all without the hassle of feeding the 'machine' more fuel (charcoal) for 'heat.' With the electric version you also get the added benefit of only having to keep up with the smoking wood, and of course, the meat you are smoking. I learned my lesson.

I hope you like yours.

I went through 2 or 3 cheap charcoal smokers, then bought an electric. When I grow up, I will get a green egg.

@jfields can make some amazing stuff on his green egg!
That’s what I was going to chime in with before I read keeping it under $200. The BGE was one of those things like Humidors. I just wish I went big, or go home from the beginning. Wasted a lot of money upgrading along the way. When I finally splurged on the egg, I remember thinking “Where have you been all my life!!” 😂