• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Responsibility of the FOG's.

Great King Rat said:
Master I agree with you 100%.

I believe the days of lynching is over here on CP and I think most members will not tolerate it anymore. Folks come here to pass time and not to be told what to say or do. During the last 9 months that I have been on this board I have seen many public castration of newbs for no good reason and I have seen many unsolicited confrontations over silly stuff. I also have witnessed other nwebs were jumping on the bandwagon trying to score brownie points for some reason. I think if you are a newb you should stay away from any drama unfolding unless you are defending your self.

-thx
[snapback]299397[/snapback]​

If I see a person getting "lynched" as you put it and I think it's unjust, I simply step back and think to myself "I don't have all the information so I better not put my 2 cents in there". As it turns out, I'm usually right and it comes out that the lynching was deserved when all the information is revealed.
You'd probably be good to leave it at that instead of trying to change the way things are done Rat.

Matt R said:
Unless it has to do with a bad trading incident, box pass or some other financial transaction, it may be best to swallow your pride and use the tried and true method of ignoring the issue. This is what causes a lot of unrest
[snapback]299405[/snapback]​

True…but as The Master stated: “Going after people, calling them asshats, and making these people feel unwelcome is not what being a FOG is all about.”

A newbie might not know how to behave on these boards…but a FOG should.

Some noobs have deserved their public thrashings, but I have seen many witch hunts brought about because one of the newbs made the unfortunate mistake of simply disagreeing with one of the established FOGS.

The Master said:
I think a discussion is in order in regards to what the FOG's role is on a cigar BB. In my opinion we are here to help our new BOTL's in their passion for the leaf. Answering dumb questions, putting up with their newbiness, and making them feel comfortable asking any type of question is our duty as old guys.

Going after people, calling them asshats, and making these people feel unwelcome is not what being a FOG is all about. People need to remember we are a group of people that is hated by most of society. Fighting each other over stupid things is not what being a BOTL is about.

I have watched the last 2 days events transpire and I am dismayed by the amount of negative posting towards a few people. I think it is totally uncalled for and it needs to stop. Everyone needs to remember we are in this thing of ours because of our passion for everything that is cigars. Petty bickering over trivial matters is not what we are about. If you have a problem with someone, work it out. Do not try to gather support from your buddies to go after an individual and try and drive them off the board.

Unless someone has been proven to be a thief, or a bad trader, or a bad box passer, I think difference should be worked out like adults. I also think taking shots at someone for their grammar or spelling is the pettiest thing that someone can do to another person. We are not in English class, there are no points given for proper use of the English language. Leave that kind of sh#t off the site.

This is just the opinion of someone who has been on cigar websites since January of 1997, and has seen it all.
[snapback]299331[/snapback]​

Now that was well and eloquent put Harris from one FOG that I always looked up for many matters not only concerning cigars. Thanks for expressing your thoughts on this topic in much need of discussing. :thumbs:

I also would like to note that IMO some responsible public "policing" (not "lynching" if there is a reasonable dialog in progress) is needed to keep those bad apples from ruining the whole BOTL CP experience. Of course that should be done with certain style as well by the more established members.

Just my ash on the topic of course :)

Matt R said:
Great King Rat said:
I think if you are a newb you should stay away from any drama unfolding unless you are defending your self.
[snapback]299397[/snapback]​

Unless it has to do with a bad trading incident, box pass or some other financial transaction, it may be best to swallow your pride and use the tried and true method of ignoring the issue. This is what causes a lot of unrest. Prove to those who think of you in a bad light, that you're not what they say, by becoming a bigger person. Walk away young grasshopper, walk away. :)

Another excellent point Matt. If someones hand is caught in the cookie jar then you would expect a simple "Sorry, my bad, I understand now, will not do it again" answer. Unfortunately many "too smart for their own good" infractionist do not see it that way until the point was "hammered" by not only one respected member (i.e. FOG) but by a collective group. Sad, yet indeed very true. :(

Some noobs have deserved their public thrashings, but I have seen many witch hunts brought about because one of the newbs made the unfortunate mistake of simply disagreeing with one of the established FOGS.
[snapback]299420[/snapback]​

I don't think I've ever seen anyone get lynched for not agreeing with a FOG.

What I have seen is plenty of attitude with zero respect thrown out and THAT is what brings on the lynching.

The newb will generally fight back with the same attitude and try to bring their opinion as being the cause, but 99 times out of 100 it's the newbies lack of respect that causes it.

I usually find that it is best to stay out of things that do not involve me directly, both here and in life in general. One can sure save themselves a lot of "trouble" if they just do that. Piling on is almost always a pretty bad idea. However, if something absolutely must be said. . .

The "Golden Rule" is always a good practice to follow. Common courtesy and a little consideration for others is a good place to start when interacting with others.

"Listening" can also be a big help. It usually doesn't take too long to get the true gist of what someone has typed if one just stops for a minute to digest it. It isn't beneficial in the slightest to take someone to task for something that they truly didn't mean. Miscommunication is probably the biggest problem with the written word.

If more people just stopped to think for a minute before popping off to someone there would likely be less "drama" in their lives. Thinking about how one would hold a face to face conversation with another before posting is a REALLY good way to refrain from typing something that will bring a lot of grief.

Just my newbie view on things.

I think walking away doesn't always solve an issue. Most times an explaination is warranted or an apology is asked for and until that comes the issue isn't over. But the part about being a bigger person holds true still. If an apology is asked for and defineately (SP) if it is warranted, then one should man up and apologize. And a sincere apology at that. Problem is, people think that if they apologize then they are admitting fault and while most times that is the case it isn't always. Swallow your pride apologize sincerely and move on. Hell I apololgize to my wife sometimes and I have no idea what I am apologizing for but I do it and I do it sincerely because I know it will not improve until I do. Doesn't mean that I am wrong, just means that I want to be the bigger person and move on. Why? Because she is mad or hurt by me and that is worth apologizing for in and of itself.
IMO

P.S. Yes, she wears the pants.

SamClemmons said:
Get it settled then walk away.
[snapback]299413[/snapback]​

Neal, agreed, but getting it settled should not include four hundred posts and back and forth worthy of a Presidential debate. At some point, a guy's gotta bite the bullet and back off.

kiltedcraftsman said:
Master, Matt- Great Posts!! Well stated on both parts.

I made the mistake yesterday of going to some other boards that are frequented by what appears to be several members of CP. I say mistake because I read a lot of things that really got to me; members of CP that spoke differently there than they do here. Things that I would consider contradictory to eachother. Flat out hypocrisy in some cases.

At this point, I'm not sure I know a lot of you like I thought I did. I am starting to see where Matty V is coming from. I hope it changes soon.. ???
[snapback]299373[/snapback]​

You did not make a mistake, I saw the same threads. Amazing.

elvergun said:
Matt R said:
Unless it has to do with a bad trading incident, box pass or some other financial transaction, it may be best to swallow your pride and use the tried and true method of ignoring the issue. This is what causes a lot of unrest

True…but as The Master stated: “Going after people, calling them asshats, and making these people feel unwelcome is not what being a FOG is all about.”

A newbie might not know how to behave on these boards…but a FOG should.

Elever you are correct 100%

tdog said:
Prime Example of what I was getting at above

Notice how the thread ends.
[snapback]299444[/snapback]​

I figured my thread in the Buy Sell Trade room would come up sooner or later in this thread :blush:

Now, take it from someone who has EXPERIENCED this first hand. Yes, sometimes people make mistakes, like myself. Don't jump to conclusions that people are just out to get you. Many diffrent posts can be construed in any number of ways online simply because you can't see the persons reaction when they say it, their tone, and so on. In the end, when you calm down from being so pissed at a few people, you realize that they weren't out to hunt you down, simply help you out. MMM and BK, i hope you were just trying to help me out, right? Anyway, just understand that sometimes guys are just trying to help out

tjm5019 said:
tdog said:
Prime Example of what I was getting at above

Notice how the thread ends.
[snapback]299444[/snapback]​

I figured my thread in the Buy Sell Trade room would come up sooner or later in this thread :blush:

Now, take it from someone who has EXPERIENCED this first hand. Yes, sometimes people make mistakes, like myself. Don't jump to conclusions that people are just out to get you. Many diffrent posts can be construed in any number of ways online simply because you can't see the persons reaction when they say it, their tone, and so on. In the end, when you calm down from being so pissed at a few people, you realize that they weren't out to hunt you down, simply help you out. MMM and BK, i hope you were just trying to help me out, right? Anyway, just understand that sometimes guys are just trying to help out
[snapback]299464[/snapback]​

Good show Travis!!!! :thumbs:

tpntp said:

What I have seen is plenty of attitude with zero respect thrown out and THAT is what brings on the lynching.

The newb will generally fight back with the same attitude and try to bring their opinion as being the cause, but 99 times out of 100 it's the newbies lack of respect that causes it.
[snapback]299427[/snapback]​

Hate to disagree with you but I do. Case in point is how both Matty Vegas and Gtphale were treated for saying something against a established member.

Fights and disagreements are fine, being chased from thread to thread and being harassed is not.

And please do share with us your list of names Sam, since that seems the only reason you log in to this place anymore.

Master.
Very well said I could not agree with you more.

In the short time I have been here I have made lots of friends and a few enemies.

This is a very enjoyable board that has a wealth of information and overall has some great BOTL's. That is why I chose to stay here and not be run off.

Like kilted said in his post, I was also disappointed by some of the things said on another board about CP members. The good thing is now i know where some of you ppl stand in regards to CP and some of its members here.

Very well said, Harris. I truly appreciate this post.

There are a lot of great folks on this board. I've met a few of you, have plans to meet more of you in the near future, and hope to meet a lot of you in the farther future. We've shared some great cigars, laughed, shared stories, etc. That is what this place is about. It is about conversing, sharing, trading...it is a community. It is about a bunch of guys (and some gals) from different cross sections of life, sharing a passion.

Matt, I appreciate your follow-up post just as much.

Are there going to be fights and scraps and disagreements? Yes, there are. I disagree with people all the time. Doesn't mean I don't like them. It just means we don't see eye to eye all the time. That's OK. Really.

I agree with Harris as well...when it comes to bad traders, cigar thieves, or scammers, they need to be run off. If you just don't like someone, leave it be. Everyone is not going to like everyone. It just won't happen. If you must pursue it, take it off the board (email, etc.). The rest of us shouldn't have to suffer through it.

The golden rule applies very well here on the board. As does respect shown is respect earned. Respect has little to do with when you started on the board, it has to do with how you conduct yourself. ANYONE can earn respect and ANYONE can prove themselves unworthy of it.

Just my random thoughts on the matter at hand.

Wurm said:
tpntp said:

[snapback]299427[/snapback]​

Hate to disagree with you but I do. Case in point is how both Matty Vegas and Gtphale were treated for saying something against a established member.

Fights and disagreements are fine, being chased from thread to thread and being harassed is not.

And please do share with us your list of names Sam, since that seems the only reason you log in to this place anymore.
[snapback]299484[/snapback]​

Well Said Wurm, I would like to know the list too Sam.

SC, if you do search on your own posts and your buddies posts, some of which have been banned from multiple boards you will find out who has been lynched. In my case I was even followed and baited on another board.

being a newbie here I will say that I try to THINK before I jump in. Besides if it does not have anything to do with me why do I need to be involved.