• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Responsibility of the FOG's.

The Master said:
I think a discussion is in order in regards to what the FOG's role is on a cigar BB. In my opinion we are here to help our new BOTL's in their passion for the leaf. Answering dumb questions, putting up with their newbiness, and making them feel comfortable asking any type of question is our duty as old guys.

Going after people, calling them asshats, and making these people feel unwelcome is not what being a FOG is all about. People need to remember we are a group of people that is hated by most of society. Fighting each other over stupid things is not what being a BOTL is about.

I have watched the last 2 days events transpire and I am dismayed by the amount of negative posting towards a few people. I think it is totally uncalled for and it needs to stop. Everyone needs to remember we are in this thing of ours because of our passion for everything that is cigars. Petty bickering over trivial matters is not what we are about. If you have a problem with someone, work it out. Do not try to gather support from your buddies to go after an individual and try and drive them off the board.

Unless someone has been proven to be a thief, or a bad trader, or a bad box passer, I think difference should be worked out like adults. I also think taking shots at someone for their grammar or spelling is the pettiest thing that someone can do to another person. We are not in English class, there are no points given for proper use of the English language. Leave that kind of sh#t off the site.

This is just the opinion of someone who has been on cigar websites since January of 1997, and has seen it all.
[snapback]299331[/snapback]​

Wisdom from a lover of the leaf. Great post.

60 replies to the original post, and 9 are from people w/ more than a year here. But I am going to leave that one alone.

I have been here for a little while, and what I have noticed is this:
-Don't post unless you truely have something genuine to add. Bandwagons might be a fun ride, but they do break down.
- Even established members catch flack when going against the "encumbant party". Not worth it unless you know you are %100 right.
- The more you throw around your "thought's" on a situation, the more often people are going to think you are an ass. Saying less more often is better because the one time you need support, you don't want people blowing you off because you have had a lot to say about everything else.
- Don't pick sides in anything. Judge every instance on it's own merit.
- FOG are sometimes wrong, but if you are going to call em on it, do it in a PM first.
- Speak softly, make sure your facts when you do, and stand your ground.

I am sure there are a few other things, but I am sure a newb will probably point out everything I missed.

-Emo

emodx said:
60 replies to the original post, and 9 are from people w/ more than a year here. But I am going to leave that one alone.

I have been here for a little while, and what I have noticed is this:
-Don't post unless you truely have something genuine to add. Bandwagons might be a fun ride, but they do break down.
- Even established members catch flack when going against the "encumbant party". Not worth it unless you know you are %100 right.
- The more you throw around your "thought's" on a situation, the more often people are going to think you are an ass. Saying less more often is better because the one time you need support, you don't want people blowing you off because you have had a lot to say about everything else.
- Don't pick sides in anything. Judge every instance on it's own merit.
- FOG are sometimes wrong, but if you are going to call em on it, do it in a PM first.
- Speak softly, make sure your facts when you do, and stand your ground.

I am sure there are a few other things, but I am sure a newb will probably point out everything I missed.

-Emo
[snapback]299761[/snapback]​

This is EXACTLY what I meant with my previous post. I am still a newbie, in every sense of the word, which is why I haven't been giving my "thoughts" and "advice" on the situation. I guess I just get frustrated seeing other newbies speak so "profoundly" about scenarios which they likely know little to nothing about. I think I'll go back to reading now. Thanks to all newbies who have set me straight on how shit should be done around here. I am forever grateful. :rolleyes:

I certainly hope my post wasn't construed as me telling any FOG how to conduct their business. I was simply posting the way that I see things in general as a newbie. It was really meant to show how I (as a newbie) avoid being caught up in all of the nonsense.

I was not directing my comments at anybody in particular nor at any particular situation.

Perhaps I should take my own advice and stay out of this conversation since it doesn't really directly concern me.

LilBastage said:
I certainly hope my post wasn't construed as me telling any FOG how to conduct their business. I was simply posting the way that I see things in general as a newbie. It was really meant to show how I (as a newbie) avoid being caught up in all of the nonsense.

I was not directing my comments at anybody in particular nor at any particular situation.

Perhaps I should take my own advice and stay out of this conversation since it doesn't really directly concern me.
[snapback]299792[/snapback]​

I didn't see anything bad about what you wrote... Looked pretty logical and well thought out to me...

emodx said:

[snapback]299761[/snapback]​

Amen brother....here's to hoping I never know it all..... :cool:

cohibasurfer said:
So... what's a FOG?
[snapback]299837[/snapback]​

If only there were some sort of guide to help explain it... :laugh:

SamClemmons said:
cohibasurfer said:
So... what's a FOG?
[snapback]299837[/snapback]​
Who's this guy? Ain't you been hangin' at the fambly?

NA
[snapback]299903[/snapback]​
???

Daburnit... a guy can't even get a straight answer around these parts any more.

I feel like I'm more in tune with the irresponsibility of a FOG.

And I do like Neal and Matt (in general). :D But never at the same time.

More reading, less posting has been my motto. I usually pm someone if I have something to ask, simply because I want straight answeres without all the crap. Thanks for the great posts Master and MattR. Your posts are encouragement to want to participate more in this site.

Thank You

Lkyman

Given a few of the threads over the past couple weeks, I thought this should be topped. Notice paragraph four.

Patrick

Given a few of the threads over the past couple weeks, I thought this should be topped. Notice paragraph four.

Patrick
I was going to say something myself. It seems many people have been quick to jump on people for the pettiest of mistakes lately. I thing we all need to step back and realize that we all make mistakes and can't all be perfect. People are going to have questions which we may consider "dumb", but to the person asking, it isn't. To that person, all they want is to learn about this fine hobby of ours. I don't know everything there is to know about cigars, but I try my best to help people and ask questions myself. Remember, every single person here was the new guy at one point.

Patrick

That is Harris' opinion but not mine or others LC. Harris has been a member of other boards many of which I'm not aware of but he's relatively new here. This is the first time I've seen this thread and I completely disagree with this:
I also think taking shots at someone for their grammar or spelling is the pettiest thing that someone can do to another person. We are not in English class, there are no points given for proper use of the English language. Leave that kind of sh#t off the site.

As I have said before, people who constantly spell things wrong and use words improperly make a site look bad. When I recommend sites to others and they come to those sites and see people writing like morons, they are immediately turned off and then ask me why I would post on a board that is obviously populated with a fair number of illiterates and/or lazy people who are too sloppy to show respect for the board. The only people that get their spelling and improper use of words pointed out are those who do it to the point where it is a concern and it should be pointed out. Most times when their errors are pointed out, it is not done in a mean or nasty way. Reasonable people know they were wrong and don't take it personally however others consider it a personal attack which is ridiculous. If you don't like being criticized for being wrong, then stop being wrong.

I have had MANY people mention to me that what attracted them to this site and other sites like CigarSnobs and CigarSmokers is that a majority of the posts are written obviously by some reasonably intelligent and/or bright people, unlike other sites like StogieChat or the infamous LetsTalkCigars where the major poster's and the site owner's posts were laden with errors and immature internet lingo which make the site sophomoric and cheesy.

Maybe I'm missing the point of why you made particular mention to paragraph four of Harris' initial post. If I have, how about you be so kind as to point out some particular threads that led you to make this post. Your vague generalizations don't accomplish much.

Whatever happened to naming names, posting links, being specific about a particular beef? There is absolutely nothing wrong with mentioning spelling errors. I make an effort to choose my words carefully and spell them correctly. I figure helping a brother out with his ignorance is part of the job. By the way "ignorance" has nothing to do with the "ability to learn" and everything to do with the "desire to learn". Ignorance is a choice.

NA

Here we go again - things need to be changed... :rolleyes:

Let me see if I'm getting this straight... Don't point out the "petty" mistakes... But there was a recent call for others to "mentor" newbies... Hmmm....

Which is it? Don't say anything when someone screws up (even if it is "petty") for the sake of keeping the peace. Or keep the peace by insuring the site doesn't go down the tubes because there's a governor on everyone doing as they please. I choose the latter - but then again - that may not necessarily be the popular opinion for a few...

I agree with Neal - rather than a vague reference to some possible transgressions which upset one or two members - how about specific examples of those transgressions so that we can discuss the merits of the concern. Of course, that would mean there will be ruffled feathers and a heated discussion. And of course that would mean a "calling out", of sorts.

Somehow, however, I feel it's an ego fed thing - being corrected is not always well received, especially when it involves admitting a mistake or a flaw. But - if the community is concerned about it, and it needs to be addressed, it needs to be addressed community wide... ;)