• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RH to Temp Question

EliWaynne

I read through the sticky on this issue. It made sense, but maybe this early in the morning it's not fully coming together for me :)

Based on what the guy at my cigar shop suggested, I bought 72% humidity packs. However, in Sacramento, it is frickin hot. And although my AC is turned on, the bedroom still stays at around 80+, rarely if it does, maybe high 70's. Then at night it drops down if the weather cools down.

I've been struggling to keep my humidor at 72% mark, or lower. It keeps going up to 74-76%. Then I open it a bit for a few minutes, and close it again.

I've also noticed that my temp gauge is showing a high of around 85-86 F inside. Based on what I read in the sticky, this is not a good thing. Heat in general isn't good, plus if I'm not mistaken, beetle issues arise. So I'm at a loss at what to do.

Is it ok if the temp is that high? If I lower the humidity pack during these summer months (here it's about 10 of the 12, but anyways, I digress....) will the temp be ok? Or is a temp above 80 no good, no matter what the humidity is?

I also have a big Boveda bag with a 69% pack inside holding the bulk of my cigars until I figure other things out. I don't have a gauge in there so I'm not sure how hot it's getting, but I'm assuming in a similar range?

What to do?

I would STRONGLY suggest you get your cigars out of that environment ASAP. Any time you go above 70% or 70 degrees you are asking for mold. If you are above both, it's just a matter of time until mold breaks out.

Basement? Closet floor? Anywhere to protect your stuff.

If I used a lower humidity pack 63% or 69%, would that off set some of the heat?

I did move the humidor to a different room yesterday that is a little cooler, high was 76F and maintained a 71% RH. That did seem to help.

It's a room that I would prefer not to use. It's just on the really hot days (it's been over 100F for almost 2 weeks here) that my bedroom heats up. I was hoping that maybe decreasing the Humidity would offset some of the extra heat.

I don't know how many cigars you have, but I think you should consider a wineador or something to that effect. Something that can maintain temp and seal good enough to keep your humidity down. I agree with Jeff, you are asking for trouble above 70 on either side.

Also, something to note, not sure if this makes a difference at all, but it's not a consistent 70+. It's mainly during the heat of the day. Once night comes and the morning, it usually drops to around 70 or below. Will the lower temp during other parts of the day help at all?

I will be taking some better measurements to sew this up a little tighter.

Obviously, the higher the RH, the more the temp can do harm but in 75+ degrees, you would need to keep the RH below a smokable %.

If this has been going on for a few weeks or more, I'd be willing to bet @CigSid Bill's entire collection of cigars that you already have mold, you just haven't found it yet.

Do these things yesterday!
  1. Get some colloidal silver to wipe the mold off with.
  2. Get some 69% beads or Boveda packs.
  3. Get your stuff out of the heat, even the fridge if you have to until you can get a Wineador like Chad suggested.
  4. Don't put any new cigars in with the old ones until you know you have stabilized everything for a few weeks.
  5. Keep checking for mold, if you catch it soon enough, you can wipe it off and smoke em.

If I used a lower humidity pack 63% or 69%, would that off set some of the heat?

Do you have central or window unit(s)? Can you close off areas of your home that you spend little time in?

You gotta do what cigarstone said stat.

I have only had the cigars for a few days at this point. Would it be ok to put them in the fridge?

I can also replace the pack with a 63% pack if need be. I found a couple at the cigar shop and picked them up.

Do you have central or window unit(s)? Can you close off areas of your home that you spend little time in?

You gotta do what cigarstone said stat.
I have central air. Not really any place to section off. A cabinet maybe, but that is an enclosed area in one of the other rooms.

I have central air. Not really any place to section off. A cabinet maybe, but that is an enclosed area in one of the other rooms.

I'd get some blackout curtains and close a couple vents somewhere during the day directing more AC to room they're in. When back home from work you can assess. You may even wanna get a 3M window kit.. and no, not a kit from @MilesMingusMonk, the other 3M. Duck brand is good too. 🦆

Can you control temp for each room or do you have just one central tstat? Lastly, does the room have a ceiling fan? If not, think about investing in one.. or minimally a box fan to get some air moving around and directed.

I'd get some blackout curtains and close a couple vents somewhere during the day directing more AC to room they're in. When back home from work you can assess. You may even wanna get a 3M window kit.. and no, not a kit from @MilesMingusMonk, the other 3M. Duck brand is good too. 🦆

Can you control temp for each room or do you have just one central tstat? Lastly, does the room have a ceiling fan? If not, think about investing in one.. or minimally a box fan to get some air moving around and directed.
And DO NOT put them in the refrigerator!

I have film installed on my windows already that is supposed to cool the room down. I installed that awhile back due to the afternoons in the summertime. I also have black out curtains hanging on our windows, on top of a pull down shade.

Thermostat is 1 control for the whole house. All rooms have ceiling fans, and they run often, in my room all damn day. In the other rooms, not so much. I could run the fan in another room, but I don't have control over it all the time. Me, my wife, and my sister live together. There are 3 rooms. My sisters room (much cooler since she is closer to the AC output), the room we designate for hobbies, and keep the 2 litter boxes in for the cats, and Me and my wife room, the hottest, as it is the farthest away from the AC output. The people that designed the AC ducts were complete idiots after looking up in the attic. Story for another day.

Even if I do get a wine fridge, it will take a few days to a week or so it looks like to get it operational as a humidor.

I'll be honest, when I bought the cigars, I thought that the humidity was the important part. It wasn't until later I realized that temp is equally as important.

I'm trying my best to come up with even a sort of, might, should, work situation, to buy me some time to figure out a long term plan.

I did move the humidor to a different room yesterday that is a little cooler, high was 76F and maintained a 71% RH. That did seem to help.

It's a room that I would prefer not to use. It's just on the really hot days (it's been over 100F for almost 2 weeks here) that my bedroom heats up. I was hoping that maybe decreasing the Humidity would offset some of the extra heat.

If I remember, you're using a small glasstop from CI, right?

Guys, what if in the interim he put a squishy ice pack in a sandwich ziploc and swapped it 2x/day? Just put it in the humi off to the side to at least get that internal temp down?

If I remember, you're using a small glasstop from CI, right?

Guys, what if in the interim he put a squishy ice pack in a sandwich ziploc and swapped it 2x/day? Just put it in the humi off to the side to at least get that internal temp down?
Correct. I have one small acrylic humidor. I also have a Large Boveda Bag with a 69% pack in there with the majority of my cigars. At this point though I don't know.... If I can cut the loses on even some of them, that's better than tossing my entire purchase away.

I've been looking at making a wineador.... Lots of info... Am I correct in my assumption? It's basically getting a thermoelectric wine fridge, wipe the inside with vinegar and distilled water, and using baking soda to get any smells out, and then putting boveda packs in until I reach my desired humidity? Then I can just put the cigars in? Are the cedar shelves and anything extra just aesthetics, or required?

I've been looking at making a wineador.... Lots of info... Am I correct in my assumption? It's basically getting a thermoelectric wine fridge, wipe the inside with vinegar and distilled water, and using baking soda to get any smells out, and then putting boveda packs in until I reach my desired humidity? Then I can just put the cigars in? Are the cedar shelves and anything extra just aesthetics, or required?
pretty much right

Correct. I have one small acrylic humidor. I also have a Large Boveda Bag with a 69% pack in there with the majority of my cigars. At this point though I don't know.... If I can cut the loses on even some of them, that's better than tossing my entire purchase away.

Don't go chucking anything just yet. Do what @CigarStone said and give them a bit.