• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

(Serious) Tequila recommendations

Had an comedian a few years ago request this on their rider and was very strict about having it. Had to order it special back then.
https://www.oldtowntequila.com/4-copas-organic-blanco-tequila/

He would take one shot, go on stage, finish his set and go straight to his limo to his jet and home. SOOOOOOO, we got to finish the bottle that night! And it was amazing!! Like drinking water. Very smooth and relaxing...

That's because he is a part owner in the company. I am guessing on the name of course but even if it wasn't him I bet it was requested because of him
https://www.oldtowntequila.com/brands/Number-Juan.html

My buddy brought over a bottle of Corralejo this weekend. I'd seen it many times but never tried. Well, I would recommend it. Went down smooth.

Well, I just bought a bottle of Kirkland (Costco) Silver Tequila for $19.99 on a recommendation from a friend....so I don't know how "serious" this should be taken. I bought it for mix drinks and tequila based shots. I've heard good things about Kirkland liqueurs over the years but never tried them. Today I was passing the Costco in Edison, NJ and swung by. I also bought bottles of their French vodka, American vodka, their version of spiced rum, and a dry gin too.

Prior to today, I've always bought Patron in all their variants for both mixed drinks & shots. We're big on shots...0D987EDA-F329-44E0-B42A-5F1D586BE76F.jpeg

Well, I just bought a bottle of Kirkland (Costco) Silver Tequila for $19.99 on a recommendation from a friend....so I don't know how "serious" this should be taken. I bought it for mix drinks and tequila based shots. I've heard good things about Kirkland liqueurs over the years but never tried them. Today I was passing the Costco in Edison, NJ and swung by. I also bought bottles of their French vodka, American vodka, their version of spiced rum, and a dry gin too.

Prior to today, I've always bought Patron in all their variants for both mixed drinks & shots. We're big on shots...View attachment 26260
Now you are talking my language. Taking shots between drinking water I rarely have a hangover anymore. Depends on the liquor too

Prior to today, I've always bought Patron in all their variants for both mixed drinks & shots. We're big on shots...View attachment 26260
I would love to hear your thoughts on the Kirkland stuff.

Gran centenario reposado. Smooth as silk, way too easy to drink. Very reasonably priced around $20-$30 a bottle.

I believe Kirkland is rebranded brand name stuff. I remember a rumor years ago that Kirkland scotch was just rebranded The Macallan. I don't know how true that is/was but I think their stuff is a safe bet.

I believe Kirkland is rebranded brand name stuff. I remember a rumor years ago that Kirkland scotch was just rebranded The Macallan. I don't know how true that is/was but I think their stuff is a safe bet.

I heard this too. If the bottle shape looks like a brand you know, it is just a white labeled Costco branded grey goose.

I heard this too. If the bottle shape looks like a brand you know, it is just a white labeled Costco branded grey goose.

Yeah, that was what I've heard & read over the last few years as well. Once I dig in to them, I'll report back. I think I'm starting with a dirty vodka martini with a handful of olives...then I'll know how close it is to Grey Goose. If it passes that test, it's good. ;)

Don Julio gold is a favorite of mine. You can typically find it for about $45-$50 a bottle. Worth it! It’s been my experience that anything under $40-$50 a bottle is going to be mixer/shot tequila versus sipping

So for a tequila novice, do you recommend starting off with a Blanco or one of the other levels of tequila-ness?

That’s a hard question to answer. Disclaimer, I am nowhere near a tequila expert, I only know what I like lol. That being said, trying things and finding what you like is the best way to answer that question.

I’ll attempt to put it in context to cigars. Imagine you just bought a cab of plpcs:
You grab one to smoke the second the box arrives at your door. That’s going to be you blanco tequila.

Now, let that cab sit in it’s cedar box for one year. That will be your resposado tequila (though age time would be more like a month or two and it would be oak aged as opposed to cedar).

Finally, it’s been five years since you started testing that cab. This is where you get your anejo tequila. (1-2 in tequila years aged in oak).

There are more factors than that, but that’s the most relatable format I could put it in here. And all this being said, everyone enjoys things differently. There may be a person who thinks freshly rolled plpcs are way better than 5 year aged (doubtful) because taste is subjective. I personally like more complexity, so I gravitate towards the two latter options.

I hope this helped and didn’t waste too much time of your day 😎

Cheers

That’s a hard question to answer. Disclaimer, I am nowhere near a tequila expert, I only know what I like lol. That being said, trying things and finding what you like is the best way to answer that question.

I’ll attempt to put it in context to cigars. Imagine you just bought a cab of plpcs:
You grab one to smoke the second the box arrives at your door. That’s going to be you blanco tequila.

Now, let that cab sit in it’s cedar box for one year. That will be your resposado tequila (though age time would be more like a month or two and it would be oak aged as opposed to cedar).

Finally, it’s been five years since you started testing that cab. This is where you get your anejo tequila. (1-2 in tequila years aged in oak).

There are more factors than that, but that’s the most relatable format I could put it in here. And all this being said, everyone enjoys things differently. There may be a person who thinks freshly rolled plpcs are way better than 5 year aged (doubtful) because taste is subjective. I personally like more complexity, so I gravitate towards the two latter options.

I hope this helped and didn’t waste too much time of your day 😎

Cheers
That is a good analogy

Just to jump in here, we love corralejo over here, as well as Cabo Wabo though I think it’s changed some because Sammy sold off the brand (not sure if this is true?), and I know that’s not high end enough likely for people who truly enjoy it. lol

The other day I ran into a bottle of sammys newest stuff Santo Mezquila. Never seen it here in Michigan so it must have been a special order so I picked it up. Has anyone tried this yet? I have yet to open it but the bottle looks pretty cool lol.

Don‘t usually “splurge” on a purchase like this of something I’ve never had, but I had looked high and low for it a few months back here in Michigan so when I saw it I couldn’t stop myself. It’s not super expensive, but expensive enough.

Anyone try the People’s Tequila Teramana yet? I’m curious about it. Might buy it next pay cycle.