• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shocking beer?

Devil Doc

When Death smiles, Corpsmen smile back
My daughter's love interest owns a bar. Yup, I drink cheap, but the other day the Guinness rep. was in and he wanted to install a device that runs an electrical current through the beer bottle. This process takes about 20 min and supposedly improves the quality and taste of the brew. Any of you Hop-heads heard of this, or even better, drank electrocuted beer?

Doc.

I've never heard of it, but then again I'm not a hop-head and I live in Montana...

No never heard of it Doc. Did he say why it was supposed to make the beer bottled better? Its not often that you see Guinness poured out of bottles around here and to be frank I would think that the cost of putting these on all the bottles would be cost prohibitive. If it were some gimmick to clean the tap system or something similiar I might be able to understand that, but as it stands I can't imagine what an electrical charge would do to a bottle of beer.

Brandon

I've seen this in a few bars up around here. Don't know exactly what it does to the beer.

First, it's ultrasonic waves (sound), not an electrical current...glass isn't a very good conductor (it's an insulator). From what I can tell this is just a gimmick to get the "draught-quality" taste from a canned beer...much along the lines of what they did with the widget. My guess is the gas (Nitrogen) is suspended in the beer, and the sound waves "release" it. IMO, if you're going to to through the trouble of installing this and having to spend 2x as long to serve every pint, why not just put in a nitro draught line and bring in kegs (which is probably cheaper)?

That being said, I personally think nitrogen ruins the taste of a beer.

I wonder if helium would make it taste better ???

The bar at the bowling alley has that device. I am a Guinness drinker and I don't think there is a difference in taste or anything. I think it is for show but that is just me.

The bar and the bowling alley has that device. I am a Guinness drinker and I don't think there is a difference in taste or anything. I think it is for show but that is just me.
She smokes cigars, drinks beer and Bowls. Somebody marry this woman! :laugh:

Doc.

I checked with a bar last night and they told me that it is just to make a nice head on the glass of beer. Nothing more. It "shakes" the beer a bit, making all the little bubbles go to the top, thus creating a nice head.

The bar and the bowling alley has that device. I am a Guinness drinker and I don't think there is a difference in taste or anything. I think it is for show but that is just me.
She smokes cigars, drinks beer and Bowls. Somebody marry this woman! :laugh:

Doc.

And I am kinda cute too!! :whistling: Yes, please someone marry me!! :thumbs:

The easiest way to make beer taste better is to drink it out of a keg. Bottles and cans are "ok" but don't compare to the taste of properly stored keg beer.

Living here in the PDX area there are a couple million micro brew houses around, and great keg beer is available everywhere. I can drink a bottle of beer at home - If I'm out and about, I want keg beer.

B.B.S.