• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sliding Glass humidor

CBoukal

Impeached Staff Member
Staff member
I think I know the answer to this but I want to ask anyway. Someone on Facebook has this humidor posted very close to me. Sliding glass doors sounds like a horrible idea, but can it work? is there a way to make this hold humidity or am I right in thinking I should punt?
humidor.jpgHumidor 2.jpg

Absolutely no way brother... it would be a battle against nature, and nature will win...

Another thing is the fixed display shelves, no way to put more than 1 box without it sliding off...

That’s more of a store display humidor Chad. Quick turnover of cigars and easy access for the consumer vs. long term storage and aging. You can probably make it work, but you’ll need active humidification, and a lot of distilled water. I see those from time to time and contemplate it. But, then I think what a pain in the dick it will be always fiddling with it.

That’s more of a store display humidor Chad. Quick turnover of cigars and easy access for the consumer vs. long term storage and aging. You can probably make it work, but you’ll need active humidification, and a lot of distilled water. I see those from time to time and contemplate it. But, then I think what a pain in the dick it will be always fiddling with it.
Ha ha.. I beat you to it 😂

Thanks I appreciate the insight. I was just reading actually and found your same answer in 2008 :)

He wants $750 for it, I told him I'd give him $300 if he wanted to just get rid of it.. I think he is offended so there's that... But your are right, I think I would always be fighting this.

Absolutely no way brother... it would be a battle against nature, and nature will win...

Another thing is the fixed display shelves, no way to put more than 1 box without it sliding off...
I appreciate your help! I really wanted to pull trigger so I posted here hoping you guys would walk me in off the ledge.

Thanks I appreciate the insight. I was just reading actually and found your same answer in 2008 :)

He wants $750 for it, I told him I'd give him $300 if he wanted to just get rid of it.. I think he is offended so there's that... But your are right, I think I would always be fighting this.
Chad, don’t even think about it brother... My good friend had the exact same thing about 10 years ago... we tried everything to get it to work, even took the glass out and made doors... still didn't work 😝 Wasted time and money...

Honestly, I wouldn’t even pay that for it. I remember looking at that one you’re talking about when I lived in West Virginia back then. I would look at that thing every time I walked in for a few months. Couldn’t really conceive of a way to seal the glass where it would function and not look like garbage.

It reminds of a cabinet style humidor that I had years ago. It wasn't the most well crafted piece of furniture I've seen but it looked nice. The problem was trying to control the humidity. Living in Florida, I finally gave up and sold it.

Have things gotten better with regards to humidors using tempered sliding glass doors? I recently got a quote from a humidor manufacturing company and they exclusively use the sliding glass door method. They advised me that their entire business is based on the functionality and quality of their tempered sliding glass door system. They use a felt wiper gasket system that assures humidity remains inside the humidor, they test each one with the dollar bill method.

They described this method to me because I specifically requested wood doors, but their reply was that they can't control wood swing doors from warping and that they eliminate this with the sliders.

Below are some of the specifics of the build:

Dimensions - 28" W x 18" D x 36" T
Constructed of Ribbon Stripe Sapele Mahogany with Solid Mahogany Trim
Solid Mahogany Base
Glued, Screwed & Dowel Construction
UNFINISHED
Sliding Tempered Glass Doors
Felt Wiper Gasket mounted to edge of Front Glass to maintain humidity
Qty 4 - Spanish Cedar Adjustable Slatted Bins w/ 3 Adjustable Dividers

Just curious if anyone has a humidor with the slider system for residential use and if they've had problems with the glass.

Also curious if anyone knows (good or bad) about these Newsham humidors - https://newshamswoodshop.com/

Thank you

They certainly look more commercial than residential. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. You can make glass humidors seal correctly I'd think. They have a few google reviews that look fine.

Have things gotten better with regards to humidors using tempered sliding glass doors? I recently got a quote from a humidor manufacturing company and they exclusively use the sliding glass door method. They advised me that their entire business is based on the functionality and quality of their tempered sliding glass door system. They use a felt wiper gasket system that assures humidity remains inside the humidor, they test each one with the dollar bill method.

They described this method to me because I specifically requested wood doors, but their reply was that they can't control wood swing doors from warping and that they eliminate this with the sliders.

Below are some of the specifics of the build:

Dimensions - 28" W x 18" D x 36" T
Constructed of Ribbon Stripe Sapele Mahogany with Solid Mahogany Trim
Solid Mahogany Base
Glued, Screwed & Dowel Construction
UNFINISHED
Sliding Tempered Glass Doors
Felt Wiper Gasket mounted to edge of Front Glass to maintain humidity
Qty 4 - Spanish Cedar Adjustable Slatted Bins w/ 3 Adjustable Dividers

Just curious if anyone has a humidor with the slider system for residential use and if they've had problems with the glass.

Also curious if anyone knows (good or bad) about these Newsham humidors - https://newshamswoodshop.com/

Thank you
Do not hesitate to pull the trigger on a newsham if its in your budget. I know a couple of people that have them and love them. And a bunch of the good shops around here use them.

They certainly look more commercial than residential. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. You can make glass humidors seal correctly I'd think. They have a few google reviews that look fine.
They do do more commercial stuff , but they also do home and custom stuff.

Another place you could check is vigilante
I was between them and newshams.

Nate, thanks for the assurance, I'm still on the fence.

Here is a link they provided as well as more details on the fitment of the glass system -

Newsham - The Glass door panels each sit in a metal shoe with rollers that slide on a
metal track. The Top of the Glass doors have plastic clips that guide
the doors in the top track. We line the metal track on each side with foam gasket

so the glass doors are also tight to the track when hitting the foam.

From my experience, the best anti-humidity doors you can look for are plastic ones, or you can look for waterproof wooden models, especially french models. Usually, french models have a good wood texture. They are thick so that they can work as anti-humidity doors with no problem. Make sure that you will add to add the rubber pads so they will provide better water protection isolation. You can order french doors with this customization feature from the doorsdirect2u. If you have any concerns or additional features to add to their support service would be glad to help you.

From my experience, the best anti-humidity doors you can look for are plastic ones, or you can look for waterproof wooden models, especially french models. Usually, french models have a good wood texture. They are thick so that they can work as anti-humidity doors with no problem. Make sure that you will add to add the rubber pads so they will provide better water protection isolation. You can order french doors with this customization feature from the doorsdirect2u. If you have any concerns or additional features to add to their support service would be glad to help you.
Reported!